World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MCfan1

Faith helping a non-religious person

MCfan1

Recently I have been having troubles coping with my diagnosis. I was diagnosed last week and have been experiencing a variety of emotions i.e. Fear, confusion, self loathing, and bits of depression. After joining the forums here and talking to some close people I started to feel better but still found myself feeling down. Now I will admit that I am not a religious person but I do have a religious background having gone to a catholic elementary school for 5 years. Recently I tried doing something I haven't done in a long time...praying. It made me feel better. I found myself finding a reason as to why this was happening, thought maybe this was a sign to change my ways. Now I don't view this a cop out for my actions because I'm a person that takes full responsibilities for their actions. But it just feels good knowing that there might be a reason for this. Has anyone else felt like this?

MsLucy

I'm not a religious person, either, at least not in the conventional sense. I do believe there are things we don't understand, though... forces at work greater than ourselves that can wield positive influence. And no, I'm not above asking for a helping hand when necessary. Praying if you will. As human beings, our power is limited, and when you've done all you can but it's not enough, sometimes a little intervention is called for. I always feel more peaceful afterward. I still may not understand the reasons behind the situation, but I'm more able to accept the outcome. So, yes, I understand what you're saying.

innerstrength

I'm on the same boat as you are, even with the Catholic school upbringing in elementary. I haven't practiced Catholicism and have not set foot in a church for almost 8 years... until a month ago. Luckily, I found a church that is a non-denominational, purely faith-based Christian church. When I'm in there, I feel a sense of comfort and peace. I can sit there alone, pray and just reflect on my current situation. It's kind of been a therapeutic thing for me to do the last few Sundays I've attended. And every time I've been, I've sat there in tears listening to the message and hopefully try to make sense of it and apply it to my own life. I'm doing what I can to make myself feel better and to not drive myself crazy with all these thoughts in my head... and somehow, praying or having conversations with myself and whoever is out there, has helped ease my thoughts. So if this is working for you, then keep doing it.

redyellowpurpleblue

I'm not a religious person, either, at least not in the conventional sense. I do believe there are things we don't understand, though... forces at work greater than ourselves that can wield positive influence. And no, I'm not above asking for a helping hand when necessary. Praying if you will. As human beings, our power is limited, and when you've done all you can but it's not enough, sometimes a little intervention is called for. I always feel more peaceful afterward. I still may not understand the reasons behind the situation, but I'm more able to accept the outcome. So, yes, I understand what you're saying.

god doesn't help when it is needed. you can be starving to death and pray and he will not help. he will let you starve. maybe there is no god

GntiNh
It made me feel better. I found myself finding a reason as to why this was happening, thought maybe this was a sign to change my ways. Now I don't view this a cop out for my actions because I'm a person that takes full responsibilities for their actions. But it just feels good knowing that there might be a reason for this. Has anyone else felt like this?

I was brought up in a Quaker household, but for the past 25+ years I have only attended for weddings, Christmas or fund raising functions, etc.

A few weeks after contracting herpes I went by accident inside a church, because of it's history, not beause of faith. The mass was just starting so we stayed.

I had never been to a Catholic mass before and I didn't understand what was going on, but I felt the most amazing feeling. A inner warm throughout my body. I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest with love. It was a wonderful emotional experience.

Because of that I have been going to mass since, and although I have not had the same strong feeling, I have found a peace there.

When I explained to the Father why I had started attending he said it was the Holy Spirit that had lead me there.

I don't know what it was, but if I hadn't have got herpes then I would not have been in that Church.

Life is strange at times, sometimes we can't answer why something has happened, but I'm glad it did.

I have recognised a inner strength in myself since and actually love myself more (not in a selfish way) than I have ever done before.

If it works for you, why question it. We all need suppport sometimes in our lives, that is not a weakness. If you had broken a bone, you would put a cast on it.

Still Happy

If it works for you, why question it. We all need suppport sometimes in our lives, that is not a weakness. If you had broken a bone, you would put a cast on it.

Well said my friend, there is so much truth in this thought.