World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
k3ttl3Chip

Generic Valtrex

k3ttl3Chip

Hello All,

So if you do not know already, Valtrex was approved for generic production by three companies by the FDA as GlaxoSmithKline's basic matter of composition patent on Valtrex expired on June 23rd of this year. Ranbaxy has 180 days exclusivity with their already FDA approved generic pill, and it should be out soon (as they listed its launch as "second half 2009") Wikipedia lists two other generic manufacturers as well.

So, my question is, would there be anything to worry about with a generic form? I have taken generic painkillers after surgery, and have taken generic antibiotics for colds with no issue, so I assume this would be fine. I guess it is just the word "generic" that makes me a bit reserved when it comes to treating this condition. In addition, Ranbaxy was hit with violations by the FDA a while ago so that's not good either.

I am really hoping though that it makes the drug much more affordable, even with insurance, as my copay for it now is $25. I would love to see it fall to my "generic" copay row which is $5 or $10

ntdc

I would not worry about it. Yes it seems ranbaxy has some quality

control issues in their indian factories. I believe they also have factories

here in the US which I assume would be subjected to more strict quality

controls.

The other manufactures are ( I believe ) Mylan which is a company

based out of the US and Teva which is an Israeli company. Both

are highly reputable and I would not be concerned over the quality

of the drug any moreso than another generic drug.

Most people take vitamins and supplements without even thinking of it which are not held to the strict level of oversight as drugs.

By the way if you are taking an antibiotic for a cold you aren't getting any benefit from it

you should only take an antibiotic for an infection (pref. after positive bacterial culture).

fullofhope27

Is the generic available yet? I just got my mail order prescription filled and they didnt have generic, just brand name. I cant wait for the price to drop. I just switched from acyclovir because I am really bad at remembering to take it twice a day!

ntdc
Is the generic available yet? I just got my mail order prescription filled and they didnt have generic, just brand name. I cant wait for the price to drop. I just switched from acyclovir because I am really bad at remembering to take it twice a day!

My pharmacy said they haven't got any yet, they did not know

when they will be getting it in.

Cipla makes an unauthorized generic you can get from some online

pharmacies outside the USA. Its about $70 for a months supply. It may

now be legal to import such a thing. I don't know.

fullofhope27

my co-pay is only $35 a month. so with mail order i get three months for $70. gotta love mail order. hopefully by the time im due for another refill the generic will be available!

Now18

Yay I am so happy about this!! My health insurance has a yearly maximum of $750 for prescriptions and I have maxed that out with Valtrex. Last time I paid over $200 for a 60 day supply. This is not including paying full price for my other meds. I was going to abstain from refilling it next time because it is SO much money and my symptoms are mild.

But maybe I'll just wait for the generic to get on the shelves before I refill.