World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
aliveandok

HSV versus HPV

aliveandok

Stigma. That's what makes genital herpes so bad. Sure the first year of outbreaks suck but no more or less than the flu the few times I've gotten that. Now my outbreaks are more of an annoyance. It's the hell of having to inform or fear of transmitting to HSV negative sex partners - uhug.

I got HPV on my cervix when I was 23. I tested positive with a PAP. They retested me. Then they scheduled me for a LEEP (they burn the affected area out). I was a little worried but it was super easy. Light spotting and I've been healthy since. Never another positive Pap and I got the Gardasil shots to keep it that way.

HPV - a sexually transmitted virus. Same as HSV - so why was I so ashamed all these years of one but not at all about the other. Maybe when medical science has some help for us besides the drugs then it will be just another medical condition and not everyone's deep dark secret.

ntdc

well most people clear HPV after a few months ...nobody can clear herpes infection.

unlucky30

That's riiight

QUOTE=ntdc;105521]well most people clear HPV after a few months ...nobody can clear herpes infection.

chooseyourbattles

I started a thread like this myself.

I have genital warts, too. I had one outbreak that needed Condylox, and another big wart that fell off after a year. I had thought it was a mole.

I've transmitted the warts twice, too. I think HPV is worse than herpes. But society doesn't see that.

Guest Seatortuga

OMG chooseyourbattles I laughed when I read your post! Now I'm wondering about this mole on my thigh..it might be an impostor!!!!

Only this one sprang up when I was twelve...long before I was even close to being sexually active. I did not know warts fell off...like apples off a tree....watch out for falling warts y'all. LOL

foxyloxy25

I know, the hpv-hsv thing always gets me too.

Some of the invisible strains of hpv can be deadly.

The visible are benign but unpleasant to have treated and can recur for years not everyone clears them.

Hpv can also be transmitted by carriers without symptoms.

Herpes does stay with you 'for life' but most people have few outbreaks once they have had it a while, and 80% have it so mildly they don't even know they have it!

My personal feeling is that I would rather have had herpes than visible warts - apart from the stigma.

It is funny. I knew girls who had had warts before I got herpes. I never thought anything of it. A boyfriend told me he'd been treated for warts two years previously - I didn't bat an eyelid. And yet when my sister caught herpes (before me) I thought it was a terrible, nasty thing, a 'dirty' disease and that no man would want her again.

Where did these ideas come from? I didn't know what herpes actually was, I wasn't educated about hpv and hsv, so what is that all about? Where did I get this stigmatized perception of hsv from? Friends? The media (plenty of negative stereotypes and perceptions there)? Sex education? I never recall many actual conversations about herpes, but it must have been there somewhere, dripping into my brain...

It is all about the silent social stigma, when people don't know the realities of the infections but society conditions people to see herpes as 'incurable' 'dirty' and 'nasty'. Cold sores are incurable and herpes, but I never noticed this same stigma about them!

It is hard to understand.

Maybe this article has a lot to answer for?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1715020,00.html

Who knows. You would never think from people's perceptions that herpes is actually the most harmless of all the stds except for the visible waart causing strains of hpv. Apparently in surveys people have ranked it next ot HIV in their perceptions of its seriousness and stigma.

Blueskies

You know I never understood it either. Cold sores are just that cold sores but you say the word herpes and everyone cringes and runs which before I have to admit I did the same thing but why? Cold sores in my opinion and medical fact are worse then genital. They cause ocular herpes which can lead to blindness and encephalitis which can lead to death. If you kiss a new born well we all know where that leads. Then HPV can cause cancer which leads to death? What? You get all STDs the same way right? Okay just venting!