Has Tea Tree Oil helped anyone with coldsores?

I read that it can help coldsores heal. I put pure tea tree oil on my lip and it seems to be helping it scab over, but it's still taking a while even with the valtrex my doc gave me. Anyone else use tree tree oil or another natural antiseptic?

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Kinda!

I knocked an oral, upper lip outbreak this weekend down to under 3 days of visibility...from "crap, a bump" to "can't see anything." Regular double doses of aspirin to minimize swelling (Don't overlook; it helps noticeably. Make sure it's the no caffeine formula.), 3grams oral lysine per day, and lysine topical coldsore cream alternating with tea tree oil until the spreading stops, then tea tree oil only...pull it into an eyedropper and drip a drop or two on, dab off excess. Once it's healing, soak it in the shower, follow up with hydrogen peroxide, and rub off the white dead skin with a towel. Minimal scarring - if you start the lysine quick enough, it may abort prior to appreciable blistering. Oh, and sleep like crazy. You heal faster. Fast a little when it's on the upswing to minimize viral transmission, eat everything in sight once you're healing.

3 days start to finish'; if I'd started the lysine the night before, betcha I could have done faster than that. It's not a cure, but it's as fast of a fix as I've managed so far. Maybe this routine will help someone else.

I got this plague when I was 10, compliments of makeup shared in a school play of all the idiot, unfair things, and have confirmed giving it to at least 2 girlfriends accidentally when I thought I was asymptomatic & noncontagious. It fills me with hate, and if this latest lucky dame doesn't work out...and I'm gonna try like hell, because I broke it, I'm gonna buy it... I'm done. I'll content myself with pr0n.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tea Tree Oil...Try It today

I never would have beleived it.

I have tried everything from home remedies to expensive topical treatments. Every outbreak Ive had has lasted at least two weeks. Not true this time.

I have a very important public engagement this coming weekend and I was mortified on Sunday morning to find that familiar tickle. The cold sore had reared its ugly head.

I reached for the Aleev because while nothing has ever worked, at least with the Aleev it might be something less than two weeks but my public enagagement would still be an emabarrassing experience. My girlfriend began what I considered a futile attempt to find a better remedy. When she found Tea Tree Oil, I thought I would amuse her, the depression and anguish set in. I tried the first application of 100% strength Australian Tea Tree oil and at least I had made my girlfriend happy by trying. I was astonished, almost immediately, I notived a difference. The blisters began to dry within an hour. In fact the blisters never actualy fully developed and just one day after break out, it was laready beginning to scab. I have never had an experience like this in all of my years of breakouts. It's now Tuesday, just two days since inflammation and the scab is nearly gone and redness subsiding. I just can't beleive all of the money I have spent and anguish I have experienced. Tea Tree Oil full strength works. I can't wait for my event this weekend. From first breakout to completely gone in less than five days !!! Try it

Oh and also, I applied every two hours or so...it was worth my time

Mike Pacheco

Weare, NH

• 1 year later...

yes!

After dealing with these monsters every few months or so (mouth cold sores) since I was 7, I finally tried tea tree oil last night. They were doing that constant weepy oozy thing that's gross and embarassing and uncomfortable, and I remember using tea tree oil to dry up pimples and an infected nose piercing in the past. So I swabbed a little on there, it smelled awful and made my mouth go numb, but now even the next day - no oozing! These sores just popped up 16 hours ago & are already seeming to heal over.

It should be noted that I also take Valtrex twice a day (during breakout only), as well as 3g Lysine daily (also during breakout only). Topically I try to stick with plain old chapstick just to keep them from drying out & cracking. I am also a big fan of 800mg motrin every 8 hrs around the clock, to keep swelling down..and ice if needed. And I am definitely a blister popper, I just can't stand them un-broken. Yuck.

• 7 years later...