Herpes in Sobriety

Limeinthecoconut

Limeinthecoconut

Hey Folks - i figured this would probably be the most appropriate place to put this. Because any 12 step program is a Spiritual Program. I am curious if anyone has any experience, strength and hope to offer maybe with contracting HSV in sobriety? I have contacted my Sponsor and well I have to re-work some steps 1,2, and 3 to be exact because I am angry and resentful and I do NOT want to drink about this!! I have almost 18 months and throwing it away is not an option but "anger is a dubious luxury of normal men." Anyway - the last thing I need to do is be angry with my Higher Power but old behavior is hard to deal with - I feel like my character defects and my disease are looking me in the face ready for me to take that first drink. I got this from a person in the program who is a great person, working on himself and striving to believe in God and a better life...anyway its hard to not lash out - I don't know if anyone knows where I am coming from....just throwin it out there..progress not perfection...much luv....Limeinthecoconut

p.s. i apologize for any shitty spelling...i need a spell checker....lol.

Hey, i don't know much about the 12 steps programs, but i wanted to commend you for your strength. I know it takes an INCREDIBLE amount of strength to break an addiction, and even more strength to see your stressors and take action to avoid them.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for either here or in your own support groups.

Hi there,

I'm curious if this person disclosed their condition to you before you were intimate?

It seems that would make a difference in the feelings you are dealing with, such as betrayal, etc.

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders! Keep on keepin' on ;)

Limeinthecoconut

He didn't know....We waited a month to get intimate..so that we could do what's right and try to get to know each other first. I mean I had a part in this too. When you first get sober it is suggested to stay out of a relationship for a year. Its complicated to explain...I had been checked for everything including HSV I asked specifically for this in October of 2008 (my HSV Blood test came back -) because of my reckless behavior before and just after I got sober....and well he got tested the day after we did "it".....I brokeout 5 days later and his blood came back positive. When I went to the doctor...she suggested just doing a culture on the blister because My blood exam had come back negative back in October. Anyway He says he didn't have sex with anyone for a year. About a week after I went to the Doctor His test results came back Positive for HSV2...My Doctor seems to think the timelines are right and I did get it from him. (But I could have had it before - who really even knows, right?) Anyway He feels terrible about this and he says he knows where His came from. (Hence - the trust issues I am having) Sounds crazy and compicated but I guess the deal is that it has happened and now we both have to learn how to deal with this. I have no control over the way he chooses to heal, emotionally, physically and spiritually all I can do is what I can do for me and my healing. Anyway - this place has been scary and helpful and all kinds of stuff. I will come out the other end I know it... It can't be as difficult as getting sober can. Although a cold beer on a hot day sometimes sounds great...lol. Anyway - Thank you for the support Peeps....xo Limey.

P.S. I am taking a time out to heal myself...as the only way we can love others is if we love ourselves FIRST!!!

Awesome, I'm glad you two are open and honest with each other, that helps a lot! I'm familiar with the program, some of my close friends are clean and sober. It's a wonderful program!

Take care!

Limeinthecoconut

Rad - thank you so much for this suggested read GntiNh!!! Thank you!!

There is alot related to the 12 Steps...I loved this..I think I am going to read it!!! Supa Cool!!! Even tho there are references to Jesus here - there is direction for great spiritual growth and just knowing this Man's particular journey is particularly awesome!! Thanks again!!

Friend of Bill W!

Hi there! I am a member of AA and found out about my HSV status at 4yrs sober (I'd slept with two guys post sobriety date and don't believe either have it - so I believe I had the virus for a long time before the thing "showed up in my life")

Although I'm very sorry to hear you have herpes, I am glad to meet you here because the program is such a blessing and a huge part of my life and having herpes has certainly been a pretty big impact on my life... so TTYS!

Much love,

meme:D