But isn't there a Cure?

In the eight years that I've had herpes I've had only one outbreak.

I don't like a health nut. I pretty much eat what I want.

I'm not forever in the gym.

I don't really try to stay fit.

I don't take suppressant

I've got this positive attitude, though :)

I could say it is all due to science. I could say that perhaps I've got a damn good immune system or something along those lines.

I choose to believe there's something a little bigger at work. I've heard more than once 'God helps those who helps themselves'.

Well, I'm helping myself but I can't claim all the glory.

As far as I'm concerned, I've got my cure.

We definitely need people like you on here. It is good to hear that you have accepted herpes and you have such a good attitude about it and it really does give me hope that one day I will be okay with it. Thank you for sharing your positive outlook.

i'm a newbie and I personally like that people share updates and that you're content and accepting of this virus.. I love that you only had one OB and it gives me hope that mine wont be that bad...

I'm fine with having the virus I'm not scared to share with people or even to have "the talk" with people I trust or partners.. I especially need this site to share what I'm going thu and see if it's normal and if anyone else has experienced something like it..

I agree with you, Aris, that your positive attitude, your acceptance, and maybe even your faith, has a lot to do with your good fortune concerning your obs.

Attitude is everything. It's what changes a seemingly hopeless situation into an opportunity, or one of life's mishaps into a chance to enjoy the quirkiness of our existence. When you come right down to it, there's very little in life that we have much control over. We're just along for the ride, so we may as well roll down the window, let our hair get blown around, and enjoy the scenery!

Absolutely!

I posted on another thread the idea that we're healthy from this. Like you said: we've got our cure.

My body will never ever go through those primary outbreaks again. Been there; done that.

For most of us, our bodies are STRONGER now that we have this virus. We have built resistance to this virus. I wish more people had this attitude.

Thanks for posting!

Oh... and yeah, me too: I eat what I want, I'm not necessarily a health nut, have a good life, etc.,

Absolutely!

I posted on another thread the idea that we're healthy from this. Like you said: we've got our cure.

My body will never ever go through those primary outbreaks again. Been there; done that.

For most of us, our bodies are STRONGER now that we have this virus. We have built resistance to this virus. I wish more people had this attitude.

Thanks for posting!

Oh... and yeah, me too: I eat what I want, I'm not necessarily a health nut, have a good life, etc.,

i guess the people that this has killed thier bodies are stronger too huh? I wish more people would have empathy and compassion towards those who dont want to have herpes. there is something to be said for having faith that there will be and should be a cure.

Unlucky,

I'm very sorry if I offended you. I have empathy. Believe me. I'm not sure how long you've been dealing with this, but believe me when I say that I too went through my share of tears, painful outbreaks, recurrent outbreaks that wouldn't stop, and emotional roller coaster when I first was diagnosed. But that was 13 years ago and I count my blessings that my body has learned how to deal with this.

It takes time, but for most people (think about it, 90% of carriers are asymptomatic, and for the remaining, the symptoms can be very mild) the body DOES get stronger.

Look, we live with viruses all the time. By the time we are old, most of us have one or more of the herpes viruses and are not affected by it. Most people get colds or the flu and do not have morbid complications. Herpes is just like that.

Herpes doesn't kill your body. And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Oh, and think about this: a vaccine would mean that herpes-free people will be given a mild form of herpes that does not cause outbreaks, this in order to stimulate antibody production. Basically, we will all have herpes, some of us the real deal, others a domesticated version

Unlucky,

I'm very sorry if I offended you. I have empathy. Believe me. I'm not sure how long you've been dealing with this, but believe me when I say that I too went through my share of tears, painful outbreaks, recurrent outbreaks that wouldn't stop, and emotional roller coaster when I first was diagnosed. But that was 13 years ago and I count my blessings that my body has learned how to deal with this.

It takes time, but for most people (think about it, 90% of carriers are asymptomatic, and for the remaining, the symptoms can be very mild) the body DOES get stronger.

Look, we live with viruses all the time. By the time we are old, most of us have one or more of the herpes viruses and are not affected by it. Most people get colds or the flu and do not have morbid complications. Herpes is just like that.

Herpes doesn't kill your body. And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Oh, and think about this: a vaccine would mean that herpes-free people will be given a mild form of herpes that does not cause outbreaks, this in order to stimulate antibody production. Basically, we will all have herpes, some of us the real deal, others a domesticated version

actually as you get older the virus ravages more because you are immunocompromised. and it kills six babies a year in the uk.

