World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
tictac

A 'Novel' To Raise Money

tictac

This might be a dumb idea so I apologise in advance if it is, but I was thinking about those working hard to fund raise, I wondered if you thought about putting together your True Stories in one book and if it sells all the profits could go to Herpes Research.

I think if 10 people got together with very different experiences and wrote 10,000 words each on their experiences, how the stigma effects them and how they feel ignored by the medical field, it would become a very good and informative read. If you could find a doctor to write about the medical side of things it would be more informative.

Obviously it would be better to have an agent and publisher, but you could self publish and advertise on Google so new people effected by Herpes may see it and need to hear some stories to feel that they aren't alone. I'd buy it.

All in one you could be raising awareness, informing and sharing experiences. If the book worked out you may be able to use it to help future investors and the media understand our plight and the desperate need for investment.

Anyway just an idea. I don't know what you all think.

GntiNh

Hi I've been having the same thoughts and it is something I would really like to get going on, so thanks for the prompt.

Hopefully when you get more replies we could get started on it.

Plupha

If my story were really suitable enough for a book... I'd do it... lol but it's not! :p

tictac

If it proved difficult to find a Not For Profit publisher it could always be published as an Ebook which is linked to the organisation. That would be cheaper than self publishing a paper back (although a lot of people still aren't yet into the whole Ebook phenomenon. I prefer reading paper). It would still cut a lot of outgoing expenses and might prove more profitable.

It would also be good to find a recommended editor that you can pay for their services. If you look in the front of similiar books you might get a good name, but a good editor would help get the book up to a professional standard so when you approach publishers or come to sell it you know it's ready to be read.