World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
laura124

What really triggers OB's???

laura124

Hello, Im new to this forum. My husband gave me herpes when we were dating about 20 years ago. He doesn't really get OB's so he said he didn't know....that's questionable.

Anyway, he has had outbreaks but in the 20 years we have been together maybe 5 at the most. However, I'm plagued with intermittent OB's --even during my pregnancy (almost had to have a c-section).

My question is: Are OB's directly related to the immune system or perhaps hormones? Not as many men have frequent OB's as women and the women all have outbreaks that seem to directly correlate with their monthly cycles (myself included, by all means). I feel like I have a good immune system--I don't get sick very often and with 2 kids I'm exposed to everything. So, I won't get sick but I'll get an outbreak...???

Also, do you think OB's have something to do with anxiety? I have anxiety and mild depression and a basic dissatisfaction with my life in general I don't take antidepressants but I regularly exercise, take all the supplements I need, eat organic, etc. Do others suffer with anxiety/depression and frequent OB's? Is there a connection between the two?

ntdc

Scientists find fever is the most reliable way to trigger herpes OBs in lab animals. UV light it pretty widely believed to trigger it as well, beyond that who knows.

There are many conflicting theories of why some people get many outbreaks and some get few/none.

One recent theory is that it is just random chance, a certain protein the virus needs to cause outbreaks (VP16) simply does not get transported to the nerve cell during infection in some people causing them to be asymptomatic.

Other research points to the immune system's CD8 cells (T-Cells) as playing a key role in preventing outbreaks, so naturally a drop in CD8 production or a poor level of CD8s would cause outbreaks. Even if one did not have HIV or a PID one could have a temporary drop or naturally low-normal production of T-cells.

Another study has shown that people may have a genetic predisposition to getting outbreaks. This may or may not be related to optimal immune function. The researchers have identified several genes which they think may be involved but further study is needed to determine what if any role these play.

Outbreaks could be caused by any of these, all, or none. Really at this point its just not well understood. Unfortunately neither is depression, so you probably shouldn't expect a satisfactory answer.