World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Sundown84

University of Florida Grant

Sundown84

Does anyone know if Dr. Bloom and his HSV research received any part of this $26m grant? It might be the thing we need to push Dr. Bloom's research further and eventually in to clinical trials.

http://www.fiercebiotechresearch.com/story/uf-lands-26m-grant-accelerate-new-discoveries/2009-07-21

solvingtheproblem

This is WONDERFUL news!

Wow -- that is great to hear!

In the supporting article, it mentions that Dr. David Guzick, UF's senior vice president for health affairs and president of the Shands HealthCare system, comes to UF from the University of Rochester, which also was a recipient of the grant. He cited the vaccine to treat the human papillomavirus, a sexually transmitted disease that causes cervical cancer, as an example of its impact there.

Hmmm. Given his positive experience in using the grant to develop a HPV vaccine, I wonder if we should do a petition or letter drive to let him know of our support for Dr. Bloom's work. Some of the money is supposed to be used to expedite the clinical review/licensing process -- given that Dr. Bloom already has the HSV1 ribosome technology ready for clinicals, why not let Dr. Guzick know of our desire to see that technology brought to the forefront? We could also tell him of our fundraising efforts for the HSV2 pre-clinical work.

This may be a fantastic opportunity to focus attention at Dr. Bloom's work, the need for funding, and the HSV community's support for research. What do you all think?

ntdc

Hmmm. Given his positive experience in using the grant to develop a HPV vaccine, I wonder if we should do a petition or letter drive to let him know of our support for Dr. Bloom's work.

Excellent idea

solvingtheproblem

rough outline for the letter to Dr. Guzick

OK -- here's an idea of what the letter could say:

- congratulations on winning the grant

- I am writing to you as a member of the HSV community – excited about how the NIH grant might make the difference in bringing Dr. Bloom’s HSV work to fruition. Given your experience with utilizing this NIH grant mechanism at the University of Rochester to bring the HPV vaccine from the lab table to the doctor’s office, I hope that you will be able to support a similar effort at UF in regards to HSV.

- HSV facts

o There are two strains of HSV: HSV1 (commonly associated with oral “cold sores” and ocular herpes, but is increasingly being reported in the genital region) and HSV2 (commonly associated with genital herpes)

o 1 in 4 people have HSV2; 90% don’t know because they have no/very mild symptoms that assume are something else (i.e., yeast infection, jock itch, razor burn, etc.)

o 75% of the U.S. population has HSV1 – the rate is higher in other countries

o The CDC expects that 50% of the U.S. population will have HSV2 by 2015

o HSV carriers are 5x more likely to acquire HIV

o It can be transmitted even when the carrier is not having an OB – asymptomatic viral shedding is the #1 cause of HSV transmission

o HSV is not included in a “full” STD screen – many people think they are "STD-free", when in fact they have (and can transmit) HSV

- HSV is the “hidden epidemic” that is growing at an alarming rate, due to lack of education and lack of either a therapeutic or preventative vaccine. I believe UF may have a viable answer to this issue.

- Request: the grant managers “fast-track” Dr. Bloom’s HSV-1 work into clinical trials. Use funding to help expedite the process of finding a licensing partner

- Request: the grant managers use some of the grant to fund Dr. Bloom’s HSV2 pre-clinical work. It is our understanding that Dr. Bloom needs $200k to perform this research. We believe this investment would be returned a hundred-fold, should a viable product be realized from this work.

- Please let me know if there are other actions I, as a private citizen, can take to help drive funding support to Dr. Bloom’s research.

Am I missing anything? Let me know, and I'll include it. I'll create an "official" letter, and we'll have it as the "Action of the Month" for August!

Flystud
OK -- here's an idea of what the letter could say:

- congratulations on winning the grant

- I am writing to you as a member of the HSV community – excited about how the NIH grant might make the difference in bringing Dr. Bloom’s HSV work to fruition. Given your experience with utilizing this NIH grant mechanism at the University of Rochester to bring the HPV vaccine from the lab table to the doctor’s office, I hope that you will be able to support a similar effort at UF in regards to HSV.

