World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ntdc

Irresponsible scientists and Howard Stern

ntdc

Listening to a recent episode of the Howard Stern Show they were talking about a recent study by "contraception magazine" (LOL seriously...) that claims condoms are about as effective as the withdrawal method in preventing pregnancy. I understand the study authors mention it cannot prevent against STDs but honestly this research seems totally irresponsible. You know most people just hear whatever they want to hear and putting out there that condoms and withawal are equally as effective is just leaving thei impression on people that it is OK. There are already enough people who simply think that STDs cant happen to them and are willing to forgo condoms if one isnt around. You know it just seems like it encourages risky behavior and I cant see any possible benefit gained from publishing such a study and it simply supports a negative behavior.

Then a guy, Ralph, calls in who is a regular caller and friend of Stern's and says he's never used a condom in 20 years. Stern who talks often about his personal adherance to condom use asked if he isnt afraid of disease like HIV or Herpes. Ralph replies that he can "just tell" if a girl is clean or not.

Thankfully the rest of the cash admonished him and called him basically a nut.

It just boggles my mind how many people out there have that thought. Personally I got infected despite knowing the risks and kind of willfully ignored them. And I am really shocked in the age of HIV some scientists would actually publish a study which supports incredibly risky behavior.

Guest Seatortuga

Oh Look! I can add this magazine to my list of murderers who get away! Here it is so far:

1.Pope

2. This magazine

3. O.J.

That's right, let's tell people not to use condoms. This makes me sick.

Sorry to any catholics on here...

GntiNh

It's frightening to read your post that so many people have no real sex education.

Personally I had no idea about herpes before I contracted it. But it's been the best health education I can teach my children. I have also got more comfortable about talking about it with friends adn I actually corrected someone a couple of weeks ago when they said that condoms were total protection.

It's still wrong that in the UK, herpes testing is not included in a "full" STD screening.

Now18
Ralph replies that he can "just tell" if a girl is clean or not.

That is my least favorite misconception about herpes! I bet you anything that I would be that girl that everyone would assume to be clean.

Also, my ex boyfriend (who gave me GHSV) always talked about this study. The first time we had sex, he just started having sex with me without a condom and just pulled out at the end. He didn't ask me anything about STDs and he didn't know that I was on birth control. Afterwards I said "Why didn't you use a condom???" He gave some answer about how pulling out works just as well (based on a study) and if either of us had STDs we could clear it up with antibiotics. "I said, what about HIV or hepres?" He looked at me as if those two STDs were incredibly rare... and that he would never have either of them.

Same dumb logic!! UGGGGH

Was23

Irresponsible non-scientists

Not sure I see how the scientists are being irresponsible: they did a study, and AFAIK, the results are sound. And you mention that those scientists did caution (in case anyone was dumb enough to think otherwise) that the withdrawal method of birth control would not protect one against STDs (it might work just a little bit for some of them, like HIV from male to female, but I'll concede the point). All the other examples you list are of people (non-scientists) doing irresponsible things despite the fact that science has firmly establish that those acts are risky.

Their study is valuable information in the birth control arena (some couples, for religious or other reasons, can't use condoms or any other method). Just because it is not relevant in the STD world is no reason to scoff.

While I might draw the line at, say, scientists publishing plans for a new way to make a nuclear bomb with ordinary kitchen utensils, my tendency is to be extremely skeptical about society attempting to suppress information because we think some people will be too stupid to understand it. Outside of clearly dangerous findings, a scientist is behaving responsibily if he/she just insures that the conclusions reached in a study are sound and supported by the data.

IMO, if you treat adults like children, you run the risk of training them to act like children. [And who get to be a "decider" of these issues (and what would the standards be).] A better solution would be to improve the skills of people to better comprehend such information. (Better Science education, anyone?)

Now18
While I might draw the line at, say, scientists publishing plans for a new way to make a nuclear bomb with ordinary kitchen utensils, my tendency is to be extremely skeptical about society attempting to suppress information because we think some people will be too stupid to understand it. Outside of clearly dangerous findings, a scientist is behaving responsibily if he/she just insures that the conclusions reached in a study are sound and supported by the data.

You're right. Scientists have every right to research this. Sometimes people only listen to what they want to hear. They're told pulling out may be effective for pregnancy but they tune out the "it doesn't protect from STDs" part.

ntdc

I agree with some of what you are saying. I didn't say it should be suppressed but I question the motivation of such a study and who would find it useful. Omission or de-emphasis of certain facts happens all the time in sex education for the public good, just look at how HIV is presented in most sex education classes/literature. Not really outright lies but omission of many known facts about transmission and prevalence rates basically for people's own good.

I also agree WRT the idea critical thinking skills could be better in a lot of people.

Anway just an aside a religeous couple would certainly not be able to justify use of such an act over other contraception. The biblical justifcation for the taboo on contraception comes from genesis 38:8-10

In this passage Onan pulls out when having sex with his brother's wife to avoid getting her pregnant, and god kills him.

I'm not sure why the pill is not an acceptable option for most religeous people because it does not cause destruction of the semen which is what this passage expressly forbids.