Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ntdc

aspirin for suppression?

11 posts in this topic

Anyone tried aspirin daily for suppression of HSV (either with or without other medications), if so how much

did you try , was it effective?

I take 81mg daily as prescribed by a cardiologist but haven't heard of it as a suppressive medication. I also take acyclovir daily so I wouldn't know if it helps. I'm sure 81mg is too small to really do much good for something like that. I am interested to hear any other experiences or see some research on it!

asprin cant be used as suppressive medication for herpes, and it does nothing for decreasing chances of transmission of the virus to others, vlatrex or acylivor are the best options for suppression

Actually it's not true, its being studied currently in combination with valtrex to determine if it reduces viral shedding, after success in animal trials. http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct2/show/NCT00587496

It was first reported by some doctors in 1998 http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/8/696-b http://www.herpes.org.uk/aspirin.pdf

Acyclovir does not work well for me as I've posted some times on here. So I am checking into alternate therapies.

I would not recommend forgoing antiviral therapy for aspirin if it is working for someone, obviously.

Spirulina ( green algae) - supposed anti-hsv acitivity and immune stimulating activity. Didn't continue long enough to see if it was working gave me bad stomach upset , may interact with anti-viral meds.

Garlic - no noticeable improvement. Smelled like garlic constantly.

Vitamin C Supplementation - 2,000mg a day no noticeable effect, improved energy level

Zinc supplementation - No noticeable improvement

Lysine - caused bloating , gas , stomach aches, no noticeable improvement but i didnt take it more than 2wks at the most.

Iron supplementation - Probably did not take enough to make a difference but changed to a multivitamin with iron, heard it can be dangerous to supplement with iron for no reason so I did not take any additional supp. No noticeable improvement

I also considered trying Tagamet (cimetadine, a heartburn drug) but I was concerned it can interact with the antiviral drugs. I have read several people claim it stops working after 1 month anyway.

Garlic - no noticeable improvement. Smelled like garlic constantly. In the UK you can get "none smelling" garlic tablets, Holland and Barrett - I'll have a look if they are international

Vitamin C Supplementation - 2,000mg a day no noticeable effect, improved energy level

Zinc supplementation - No noticeable improvement

Lysine - caused bloating , gas , stomach aches, no noticeable improvement but i didnt take it more than 2wks at the most. What did you take? The coating on some tablet, and the "bulk" used can cause stomach problems, did you try different brands?

hbcustsrv@hollandandbarrett.com email address for holland and barrett, they do internet sales, and they sell Odourless Garlic capsules. They may be health food shops near you that sell them.

Iron supplementation - Probably did not take enough to make a difference but changed to a multivitamin with iron, heard it can be dangerous to supplement with iron for no reason so I did not take any additional supp. No noticeable improvement

I also considered trying Tagamet (cimetadine, a heartburn drug) but I was concerned it can interact with the antiviral drugs. I have read several people claim it stops working after 1 month anyway.

Have you considered homopathic treatments?

1. The brand I used was an 'odorless' brand, i cant imagine how bad a regular brand would smell. My breath REEKED of garlic pretty much constantly.

2. Lysine brand is "Nature's Bounty" , other ingredients are cellulose, croscarmellose, cellulose coating, silica, titanium, dioxide color, vegetable magnesium stearate. Didn't think it would make much of a difference from brand to brand. the pharmacy sells this and generic both seems to contain the same thing AFAIK.

3. No. I believe everyone should be entitled to pursue whichever treatment they believe works for them. For me I do not believe there is any credible evidence of the efficacy of homeopathy beyond that of placebo and the principles and practices contradict basic principles of medicine and biology.

Oh I've also been using a device from germany called a "herpotherm" I haven't been using it long enough to make a judgement, yet.

The prescriptions did not seem to work on me either. The doctor tried both Valtrex 500, Valtrex 1 G and Famvir. My body seemed to get used to Valtrex over the years so now I do not take them daily - only when I need them.

Also did not get any obvious results from all the vitamins.

I've had the best luck with being Alkaline (lemon water) and daily TOPICAL Zinc. For your eye - maybe zinc eye drops.

Tegament is used as a "bump upper" for any 'script. Drug addicts figured out that their high would last longer if they shut off acid production in the stomach. The interaction is right on the label. I've used the combo only when I REALLY need it not day to day along with my Valtrex.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• staypositiv3
      No disrespect to doctors here but not all doctors are good doctors.  I was not happy with my former gynecologist so I looked for a new one-- I had too many questions/concerns about herpes and she didn't seem knowledgeable.  You can certainly do that and you don't have to question/argue with them either.  I was told the same thing by my (former) gyn -- 6 OBs (actual blisters) before she gives me suppression meds.  Eventually she gave in because I complained too much about frequent prodrome.    
    • Free73
      You don't need to argue with your doctor, but perhaps worry about if and when you meet someone and it becomes sexual. At that point you can approach your doctor again and politely request that you have spoken to your new partner and you both agreed that for the relationship to go further and for mutual peace of mind, your partner requires you to take a daily suppressant. I would think at that point that your doctor won't deny you. If he does, then seek out another doctor
    • WilsoInAus
      Overall I would agree that there is no reason you cannot take a daily dose if you so choose. Your doctor is fairly presenting an opinion but it stops at that. His opinion is fair, after all, mankind existed for thousands of years with herpes and no antivirals extremely successfully. I take it you had a blood test? Which test and what were the results?
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Honeybee_ good talking in chat and a great first post. Can I just check, how did the diagnosis come about, was it a blood test for a swab test? I am sorry about your partner. It does seem though that things have crystallised for him. If it wasn't meant to be then in time you will come to acceptance of this and realise it is hence for hte best.
    • purpleherple
      I was just diagnosed with HSV2 just over two months ago and I am still struggling with this and trying to make the best of it. I've read the Good News About the Bad News and I have been reading numerous articles and forum posts on the subject. I feel that I have started to get a grasp on the situation and what I may be in store for. I'm not completely over feeling the negative aspects of this but I don't feel like I'm in a pit of despair anymore and want to begin to feel better.

