Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HSVcurious

How long does it take the virus to infect cells

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is a theoretical question, but worth a discussion. Lets say someone kisses a person with a cold sore and has virus particles transfered to the other person on the lips. How long does it take the virus to work its way into the cells and start to make copies of itself. I dont think its instantaneous, the virus probably takes sometime before it enters the cell.

Also I am assuming the first copies the virus makes is probably on the outer skin layers, once an infection has been made and the immune system left offguard, some of the copied virus probably make their way to the sacral ganglion. So the whole process of viral entry and making copies should be in the span of 1 week I guess.

Anyone who can shed some light?

Hi,

This is a theoretical question, but worth a discussion. Lets say someone kisses a person with a cold sore and has virus particles transfered to the other person on the lips. How long does it take the virus to work its way into the cells and start to make copies of itself. I dont think its instantaneous, the virus probably takes sometime before it enters the cell.

Fusion with the susceptible epithelial cells would be immediately on contact with the susceptible cells. The viral DNA enters the cell and replication begins. I do not know the specific timing of this but I believe it is rather fast. Viruses reproduces thousands of times faster than normal human cells. It may take time for sufficient numbers of cells to become infected to cause noticeable symptoms, though.

Also I am assuming the first copies the virus makes is probably on the outer skin layers, once an infection has been made and the immune system left offguard, some of the copied virus probably make their way to the sacral ganglion. So the whole process of viral entry and making copies should be in the span of 1 week I guess.

Anyone who can shed some light?

You are partially right here. The virus begins replicating rather fast as I stated earlier. The latent infection is thought to be established about 1 week after the initial outbreak subsides. This is why it is believed that treating the initial outbreak with anti-viral medication can lead to less severe/less frequent future outbreaks.

If the HSV virus (either strain) is causing cold sores it does not reside in the sacral ganglion (base of spine) it would reside in the trigeminal ganglion which is near the ear.

These animations will show you the process of fusion/cell entry, replication, establishment of latency and re-activation

http://www.dbc.uci.edu/~faculty/wagner/movieindex.html

Okay that was very clear, how long does it take the virus to infect the first cells once it has entered a cut, is it about an hour when it manages to get inside the cell? I am guessing these must be the cells at the mucous membranes

Not sure what you are trying to determine. Virons dont survive long on the surface of a skin, once a viron contacts a susceptible cell fusion is immediate. The cell would be infected at that point.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• LillianPanos
      TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM. JUST SAYING    
    • 61James
      It is no longer news that the Acquired immune deficiency syndrome Herpes Virus  is increasing by the day. The fear is that many people living with the sickness are scared of saying it because of the stigma that comes along with it.I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the voodoo world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Voodoo Priests had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Balogun(A powerful African Voodoo Priest), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions.
      Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that " I am NEGATIVE".
      You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Voodoo Priest via this e-mail: drbalogunspellhome567@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him  He will help you and his herb medication is sure.
      he has the cure on all this disease as he told me and it listed.
      GENITAL WARTS/
      PREGNANCY.
      EPILEPSY.
      GENPILENCIN.
      HIV AIDS.
      PREGNANCY
      DIABETICS
      STROKE.
      EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
      H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
      HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS.
      HERPES.
      SYPHILIS.
      CANCER.
      HEPATITIS A B and C.
      HIRE BLOOD PRESSURES.
      AND BODY BOILS.
      AND BODY DISEASES .
      THANK TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME OF READING MY TESTIMONY AND MOST ESPECIALLY YOU
      Dr Uwa I PRAY TO GOD TO NEVER LET ME AND MY FAMILY FORGET YOU IN OUR LIFE
    • Maybe1day
      I believe direct injection of some sort will be required either way, because AAV, as @OhFuckMyDickHurts has mentioned, will elicit an immune response so it may only be used once, that is if your body isn't already immune to it. So unless crispr is good enough to require only one treatment to eradicate the virus, some form of direct injection will need to be pursued. The way things are rolling now, if you get to live another 15-20 years, you might get to see the early stages of phase 1 trials. 
    • fixme1
      im glad to see it went well for you... you have courage , i have yet to tell a girl i am seeing (i am undiagnosed but my ex had it who didnt disclose till a break up) I know somethings not right so I still will have to mention it. hopefully i will go well and things can move on
    • Dragonfly07
      @boricacid Yes, it really is! Thank you. Me too!  @Blahdittilyblah Thank you. I am too. 
    • Free73
      I read a study which indicated that taking Valtrex as early as possible after primary infection can assist to lessen future outbreaks. There is certainly no evidence of it hindering production of antibodies or anything like that. There is also evidence of Valtrex continuing to assist in the decrease of viral shedding some time after suppressive therapy has stopped
    • Jennjennann
      No infection, discharge is normal. I forgot about the tea tree oil, I will have to get some. Thanks! 
    • crazypuglady
      Hi all, I have been taking Valtrex for almost 1 year and am wondering if it has any effect on the body's ability to develop antibodies? I am not in a relationship or intending to start one so would happily deal with outbreaks if it means relief down the track. Has anyone had any experiences or know of any research which indicates Valtrex limits the body's ability to produce antibodies?
    • TamaraHelen12
      Still don’t know the right words to express my Gratitude to the Great Dr.Ace After been diagnosed of HERPES 1 and 2 VIRUS in Feb, i was given so many health prescription and advice with no improvement, I totally lost hope, until i found testimonies of Great Dr. Ace in an online research on Facebook, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did and he opened up to me and told me what was involved and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, i was cured from herpes by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that herpes can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I’m truly grateful,i still do not know how it was cure it highly unbelievable it just just too real to be real i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support. i advice any one that is living with herpes virus should Contact the Great Dr Ace today, because it has the cure to any Disease Email him on Aceherbalcurehome@gmail.com or call him on +2348056391583
    • TamaraHelen12
      Still don’t know the right words to express my Gratitude to the Great Dr.Ace After been diagnosed of HERPES 1 and 2 VIRUS in Feb, i was given so many health prescription and advice with no improvement, I totally lost hope, until i found testimonies of Great Dr. Ace in an online research on Facebook, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did and he opened up to me and told me what was involved and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, i was cured from herpes by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that herpes can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I’m truly grateful,i still do not know how it was cure it highly unbelievable it just just too real to be real i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support. i advice any one that is living with herpes virus should Contact the Great Dr Ace today, because it has the cure to any Disease Email him on Aceherbalcurehome@gmail.com or call him on +2348056391583 ,,.,..
  • Featured