Unlucky,

Herpes is like any other virus like the common cold or the flu. Most people are not affected by it; some will get complications. And while it is true that severe complications can happen to some people (exposure to the virus during the early stages of pregnancy or in a young baby), this is true of exposure to any virus during pregnancy or in a young baby. The flu kills a lot more people a year than herpes.

It's important to get perspective on herpes. It's no fun at first. But you have to believe that the outbreaks will pass and eventually become a minor nuisance - more of an emotional nuisance.

I can't really speak about herpes and the elderly. I know that Herpes zoster tends to be more of an issue with the elderly. (It is with my mother. She gets shingles from time to time.) Herpes zoster is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus, also a herpes virus. By the time we reach 70-80 years old, most of us have been exposed to 1 of the 6 herpes viruses.

Once I reach that age, there will be plenty of other ailments to keep me company.

both ways

I wish more people would have empathy and compassion towards those who dont want to have herpes. there is something to be said for having faith that there will be and should be a cure.

Why can't people who accept herpes still have faith for a cure? I'm sure everyone, whether they have accepted it or not, would be glad for:

1. a cure for both strains of hsv

2. the fact that humanity has learned how to cure a virus

It does feel kind of good, though, to feel comfortable in your own skin after years of hating it.

Have some compassion for those of us who've decided to do that :)

Thanks for that post Aris.

I am definitely hopeful for a medical breakthrough.

I definitely hope for a vaccine or a product that will suppress/contain it so thoroughly that the idea of shedding will be a thing of the past and with it, end the ridiculous stigma that causes so much emotional trauma. I have donated here and elsewhere.

Personally, I don't think a "cure" in the sense of something that eradicates herpes will ever be found. My understanding is that viruses aren't "alive": they can't be killed or wiped out since they are just set of instructions. But they can be managed, tinkered with, pre-empted (vaccines) and re-appropriated: a modified herpes virus is used in cancer treatments. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071016093219.htm

Wow. Now there's a concept. Herpes actually saves lives!

Herpes is as old as humanity, if not older, and unlike other viruses like the common cold, herpes has done very little mutating. There is a theory that initially, there was only 1 herpes virus, as there is in chimps. But in humans it split into two as our sexual practices changed.

Because of the parallel history between herpes and humanity, I like to think that we just haven't figured out yet how to use herpes to our advantage. We have all these lemons, but haven't figured out how to make lemonade quite yet. Think about it: wouldn't it be neat if we could figure out a way to vaccinate everyone at young age with a modified herpes virus, which would not only stimulate antibody production thus protecting from outbreaks, but also could be re-encoded to attack the common cold or the flu?

Call me an optimist if you like. But this is my way of accepting a virus that is all too common and unavoidable. It's here. After a while, most bodies figure out how to "cure" it, meaning how to "manage" it. Now, if only medicine could surpass that...

O.o

Because of the parallel history between herpes and humanity, I like to think that we just haven't figured out yet how to use herpes to our advantage. We have all these lemons, but haven't figured out how to make lemonade quite yet. Think about it: wouldn't it be neat if we could figure out a way to vaccinate everyone at young age with a modified herpes virus, which would not only stimulate antibody production thus protecting from outbreaks, but also could be re-encoded to attack the common cold or the flu?

Now THAT, is crazy wonderful idea! I never thought of it that way. And to think, just last semester I learned in a biology class that many diseases were instigated in the body to help that individual survive thousands of years ago. I learned how having diabetes eons ago helped save your life.

Crazy, huh?!

And herpes is related to so many other infections like mono and the chicken pox. Through my research, I've found that there are 8 types of viruses in the herpes family. Maybe even more...what's the connection if there is one...

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=1364&channel_id=1020&relation_id=8287

http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/virol/herpes.htm

If you do a search on here for "plague," you'll see a post I put up about 6 or 7 months ago. I think you'll find it very interesting.

There was some research that came out a few years ago that showed that herpes gave protection against the plague. Now... doubt we're going to get the bubonic plague soon, but it does make you wonder. Why the hell does this virus exist? I like to think that on a grand cosmological scheme of things, there's a purpose.

There was also a fascinating documentary I watched on PBS that looked at viruses much in the same way you mention and that we haven't even begun to tap into how these viruses can change/evolve us.

Found that old post on herpes/plague:

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?t=15527

Unlucky,

Herpes is like any other virus like the common cold or the flu. Most people are not affected by it; some will get complications. And while it is true that severe complications can happen to some people (exposure to the virus during the early stages of pregnancy or in a young baby), this is true of exposure to any virus during pregnancy or in a young baby. The flu kills a lot more people a year than herpes.

It's important to get perspective on herpes. It's no fun at first. But you have to believe that the outbreaks will pass and eventually become a minor nuisance - more of an emotional nuisance.

