World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
vagabond79

suggested acyclovir dosage for suppresive therapy

vagabond79

Dear All,

Kindly share with me the suggested acyclovir dosage for suppressive therapy.

I just recovered from my third outbreaks and planning to keep taking acyclovir 400mg 2 tablets twice a day and next week i will try to reduce it to 400mg 1 tablet twice a day.is it ok? i'm affraid if i reduce the dosage, the outbreak will recurrent. I've been diagnosed GHSV2 for two months and already got 3 outbreaks so far and i'm getting tired of it.

Tried the natural herbs until now, i consume virgin coconut oil 2 tablespoon twice a day, take garlic 500mg a day and also sip apple cider vinegar 2 tablespoon i mix it with 16 oz water. Hope this can help me.

I learnt all the herbs from this website : www.earthclinic.com

Please do help me regarding to the dosage of acyclovir.

Thanks

vagabond79

PoisonIvy

You really need to ask your doctor about this. I take 2 400 mg capsules once a day for suppressive therapy. I wouldn't suggest that you change the dosage without consulting a doctor first.

Hope this helps.

vagabond79

Dear PoisonIvy,

Thank you for your suggestion. Can you inform for how long have you been into suppressive therapy?

Please do let me know....

PoisonIvy

I took Valtrex for about a year and then switched to Acycolvir.

It's been 7 or 8 months that I've been taking it.

jacksprat
I took Valtrex for about a year and then switched to Acycolvir.

It's been 7 or 8 months that I've been taking it.

I've just started the same suppressive dosage of Aciclovir as you. Have you found that it's stopped the OBs?

Thanks, Jack

PoisonIvy

I've only had 2 OBs since I contracted it. Neither one was when I was taking Acyclovir.

inspired83

1st: Talk to your dr before tapering off of the acyclovir during an ob. It is an antibiotic. Antibiotics still work even at the end of the course to stop any remaining remants in your body. Your external symptoms may be gone but not internally. ((I work in the veterniary field and it's such a pain when people don't have their pets finish antibiotics and they come back to me in 2 weeks wondering why the pet is still sick))! Not trying to sound bitchy but there is a reason your dr. perscribed a certain course for each ob.

2. I've had hsv2 for 2 years now. I've been on acyclovir 400mgs 3x a day for 10 days (30 pills). I had back to back ob's for about the first 5-6 months. Stress and my period was the major factor in back to back obs.

3. I took a sample of valtrex daily for about a week. I loved it and seemed to feel better internally (not sure if that is possible) when I took it. No ob's but I wasn't stressed out or on my period (my main symptom culprits). But because it is majorly expensive (lost insurance) I went back to acyclovir.

4. Because here in the US (not sure where you are located), there is a $4 generic prescription program at certain pharmacies, I switched to 200mg acyclovir 2 pills, 3x a day for 10 days (60 pills). It still takes care of my ob's. I just have to take more pills.

vagabond79

thanks

Dear Inspired83,

Thank you for your info, now i'm stick with 2x400mg and 1000mg l-lysine a day. So far so good, but still got d mild headache, sometimes nausea feeling and body tingling...dunno its caused by the virus or no....i also taking d 1000mg vit.c and 500mg echinacea twice daily..

fyi, i come from jakarta, indonesia...(maybe bali sounds more familiar to you..)

limabean

Have you paid attention to your diet at all?

I've found that i am very sensitive to the whole lysine/arginine balance. You said you're taking coconut oil - that's very high in arginine, also, nut's and chocolate. I made a curry last week with coconut milk and woke w/ an outbreak the next morning, and that's with taking 2000mg lysine a day and 800mg acyclovir....

I think there's a list of the foods on this site if you're interested.

good luck!

vagabond79
Have you paid attention to your diet at all?

I've found that i am very sensitive to the whole lysine/arginine balance. You said you're taking coconut oil - that's very high in arginine, also, nut's and chocolate. I made a curry last week with coconut milk and woke w/ an outbreak the next morning, and that's with taking 2000mg lysine a day and 800mg acyclovir....

I think there's a list of the foods on this site if you're interested.

good luck!

Yes, been consuming virgin coconut oil for 3 months and doing OK..i think VCO is not one of my trigger, know coconut oil is high in arginine but it also a very good antiviral, last time i also consumed 1000mg of garlic everyday but i found that garlic cause trouble on my stomach and respiratory (breathing problem) so i stopped it.

Now i changed into 1000mg of L-Lysine from GNC.

Hope this will works....

trying

according to this website, for lysine to be effective you need to take 1250 mg a day or higher. during an outbreak, you should take 3000mg or more.

lovebug
1st: Talk to your dr before tapering off of the acyclovir during an ob. It is an antibiotic.

Correction: it's an antiviral. Antibiotics work by killing bacteria. Antivirals work by halting the replication of viruses.

justmyself

I read that you should take a minimum of 1,250 mgs. of Lysine for outbreaks. I would increase to that dosage if I were you. I am at the end of my first OB now and am on Valtrex and 2,000 mgs. of Lysine, along with an assortment of other vitamins, including C and B complex.

Good luck!