World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
cyclingdude

If my g/f missed taking valtrex 4 days...

cyclingdude

Okay, my g/f and I are in a monogamous relationship. She disclosed having genital herpes long ago. We have been careful about when we have sex, trying to make sure she is not experiencing an outbreak. I know she could be shedding and not know about it, but that is a chance I have been willing to take. My question is... She ran out of Valtrex for about 4 or 5 days. She got back on and had taken only 1 pill when we had unprotected sex. My question is. Would there be any reason to believe the virus would be more likley to shed b/c she had been off the Valtrex? I've heard that any change can cause outbreaks, but I wondered if a change like that would cause more shedding than normal?

Thanks in advance,

Cyclingdude

ntdc

Its impossible to know , they found during the original valtrex study on transmission that compliance is never 100% but missing a day or so didn't here and there seem to affect transmission much. You may want to abstain or use condoms for a few days just to be sure. If she doesn't have a break out you are prob safe. Its not like the virus is coming active every second valtrex is out of the body the shedding only occurrs on 20% of days in people who dont take it.