I can't really speak about herpes and the elderly. I know that Herpes zoster tends to be more of an issue with the elderly. (It is with my mother. She gets shingles from time to time.) Herpes zoster is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus, also a herpes virus. By the time we reach 70-80 years old, most of us have been exposed to 1 of the 6 herpes viruses.

Once I reach that age, there will be plenty of other ailments to keep me company

a minor nuisance and being a contagious threat to other people (partners) is a minor nuisance as well right?

It depends on who you're involved with. If it's someone who understands that they are most likely to experience this virus as a minor nuisance, then yes, that's what it is. Even the possibility of passing it becomes a minor nuisance.

While a number of us have great empathy for those who have severe outbreaks, what we have trouble with are those who are sure this virus is the end of their romantic life. I believe if i had HIV, i'd confine myself to dating only HIV+ people (or try to). But with HSV, which 90% of the population have in oral form, i can't see living my life under a rock. That's just not really LIVING.

Searchingforacure
It depends on who you're involved with. If it's someone who understands that they are most likely to experience this virus as a minor nuisance, then yes, that's what it is. Even the possibility of passing it becomes a minor nuisance.

While a number of us have great empathy for those who have severe outbreaks, what we have trouble with are those who are sure this virus is the end of their romantic life. I believe if i had HIV, i'd confine myself to dating only HIV+ people (or try to). But with HSV, which 90% of the population have in oral form, i can't see living my life under a rock. That's just not really LIVING.

However, some people are not going to want to be romantically involved with you because you have genital herpes. Much of the population does not even know they have oral herpes. Once you tell someone you have genital herpes you have realize that it may be a deal breaker.

However, some people are not going to want to be romantically involved with you because you have genital herpes. Much of the population does not even know they have oral herpes. Once you tell someone you have genital herpes you have realize that it may be a deal breaker.

+ 1 it always is

+ 1 it always is

If you mean it's always a deal breaker, you couldn't be more wrong. We've done polls on this site about rejection and acceptance. Rejection tends to follow a PERSON, while acceptance follows different people. The majority of people find they get WAAY more of one or the other, and it usually depends on their attitude toward the virus itself.

I'm living proof there ARE people who will not only take the chance, but couldn't care less what i've got!!

I'm living proof there ARE people who will not only take the chance, but couldn't care less what i've got!!

Congrats on being able to have a life that pleases you. You're right, rejection tends to follow certain people rather than everyone who ever caught herpes. Else the human population would be bordering extinction lol

If you mean it's always a deal breaker, you couldn't be more wrong. We've done polls on this site about rejection and acceptance. Rejection tends to follow a PERSON, while acceptance follows different people. The majority of people find they get WAAY more of one or the other, and it usually depends on their attitude toward the virus itself.

In my community it IS AND ALWAYS IS A DEAL BREAKER despite the few experiences that have been expressed on this forum.

In my community it IS AND ALWAYS IS A DEAL BREAKER despite the few experiences that have been expressed on this forum.

Knowing a bit more about your situation I have to agree its going to be a lot harder for you than probably 3/4 of everyone else on this site to find acceptance. Maybe you can find a better support network for those in your particular situation. I don't think its easy for a lot of people here to put themselves in your shoes because the pressure from their community/social network is not the same.

http://www.geocities.com/mwh_help/index.html

try that site for starters there may be others

good luck and all the best.

Knowing a bit more about your situation I have to agree its going to be a lot harder for you than probably 3/4 of everyone else on this site to find acceptance. Maybe you can find a better support network for those in your particular situation. I don't think its easy for a lot of people here to put themselves in your shoes because the pressure from their community/social network is not the same.

I disagree with the post ntdc. I truly believe that there are many herpes positive people who are feel the same as unlucky30. And they have probably given up on this forum. If your statistic is true, then tell me why do people hide? Why don't people want to participate in an HSV walk? Why do people fear that donating would disclose their identity? Why are people afraid?

I think you are wrong. And you should not be quick to dismiss someone from the forum just because he/she is sharing his/her true feelings.

You are wrong on this one dear. Very wrong.

no its not and there are others like me on this forum.

I disagree with the post ntdc. I truly believe that there are many herpes positive people who are feel the same as unlucky30. And they have probably given up on this forum. If your statistic is true, then tell me why do people hide? Why don't people want to participate in an HSV walk? Why do people fear that donating would disclose their identity? Why are people afraid?

I think you are wrong. And you should not be quick to dismiss someone from the forum just because he/she is sharing his/her true feelings.

You are wrong on this one dear. Very wrong.

You think many people are worried of being physically harmed if they would disclose their HSV+ status to their family?