World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hope4hope

Questions about face washing

hope4hope

Hi All,

this is my first post as I have just had my first cold sore ever to the best of my memory..

Anywho, my question is this, how do those of you with oral hsv 1 wash your face with and without an out break? cause i dont want to spread it to the rest of my face, or my eyes for that matter.. I usally use an exfoliator from ST IVES on my face then clearisl face wash after, i am wondering if this would kill the virus or if anyone has some advise on this matter.. do you all also use different towels for face and body or ? just alot of questions and advise would help me greatly in this matter...

frustrated123

My advise would be to use facial cleansing pads and let it air dry.

Plupha

I don't think a cleanser will kill the virus - however, in terms of drying, I agree with letting it air dry or use your towel and pat dry. Dry the unaffected areas of your body and face first, then the affected areas. This will reduce the amount of contact the towel has with your body after the affected area - and will also prevent spreading and irritation from rubbing the skin.

hope4hope

further explaination

Ok, So you dont think all that acid and whatever in acne face wash will kill it? Then, how do you prevent the spread of the virus while washing your face..?

innerstrength
I don't think a cleanser will kill the virus - however, in terms of drying, I agree with letting it air dry or use your towel and pat dry. Dry the unaffected areas of your body and face first, then the affected areas. This will reduce the amount of contact the towel has with your body after the affected area - and will also prevent spreading and irritation from rubbing the skin.

But then you have to use the towel again so do you try and remember which parts of the towel you used to wipe the affected area versus non-affected? Or do you use a different towel everytime? Sorry, it may be a silly question but I am also new to this.

innerstrength
You should use a fresh towell each time.

Seriously?! Do you mean only when you have an OB with and open lesion right? Or all the time? But how do you know you're not shedding?

clover

something else you can do...

I get herpes on my face and what I do is use paper towels each time I wash my face. I do not rub the paper towel on my face I press it into my face so it will help it not spread anymore. Does that make sense? Hope so.

innerstrength

OK, this may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway...

Do you do this (using paper towels and switching towels often) even when you don't have a sore? My confusion is when you're shedding and don't know that you are... then there is a chance that you could spread the virus since you don't know that you're shedding???

So confusing! A lot of the things I've read are just unclear or conflicting...

Shayna

Yes, The virus is washed away with face soap!! Also, you don't have to worry so much about towel use! If a towel air drys there is no active virus the next time you use it. Trust your common sense, and do what feels right.

I have always used a separate towel when standing at the sink to wash and dry my face. That's something that always made sense to me, and now that I understand the virus, that's what I continue to do.

There was a member here a long time ago who used to buy towels with a patern on one end. That way she always remembered which end she used on her privates. I thought that was a good idea!

innerstrength

Thanks Shayna.... different members seem to have different ideas on how to protect themselves. Guess going the extra mile will never hurt but it'll drive me crazy having to think of which side of the towel I used or using a different towel every single time. Still trying to learn as much about this virus so thanks for your input.

Shayna

You are more than welcome! Also, the links to the right of this page really help you understand hsv and how to manage it. example "spreading and preventing" is a great one ;)