World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
justsad

REALLY Confused

justsad

I spoke with my Dr's office today because I tested positive for short term exposure to HSV. My husband was tested and came up positive (1.38) for HSV1. I am assuming that means I have HSV1 also. My confusion is that the Dr told me HSV1 id just a cold sore and nothing more. Basically ANYONE that has ever had a cold sore would test positive for HSV1. Well I had cold sores when I was younger but my test came up positive for short term exposure. I don't get it. So my kids who have had cold sores...They are HSV1 positive also? And the Millions of other people in the world also? She also told me that because it is HSV1 I will not have anymore outbreaks...Down there... Am I wrong or does that sound really off? I think I need a second opinion....

Searchingforacure
Sorry it was 1.38 no smilie face....

If I were you I would get tested again. 1.38 is a very low positive. It could even be a false positive.

Butterfly of the Moment

Hello there, having hsv1 genital herpes you can have more than one outbreak...often times doctors are behind on their knowledge of certain stds including herpes. You will get outbreaks less frequently than you would if you had hsv2 though. If you've had coldsores (not canker sores some people don't know that it's not the same thing) since you were a child then you've had hsv1. Perhaps get retested if you want to know exactly what your decimal level is.