I have been single for almost a year and I feel prepared to possibly give dating a shot again. In preparation for this and knowing often the asymptomatic shedding occurs, I made an appointment with my doctor to get a prescription for an anti-viral.

I was a bit surprised to have my doctor tell me that he was basically just going to prescribe the medication for outbreak management. I have only had two outbreaks in the last three years (from what I know now I was misdiagnosed years ago when I had an initial outbreak and by a dermatologist of all people!) and he used having 6 outbreaks a year as a baseline of whether or not I would need daily suppressive therapy. I pressed him on this further with my concern of transmission to another person as my outbreaks are few and far between and are very mild (at least I can be thankful for that). I was told that as long as I'm using condoms and abstaining when I have outbreaks that I wont transmit it.

I didn't feel like arguing with him and I sort of don't feel like I should argue with an experienced medical professional, but I thought this was how the medical community used to handle this (maybe around the 80's and 90's) until they better understood how often shedding occurred. From just about everything I've read that just doesn't seem true and condoms only protect the area they cover leaving everything else vulnerable to transmission. I know even with condoms and medication it is still possible, but the risk is greatly reduced. Does the advice I was given seem out of touch?

The only other conclusion I can try to grasp is that because I have such infrequent outbreaks I don't shed as much or there is less of a risk? I have yet to read anything that would back that up.

If it does seem off I don't feel like I can tell my doctor to prescribe me more for daily suppressant or that I disagree with his medical advice. Do I go to different doctor and try to explain this or a family planning center? It's such a pain to establish with another doctor and I feel like a dick telling him I think he's not giving me the best info.

I was really hoping to feel less burdened by this disease today, but this took the wind out of my sails. I just don't feel that I would be giving a potential future partner the best scenario to prevent infection and makes me feel less confident in putting myself back out there.

Do you think going to a family planning center would be better or they would understand where I'm coming from and suggest daily therapy? It seems like they deal with sti's more directly and could be more knowledgeable.
    • Honeybee_
      Today I was diagnosed with HSV-1.  About a week ago I was with my partner, well ex partern now. And he gave me oral sex, after I noticed he had a cold sore that looked like it was healing so I didn't question it. Well Thursday I had and gyn app and thought if it was anything the Pap smear would pick it up or even the doctor would. Well when I got home I googled herpes, I know the worst thing ever to do it Google. Well it told me a Pap smear could not test for it that I had to get a swab, that Friday I started to noticed a ulcer like sore and immediately got freaked out. Monday morning I went to the doctor, explained to him and at first we thought I had cut myself with a razor or something because it was on my labia. Of course we were both wrong because I do have it. Tonight I told my ex partner that I was diagnosed with it he simply didn't care and then about 15 minutes later he tells me he couldn't do it anymore and that he was in love with another girl..... How am I supposed to cope with this? I know living with it isn't the end of the world but why does it feel like it? 
    • WilsoInAus
      This confirms that you have HSV-1, it will not be wrong. The only question is location. Unless you have a swab from your genital area, then this is almost certainly an oral infection. The number is not high, it is perfectly normal. It shows that your blood at the time of sample had a healthy level of antibodies. All this suggests you have had oral HSV-1 since before living memory. 70% of the population have oral HSV-1. As you've never had a known outbreak, chances are you will have a very low outbreak frequency in the future. This is all nothing to be concerned about at all. It is just a virus that has clearly not caused a single issue for you and this is likely to continue.
    • Lisajd
      So you are worried about disclosing and the whole town find out about your herpes but what about the fact that you are seeing a married man and what that might look like if that gets out regardless of his relationship is open.   No judgement here but why would you actually be involved in someone like that
    • Free73
      More life advice from me. Cease all contact with this guy and get on with your life. You don't need to tell him anything. He is self esteem comes from fucking as many women as he can while being in a sham marriage. This is why I always say that herpes is an opportunity for self growth, if you allow it to be. Never ever accept crumbs from anyone, because when you do, you are basically devaluing yourself and yo are opening yourself up to messy and hurtful situations. I have been there and done it all........swinging, open situations etc. It's all a load of dogsh*t. You can have a thrilling sex life without getting involved with douchebags who are attached.    
    • evonna
      Received a HSV 1 diagnoses of 46.60 and 0.91 for HSV 2. The test was HSV 1 and 2- Specific AB, IGG. I wanted to know if it's possible for this test to be wrong. Also, if the test isn't wrong. Why is the HSV 1 so high. Does this mean I'm going to get an outbreak soon? I've never had an outbreak before.  Any response will be greatly appreciated. I"m really freaking out.  Thanks.
  • Featured