World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Flystud

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Flystud

I have noticed various attempts to generate funding for Herpes Research. Has anyone thought about contacting the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. They actively support all sorts of research for cures under their Global Health Program. They even have a category for neglected diseases. Link is below:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/grantseeker/Pages/overview.aspx

It might be worth it to try and get them to support the Duke, University of Florida and Harvard research efforts to cure herpes.

Please respond with thoughts. Thanks.

Nick

ihaveherpes1and2

i wrote to them once, and they replied with a very standard answer telling me that they are already have a funding program for research for cure/vaccine etc etc. Though they din tell me specifically which research. Then again, my letter writing skills were horrible so, i dun really think they care much about what i wrote.

Blueskies

This would be a good one for Protecting Future Generations to write to once we have official tax exempt status thanks for the post!

ntdc

Several people have written they are not interested in funding herpes research.

Cure Coming Soon
I have noticed various attempts to generate funding for Herpes Research. Has anyone thought about contacting the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. They actively support all sorts of research for cures under their Global Health Program. They even have a category for neglected diseases. Link is below:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/grantseeker/Pages/overview.aspx

It might be worth it to try and get them to support the Duke, University of Florida and Harvard research efforts to cure herpes.

Please respond with thoughts. Thanks.

Nick

How about you send them a personal email regarding the research you notated in your post. I will also send them an email requesting assistance in funding the three universities you talked about.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/contact-us.aspx

Grant Inquiries

(206) 709-3140

info@gatesfoundation.org

Visit our Grant Seekers section for more information.

redyellowpurpleblue

Several people have written they are not interested in funding herpes research.

thats harsh. why?

Guest Seatortuga
thats harsh. why?

Well, unfortunately, herpes is seen as a disease that only trashy people get. The STIGMA is a major dealbreaker when we ask for funding from anyone. Honestly, do you think some major public figure is going to stand up and say "I support herpes research." No, they are not.

It's "trendy" to support cancer research. Supporting sexually transmitted diseases is not trendy.

Flystud

We need to take it upon ourselves then. Lets raise money through this iphone application / subscription service. THere are scores of ppl afflicted that would kill for a cure. Lets tap them.

ihaveherpes1and2

i wonder what happen to worldcure5herpes ? hope hes doing well with his Iphone application idea.

ntdc
Well, unfortunately, herpes is seen as a disease that only trashy people get. The STIGMA is a major dealbreaker when we ask for funding from anyone. Honestly, do you think some major public figure is going to stand up and say "I support herpes research." No, they are not.

It's "trendy" to support cancer research. Supporting sexually transmitted diseases is not trendy.

LOL believe me that is not the reason.

The Gates foundation has underwritten a major study into the connection

between HIV and HSV-2 in africa. Unfortunately this study showed that

treatment of HSV-2 did not lead to reduced chance of acquiring HIV. Though it is not known why.

The people who have written to them have posted a form letter reply (you can search the forum to find it) I believe it said they are not currently interested in pursuing vaccines or treatments for herpes their current focus is HIV and something else (malaria?)

Clearly the idea is to do the most good where its most needed and that means to try to save the lives of the African people from HIV and other fatal disease.