World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Lifestest

Circumcision as Herpes Treatment

Lifestest

I know this question has been asked in the past with mixed reviews. I am uncircumcised and I get most of my OBs on the foreskin. I notice that after sex or any irritation to the foreskin the virus gets really active and I get the zings in the legs etc. I am on daily Valtrex 1G daily for suppressive and I still get tiny obs every other week or so. I am losing my mind and am about to give up on living a normal life. Life as I once new it is over and I just do not care anymore. I was wondering if I get circumcised if this will reduce obs. I know it will reduce the area in which an ob can form. I understand that the skin has 240,000 nerves in it which I can see how the virus is aggrevated with all of those nerve endings. I think I am going to get circed next week to try low and tight removing all of the inner and outer foreskin in hopes of a reduction in symptoms, shedding etc. Anything at this point to give me back my sanity would be amazing. I just made a fortune in a business venture at 27 years old and I do not even give a damn. I thought money would make me happy but this virus hanging over my head is just killing me daily. I hope the circ will help. Anyone out there been circumcised as an adult and did it do anything to help you. One guy on here thinks he was cured by it. I tried contacting him but he never responded. I am at a loss and whatever I can do at this point to give me some hope I will do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ntdc

Sorry to threadjack you. I don't really have an answer to your question but surely it can't hurt but it will NOT eliminate the possibility of transmitting to others or possible outbreaks in other locations.

Anyway I'm not sure how much "a fortune" is in real dollar terms. However if you have read this site for any length of time you probably know several research programs are on the verge of breakthroughs in treatment. UF has the technology which appears to be closest to clinicals for a permanent one-off treatment to eliminate outbreak/transmission, they also need the least money. Havrard is working on a vaccine and Duke is in the early stages of some treatment/cure research.

Direct gifting of funds to these programs is a good way to ensure that you will see a cure sometime in the (near) future. Of course charitable giving can reduce your tax liability.

If you really want to give back (and you have enough to lay out) setting an up an endowment to one of these programs can ensure the program continues to get fund for years to come. ( More info on endowments here )

UF's donation links are here:

(HSV-1) https://www.uff.ufl.edu/onlinegiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=016081

(HSV-2) https://www.uff.ufl.edu/onlinegiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=016087

Duke:

https://www.gifts.duke.edu/

2/3 down the page there is a text box where you can type designation comments. In this box type: Professor Bryan Cullen account 391-1628.

Lifestest

UF Research

Hey I thank you for reviewing my post and responding back to me. I contacted that doctor at UF a year or so ago about the HSV treatment they are working on with the HammerHead Ribosomes. I told him that I knew some people that would possibly be interested in investing into something that actually works. You would think someone within the University would fund the research with such a promising product. He sent me the literature about the product. It was actually a topical and not an injection which is what I thought it was. I do not see how a topical will cure the outbreaks of the virus for good. I have the paperwork he sent to me on my email maybe I will review it again. I hope something will be available soon but it probably wont be for 5-10 years down the road. How much money do they need to start the studies and how long would it take to get to Human trials. Maybe if I invest they will let me go first. LOL!!

ntdc

You would think someone within the University would fund the research with such a promising product.

Not really universities don't develop drugs. They fund basic research and take a big percentage ownership of any patents in exchange for funding resources they provide to the professors. Drug development is the job of private industry (pharma/biotech).

Yes the article in the news this year made mention of a topical treatment. This is probably because it does not require a modified virus vector to deliver the ribozyme the idea of that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Early information on the UF website did make reference to a one-off injection. I assume it may also be more attractive as a product to market a cream which would have to be used over and over. I really don't know.

Is there a way you could forward the information they sent you? If so please PM me I would really appreciate it. I can provide my private e-mail over PM.

Thanks

By the way how did your circumcision go? A friend of mine got his at 16 and was really miserable for a few weeks after.

I hope something will be available soon but it probably wont be for 5-10 years down the road. How much money do they need to start the studies and how long would it take to get to Human trials. Maybe if I invest they will let me go first. LOL!!

Oh sorry missed a few of your questions , yes 10 yrs is probably about right id say anything less would be highly optimistic, but with technology it may be possible to develop drugs faster now. Frankly I would not imagine there will be anything in terms of a "cure" or really aggressive treatment available before that timeframe. Vaccine may be out in a few years from GSK but I doubt anything for those infected.

