World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
rockgirl

I have a "what if" question

rockgirl

What if you thought you may have accident exposed your mouth to HSV2, how long would it stay on your lips or surrounding mouth area if it didn't make it's way in? And for that matter, if you were to lick your lips, would it get in your mouth and live in there since its a warm, wet enviroment in your mouth? I don't think I did, but I'm just curious if I did if I could be affected by it. I have a young baby and I'm scared of kissing him now :(:confused:

HSVcurious

Well let me see if I can be of any help, this question is very theoretical and most likely nobody has a clear answer. If it is sitting on the lips, then the virus should die fairly quickly when exposed to air. I think it takes some time to cause an infection to a cell. The temperature on the lips could be cooler compared to what the virus is used to since you will have wind constantly blowing on the lips, the temperature difference can also cause the virus to inactivate. A dried up virus is as good as dead as it wont be able to cause infection.Lack of moisture is another reason.

Now lets say that you somehow licked the virus into your mouth. I have read of a study that saliva actually inhibits HSV, so there is a compound called lactoferrin which will inactivate the virus. Besides this compound there could be other enzymes in the saliva which can dissolve the protein coating of the HSV virus, but I havent come across any studies only to use my logic.

I have asked around about the role of saliva in inhibiting the virus, but it seems to be not well known. Many people are not awareabout it.

Lets say the virus manages to beat all the external conditions and has entered your skin, before the virus can infect a cell, which means make copies of itself, there is a chance the antibodies in yourbody would have killed the virus already. I think the immune system has trouble killing the viruses in the sacral ganglions but can easily kill of the cell if its in the skin surface.

So the chances are quite slim, but then again just be careful and dont kiss people, the less you kiss the less the chances.

n2beme4

I was primarily diagnosed with gh. Then, it transferred to the inside of my mouth. I have had tingling sensations on my lips but never an actual cold sore. However, I have had lessions inside my mouth.

Anytime I feel a tingling sensation on my mouth, I avoid kissing. When I have a sore inside my mouth, I wash my mouth area after I brush my teeth just to keep the area as virus-free as possible. So far, this has been effective in my case. I hope this helps.

ntdc
I was primarily diagnosed with gh. Then, it transferred to the inside of my mouth. I have had tingling sensations on my lips but never an actual cold sore. However, I have had lessions inside my mouth.

Anytime I feel a tingling sensation on my mouth, I avoid kissing. When I have a sore inside my mouth, I wash my mouth area after I brush my teeth just to keep the area as virus-free as possible. So far, this has been effective in my case. I hope this helps.

Are you sure you have OHSV-2 have you been tested (swabbed) on

these lesions? Its possibly you have OHSV-1 or bacterial type infection.