- HSV facts

o There are two strains of HSV: HSV1 (commonly associated with oral “cold sores” and ocular herpes, but is increasingly being reported in the genital region) and HSV2 (commonly associated with genital herpes)

o 1 in 4 people have HSV2; 90% don’t know because they have no/very mild symptoms that assume are something else (i.e., yeast infection, jock itch, razor burn, etc.)

o 75% of the U.S. population has HSV1 – the rate is higher in other countries

o The CDC expects that 50% of the U.S. population will have HSV2 by 2015

o HSV carriers are 5x more likely to acquire HIV

o It can be transmitted even when the carrier is not having an OB – asymptomatic viral shedding is the #1 cause of HSV transmission

o HSV is not included in a “full” STD screen – many people think they are "STD-free", when in fact they have (and can transmit) HSV

- HSV is the “hidden epidemic” that is growing at an alarming rate, due to lack of education and lack of either a therapeutic or preventative vaccine. I believe UF may have a viable answer to this issue.

- Request: the grant managers “fast-track” Dr. Bloom’s HSV-1 work into clinical trials. Use funding to help expedite the process of finding a licensing partner

- Request: the grant managers use some of the grant to fund Dr. Bloom’s HSV2 pre-clinical work. It is our understanding that Dr. Bloom needs $200k to perform this research. We believe this investment would be returned a hundred-fold, should a viable product be realized from this work.

- Please let me know if there are other actions I, as a private citizen, can take to help drive funding support to Dr. Bloom’s research.

Am I missing anything? Let me know, and I'll include it. I'll create an "official" letter, and we'll have it as the "Action of the Month" for August!

I would stress the insidious nature of Herpes Virus mainly Ocular Herpes and Herpes Encephalitis.

Ocular Herpes is the leading cause of corneal blindness in the developed world.

Herpes encephalitis, a rapidly progressing disease, is the single most important cause of fatal sporadic encephalitis in the United States. This disease, which is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1, can affect any age group, but is most often seen in people under age 20 or over age 40. More than half of all untreated cases are fatal. Over 90% of those that are treated timely still have mild to severe neurological deficits.

It is also known to cause Ramsay Hunt's Syndrom and Meniere's disease that ultimately lead to deafness.

Apart from this, the burden of a lifelong illness and the stigma associated with is a leading cause of depression and suicides amongst patients.

It is a disease that makes life a living hell for those that are symptomatic.

Cure Coming Soon

solvingtheproblem you letter looks good. Let us know when or if you send Dr. David Guzick an email or letter. We would all like to see money directed to Dr. Bloom’s research.

confused one

Is there any point in writing to Dr. Peter Stacpoole? He is the director of UF's clinical and translational science institute ( CTSI). Which, I think according to this article: http://www.firstscience.com/home/news/infectious-and-emerging-diseases/uf-gets-nearly-26-million-to-speed-scientific-discoveries-to-patient-care_67501.html

Will coordinate the grant.

Sundown84

I think writing to both doctors would be an excellent idea.

solvingtheproblem,

Your letter looks great. If I may add something, you might want to put in your letter how members of this website raised over $2,000 for Dr. Bloom to start a donation website for his HSV research. Also you may want to let both Dr. Guzick and Dr. Stacpoole know that members and guest of this website have donated money and continue to donate money in support of Dr. Bloom's research.

I think by letting both Dr. Guzick and Dr. Stacpoole know about the donations, this will show them that we are serious about finding a cure for HSV and fully support Dr. Bloom's research.

confused one

solvingtheproblem: Is this to be a letter writng campaign? I'd be happy to send some letters too.

Cure Coming Soon
solvingtheproblem: Is this to be a letter writng campaign? I'd be happy to send some letters too.

I second that. If you type up a letter, I'll send it on yours and or this websites behalf. The more letters may get his attention as we know of the grant.