You would have to direct those questions to someone involved with the research for exact answers. People on here have reported the lead researched Dr. Bloom claims HSV-1 is ready for clinical trials but there is no interest from the private sector. It has been posted he claims there has been some interested in the HSV-2 treatment but they require somethinglike 200,000 to finish pre-clinical and toxicological studies before it could be taken to any kind of trial. I think its a pity there is no interest in HSV-1 treatment must be a cost issue frankly I would love any kind of such thing the exisitng drugs dont work well for me.

whyme11

i am in a very similar situation (in regards to being uncircumcised and basically always having redness under my foreskin that is, but not being wealthy). i have actually considered the same thing because the foreskin is basically the only place i get this redness. i lead a very active life and workout every day and still have rigorous sex so i have considered that it might be a yeast infection and have started taking lotrimin af with some success. just out of curiousity how long have you had hsv and which type do you have? i have ghsv 1 and have had it for almost 3 monthes. i have heard that herpes can be very viral in the first few weeks following contraction so i am hoping this is just a temporary thing. if you do get your foreskin snipped i would be very interested to hear what happens? (who would have thought i would ever have been interested in another man's circuncusion...wow herpes is hell of an ailment haha).

frustrated123
He sent me the literature about the product.

Could you post the email literature here by doing a copy & paste?

LivingLife77

Donate

Check out the new post about the 24 Mil donation to U of F. That is serious research! I think you should def check out recent progress as we have been hearing a lot in this past year. If I had a "fortune" which I am not sure what that means I would donate or I would partner personally with the investors in a promising study such as U of F or Havard depending on what Type you have. Partnering as an investor=payback on the end and an even greater "fortune" if they develop something that works and that a big pharma buys. It is time to compete with Valtrex!! Get involved man!

This thing totally changed my life. This summer I got a new boat with my family. It is fricken awesome but I can't enjoy it except after 7PM because if I am in the sun for even an hour I get oral and genital outbreaks. I used to love boating and the sun and swimming--now it scares me like a vampire. I have to live my entire life differently. IF you want friends like you, you got them here. Many of us here go to doctor after doctor with no answers. People like yourself have the ability to help others and that should make you feel good. Start reading the forums about Finding a Cure and see what might interest you and you might try to send that form letter Solvingtheproblem is talking about to U of F but change it to tell them you can help in a SERIOUS way. People pay attention to money.

It is like today when I was at the spa. Today I got a 250 spa treatment because I thought it would make me feel better. When they said brought me the lunch menu they were like "oh this and that will be pricey." I told them "I don't care." I got what I wanted and did what I wanted. Sure I will have to pay it back later, but I feel like Herpes is making me want do taste life better.

Tomorrow I learn how to fly planes at the local airport. The next day I am taking my dog for a hiking trip. I am trying to do anything to take my mind off it. If you can help us, do it man! I will help myself!

Z483795

certainly hope you still use the same email address after all these years :)

I have exactly the same question like you. A small study from 1980 on this subject seems to show the circumcision of the infected area, if possible, will reduced the frequency of the outbreaks.. since you mentioned your plan on circumcision by in 2009, just wondering if that decision help you or not. Will you please share with us? Thanks.

I know this question has been asked in the past with mixed reviews. I am uncircumcised and I get most of my OBs on the foreskin. I notice that after sex or any irritation to the foreskin the virus gets really active and I get the zings in the legs etc. I am on daily Valtrex 1G daily for suppressive and I still get tiny obs every other week or so. I am losing my mind and am about to give up on living a normal life. Life as I once new it is over and I just do not care anymore. I was wondering if I get circumcised if this will reduce obs. I know it will reduce the area in which an ob can form. I understand that the skin has 240,000 nerves in it which I can see how the virus is aggrevated with all of those nerve endings. I think I am going to get circed next week to try low and tight removing all of the inner and outer foreskin in hopes of a reduction in symptoms, shedding etc. Anything at this point to give me back my sanity would be amazing. I just made a fortune in a business venture at 27 years old and I do not even give a damn. I thought money would make me happy but this virus hanging over my head is just killing me daily. I hope the circ will help. Anyone out there been circumcised as an adult and did it do anything to help you. One guy on here thinks he was cured by it. I tried contacting him but he never responded. I am at a loss and whatever I can do at this point to give me some hope I will do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

deeangeo32

I think its totally extreme for a variety of reasons. Maybe it wouldn't even get rid of the virus either cause maybe its hanging around in parts that aren't removed.