World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hopeless78

newly diagnosed, and depressed

hopeless78

yesterday as i was driving to work i noticed something on my lip. i freaked out, took a half day at work and went straight to the doctor. he confirmed it through observation, a cold sore. i'm 30 and never had a cold sore before. im not sure where i may have come in contact with the virus, if it was when i was younger and never noticed an outbreak until now, or from one of my stupid adventures. either way, im left pretty depressed.

right now im worried about breakouts and severity of breakouts. it's only a small blister on my lower left side of my lip, and it has been 24 hours and seemingly getting smaller and more unoticeable. if there is a one in a couple year event, it's not a big deal. if i have to deal with this every month, i will be very depressed. is it true with time the outbreaks become less frequent?

it seems like even with cold sores, there is a stigma. im single, and have no clue how to approach the subject on a date. should i always mention it prior to even trying to attempt to kiss a female? if 80% of the population has it, why arent more people tested for it?

BEAUTIFULLYDAMAGEDMAMA

It is unfortuante that is not on the standard STD testing. I think it's because testing for herpes is expensive and many can't afford it and others think it is included on the standard test, but later find out it's not after they have an outbreak. It should automatically be on the standard std test and more people would be aware if they carry the virus instead of unknowingly transmitting the virus left and right. I hate the way the STD testing is being coordinated.

hopeless78

so ive had this since thursday morning, and on saturday it looks like nothing. infact, im starting to think it was a ingrown hair, because i am an awfully hairy guy and get ingrown hairs all over my neck area. ive had the same confusion before near my genital area, and after getting it examind was told it was ingrown hairs and not to cut the hairs so close. last week i shaved for 5 days straight, something i never do since i usually just shave every other day. i can infact see where the hair is having troubles growing. it also looks nothing like other cold sores that i have seen in pics from web sites.

the part that confuses me is i had a general practioner check it out. he looked at it, said it was too close to the lip to be a zit or ingrown hair. that was his only reasoning. he didnt take a culture like any good doctor would have done, or requested blood work (typical of our hmo system. greatest health care system in the world!). i actually just went outside of my hmo to get blood work for both types of herpes infections. im sure i will be hsv-1 positive as most americans are, but that will not solve the problem if i get cold sores or not. i guess only time will tell and if i get another "outbreak" it will be confirmed.

gotitsowhat

If you have another outbreak

you could get a swab test. Meanwhile, get the blood test that determines what type of herpes it is (if it is--best of luck!).

They don't test for cold sore hsv1 herpes because it is, for the most part, medically minor, harmless and since most people have it, it can be considered "normal." And the stigma is not nearly as bad as genital herpes, although a cold sore can be ugly.