World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
rockgirl

can the virus

rockgirl

if you get sores on your female part and not on your buttcheeks and your towel you are drying off with touches your buttcheeks, and then you touch the part of the towel with your hands that just had contact with your butt, is it possible to then get the virus on your hands? im not talking about infecting your hands, but just getting the virus on your hands and possibly spreading it to another part of your body.

i'm just trying to understand herpes better so if anyone could give me your input about my situation, that would be nice....

Shayna

Hi Rockgirl,

One thing that can help you understand about the virus is, after you've had herpes for a while your own body builds antibodies that protects you from spreading it to other areas of your body. Also, the virus doesn't live long on oxygenated surfaces. So the idea of it getting on your towel and then to your hands and spreading it that way are extremely unlikely. If you have a full blown outbreak, you can use the towel on that area last to be safe.

I know I say this often, (and I'll continue because it's so important ;) ) reading the info links on this site really helps you understand the basics of herpes and how to manage it.

rockgirl

thanks shayna. I always worry about these things. I come up with all these possibilities and start freaking myself out. I was worried I had spread it to my mouth because right after I touched the part of the towel that just touched my butt, I brushed my teeth and I didn't wash my hands before touching my mouth/face.

I know the info on here says that the herpes virus can't live on towels, or at least for very long, but i was afraid I touched the towel when there was that possibility of it being on there, because there was not any time in between the towel touching my butt and then me touching the towel.

rockgirl

p.s---- so do you think with the info I have given you, that it would be safe to kiss my son? I just want to be safe. If you think there is any possibility that I could have gotten it on my mouth or area surrounding my mouth, plase let me know.

Shayna

Oh Darlin', It makes me so sad to hear you worry like this. If you have never had oral herpes and you are only worried about this because of the towel contact, there is no need for worry kissing your son!

I wish you would really study all you can about the virus. Once you understand how it functions....life will be so much easier and less stressful. You will feel so much better. Asking questions is great here, don't get me wrong. It's just so important to learn all you can by reading so you feel you have some control back of your life, not the virus controling you. ;)

rockgirl

As far as I know I have never had oral herpes. I am just worried about the towel contact. I know I shouldn't worry so much about it, I'm just so scared about herpes. I can't see the actual virus unless Im having an outbreak, so that really scares me because of the shedding without symptoms.

I really really really really want my life back. I found out that I had herpes when i was 37 weeks pregnant and I think it traumatized me so much that I'm having an extremley hard time accepting this. And to make matters worse, I have a pretty bad case of OCD which makes me obsess over herpes. I don;t want to be like this, but I can't help it. I plan on getting some help with the Ocd as soon as i get insurance.

Anyway, thank you so much for helping me. You really made me feel better about this. If you don't mind, I'd like to be able to ask you more questions if they arise because you seem to very knowledgable about herpes.

Shayna

rockgirl, you can ask me anything you like. I will share whatever I know with you....I don't know everything though, believe me. I would just love to see you empower yourself with knowledge of the virus. That's why I encourage you to read all of the info here about the facts of hsv.

I hope you can address your ocd soon..that must be sheer hell and I'm so sorry you have to deal with it!

Take care!

prgrlm

Rockgirl, I don't have the virus but I have a friend that have a sore in one side of her lips. I let her give me a kiss in my face only with the condition that the kiss was with her other side of her lips where she don't have the sore. I'm worried if I will get the virus, I think it was safe but I don't know. I will let you know if I get it. Hope it's not spread like this, I don't like to said no to friends.

I heard that if you get in contact with the infected part you need to wash your hands quickly for don't spread the virus to other parts of your body. I don't know if the hand sanitizers that are recommended for not spread the H1N1 are effective with herpes but if it is, keep a bottle with you. Maybe if you give a kiss and clean with alcohol quickly your son face it could be safer.

Don't take my recommendations like working solutions, but they are safe things to do.

HSVcurious

Rockgirl, you can absolutely kiss your son. If you have genital herpes the HSV-2 virus will be on your genitals and no where close to the oral area. Even if the person has oral HSV-2, the shedding rates are too low and for someone to catch it with a kiss will have millions-to-one chances.

The skin on the cheeks are thick, so when you kiss your son do it on the cheeks and to be on the safest side as possible, then make sure you dont kiss close to his lips. It will be impossible for you to infect your son.

Dont let the virus cause you anxiety, remember its a sexually transmitted disease and not a casual contact disease.