Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Maybe1day
      This article was from about a week ago, but i wonder how in/out of context all the responses from Dr. Khalili were, and if they're really seeing that level of success.   http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/features/oral-and-genital-herpes-four-experimental-treatment-strategies/20201735.article#CRISPRCAS9 "But now researchers believe they may have developed a way to permanently remove this unwelcome guest. They are using a gene editing tool, CRISPR/Cas9, which can target and cut specific sections of DNA. At Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, researchers are using the technique to target viruses, crippling their ability to replicate. The idea is to “eliminate the virus completely”, says Kamel Khalili, chair of the university’s department of neuroscience. The strategy has already had some success at treating HIV in pre-clinical studies. Now, the researchers have adapted the technology to target the herpes simplex genome and are currently studying it in animal models. Although the results are not yet available, it’s looking “very promising”, Khalili adds. Two different sections of herpes DNA were targeted in laboratory studies, which reduced viral replication to zero in infected nerve cells[5]. The targeted DNA sequences were from HSV1 but identical to the HSV2 sequences, meaning that it “should work for both”, says Khalili. In animals, the system can either be applied topically to the skin or packaged in an inert virus that transports it to infected cells deeper in the tissues. It “appears to be extremely safe”, Khalili says, with no effect on the cell’s own DNA sequence. The technology developed by Temple University has already been used to establish a biotechnology company called Excision Biotherapeutics, also based in Philadelphia, in which Khalili is a stakeholder. In six months, the company hopes to have completed the animal studies and is “rapidly advancing towards the clinic”, he says. And if all goes well, Khalili says the treatment will be available for patients in less than five years and “could be used for whoever has the virus".
    • brookeb300
    • OhFuckMyDickHurts
      As a woman you can have kids while positive for HSV-2. You just need to plan ahead the birth and such. 
    • brookeb300
      I was just asking.  I'm not doing research on it.  There isnt a lot of good research.  Its a case by case thing I think.  sorry it puts me in a really bad mood.
    • Clearme
    • Maybe1day
      @Clearme Sure hope so. I obviously don't think they're dummies. Also, that conference was almost 2 weeks ago, still haven't heard or read any news or articles about it. 
    • Clearme
      Great Point!   Unlike anyone on this board they have decades of combined experience dealing with this virus and I feel confident they have thought this through very thoroughly. Do you think they would go to a National Conference in Boston and not have thought through these obvious concerns?  Like I said before, Dr. Bloom chose to study vector delivery years ago when he won the 50k HSV Pepsi challenge instead of chasing vaccines and the like which upset a lot of people on this board. He was looking long term and here it comes! There's your hope! rAAVs have many variations and these guys are no dummies....read their peer reviewed articles and follow their logic! Einstein Out!
    • Maybe1day
      Research. Try cesarean section delivery, for one. 
    • brookeb300
      ok what is accurate then?  
    • Herpadoodledoo
      Hey @Mogie89! How were you diagnosed? Via swab or by blood test?
  • Featured