World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
min0526

looking for guidance

min0526

Hi everyone. Well I was diagnosed with hsv1 orally 20 yrs ago but never had signs of it on my genitals...until wednesday. I went and got a swab test and bloodwork done. my bf of 7 months has hsv1 too but nothing on his genitals. I don't know what to think about this. being I've had it orally for so long don't know why it would crop up now on my anus unless he gave it to me. i need to wait 2 wks for the test which is very hard not knowing if it hsv1 or 2. i've been handling the cold sores, but this is totally scarey for me. just need to vent to someone who understands and need to know what I can do from here regarding my relationship. he says we can take whatever precautions we need to and handle it together no matter what the results are but as for me, I feel dirty now and want to pull away from him and just be alone.

Plupha

It is entirely possible that the virus can be passed through oral sex, so if he has OHSV-1, he could have passed it to you that way.

However, it is nothing to feel dirty about! It's just the same as your Oral HSV, just in a different place, and it is very manageable. With proper medical treatment and protection - the risk of passing it is substantially lower.

I know it's hard, but hang in there, it does get easier. This forum is a great place to start - and I'm happy you have someone so supportive who wants to work through this with you!

min0526

thanks plupha for you response. my thought was that if you already had h1 you couldn't catch it again, but I guess that only stands if you already had it, but it seems it may be possible to pass onto other locations as you said. this ob is very mild, which I'm happy about, but the thought about always checking down there now really bothers me. I'm an avid checker of my lips to make sure im ok, but down there is much more involved. i was always relieved that when i got H1 orally i didn't have it there, now i have it there and really devasted by it. yes my bf is very supportive but now i feel he may be the cause and want to send him away. you would think i would be happy he is supportive, but im seeing it differently. hopefully i can put it behind me, just too early to feel that way right now. thanks for your support.

Plupha

Personally I"m a little fuzzy on the details of how succeptible someone is if they already have that strain in a different area, but I do know that you will probably have milder outbreaks because you already have some antibodies built up against it.

I hope it stays mild!!! ;)

Does your doctor have you on any suppressive therapy? It might be something to discuss, maybe they can keep your outbreaks to a minimum! :) (or ideally, no outbreaks at all!!)

min0526

no suppresive therapy since we dont have the results yet. After that I'm sure we'll talk further on how to handle the virus in all aspects. The waiting is going to be a killer. I already know what it is (you just know) I'm just curious which one. i would suspect this is my first episode but being so mild it makes me wonder. I'll keep everyone informed on the results in which I'm sure I"ll need to vent some more :roll: Thanks!

Plupha

That's what we're here for! I found the links on the right side very helpful in accepting what was going on - as well as reading and responding to posts on here. It really helped me get comfortable with my 'status'.

talesofagirl

Generally, if you already have it in one area you can't catch it in the other area, because you have antibodies for it. So it sounds like you don't have genital hsv-1. (The swab test hasn't come back yet, right? So you don't know...)

It could be hsv-2. Or it could be something else entirely.

The only ways that you would be likely to have "re-caught" it:

1) If your boyfriend was having an actual cold sore/blister--because that's a larger amount/concentration of the virus, it is possible it overwhelmed your antibodies

2) If you caught it there at the same time you caught it orally, and just didn't know, because you didn't have an outbreak. (Is that possible? I don't know how you caught it orally...)

3) If your boyfriend had just recently caught hsv-1. For the first few months after a new infection, there's supposed to be a lot more of the active virus, and again, it could've overwhelmed your antibodies.

Most likely, it is not genital hsv-1.

min0526

Hi, thanks for your response. I caught it from kissing someone a very long time ago. i didnt see the sore in the corner of his mouth until it was too late. why he kissed me is a whole other issue, but i have come to grips with it and moved on. we did not have sex during that time which im glad we didnt and i "thought" that saved me from getting it genitally. my current bf hasnt had any visible ob's and again being I know i already have it orally i wasnt too concerned about getting it again. I did have the swab test and bloodwork done on Friday which she said would take two weeks. It's been 7 days now and it's practically gone, but not healed totally. It may have been my first ob genitally with hsv1 after all this time, but i'm guessing.

If it was a first ob with hsv2 wouldn't it have been much worse? I never had this before as I'm someone who goes to the doctor if I see anything strange and I would have remembered something like this. So I guess I'll have to wait and see. I truly hope it's not hsv2 cuz that would mean I got it from my current bf and that would upset me. :cry: