World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
mortifiedOMG

Newly Diagnosed and pregnant

mortifiedOMG

My husband of 2 years and I are pregnant with our first child. A week and a half ago, I came down with what I thought was a yeast infection (which is totally common during pregnancy). While I was using the cream to treat it, my labia started to feel like it was burning whenever I urinated. I had assumed that too much cream had irritated/burned the area, but I still wanted to have it checked by my OB. The area was red but there were no sores present. I went to my doctor and he said the area looked herpetic b/c he could see a small cluster of dots. I thought for sure it would come back negative b/c I have had many STD screens which always came back negative and I had never seen a sore in my life.

Well, the test came back positive and the doctor informed me that I could have had this for many years and been without symptoms and the physical stress of pregnancy brought on the first outbreak. He also told me that it can be spread by people who have never had symptoms or outbreaks either. I'm a very educated woman and I had never heard that it can be dormant and can be spread that way. The lack of education on this subject is frightening!!

Luckily, my loving husband's first reaction was, "So, worst case scenario is that we both have it. As long as our baby isn't in any danger, then we will be fine. Stop beating yourself up, it could have been me that has had it for many years and gave it to you." (He has also been keeping the situation very light by saying, "I wonder how many of our friends have it too", b/c statistically 1 in 4 people have it). He has never had an outbreak either but will be going to the doctor next week to get tested.

Right now, I'm trying very hard not to beat myself up, but it is so hard. I feel so dirty. I keep telling myself that if I have had it for 10 years, then I am still the same person I was 2 weeks ago. I feel ashamed b/c I carry this huge secret. I have moments of thinking that this baby deserves a better parent. I hate secrets but this is one that my husband and I will take to the grave.

Now that I have done the research, I hate that there is this HUGE stigma attached to a skin condition. The only education ever given is the worst case scenario pictures, which is why people are usually repulsed by the mere mention of Herpes. Looking at my outbreak, you can't even see the sores and my doctor said that I can totally expect to never experience an outbreak again after my pregnancy. But I am scared he is wrong.

The doctor called me in a prescription for Valtrax and when I picked it up, the price was $246 for 20 pills. THAT IS A COMPLETE OUTRAGE and almost sounds criminal. Because I am pregnant, I am going to have to take those HUGE horse pills for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy to suppress an outbreak before delivery. Does anyone know if insurance will cover it if it is mandatory to keep my baby safe?????

JBnATL

Acyclovir is much cheaper

I am sorry to hear your recent entry into our 'club'. However, it does look like you are following the right steps and educating yourself about the virus

I am unsure about insurance, but I do know that Walmart has a 90 prescription or Acyclovir for $4. I also understand Costco also has it at that price.

Also, click on the link to the right "What is Lysine" many people claim it also helps them contain the virus.

I have had this disease many years and it means nothing to me. I live my life as I want and that includes dating non h women.

Good luck!

stlc
My husband of 2 years and I are pregnant with our first child. A week and a half ago, I came down with what I thought was a yeast infection (which is totally common during pregnancy). While I was using the cream to treat it, my labia started to feel like it was burning whenever I urinated. I had assumed that too much cream had irritated/burned the area, but I still wanted to have it checked by my OB. The area was red but there were no sores present. I went to my doctor and he said the area looked herpetic b/c he could see a small cluster of dots. I thought for sure it would come back negative b/c I have had many STD screens which always came back negative and I had never seen a sore in my life.

Well, the test came back positive and the doctor informed me that I could have had this for many years and been without symptoms and the physical stress of pregnancy brought on the first outbreak. He also told me that it can be spread by people who have never had symptoms or outbreaks either. I'm a very educated woman and I had never heard that it can be dormant and can be spread that way. The lack of education on this subject is frightening!!

Luckily, my loving husband's first reaction was, "So, worst case scenario is that we both have it. As long as our baby isn't in any danger, then we will be fine. Stop beating yourself up, it could have been me that has had it for many years and gave it to you." (He has also been keeping the situation very light by saying, "I wonder how many of our friends have it too", b/c statistically 1 in 4 people have it). He has never had an outbreak either but will be going to the doctor next week to get tested.

Right now, I'm trying very hard not to beat myself up, but it is so hard. I feel so dirty. I keep telling myself that if I have had it for 10 years, then I am still the same person I was 2 weeks ago. I feel ashamed b/c I carry this huge secret. I have moments of thinking that this baby deserves a better parent. I hate secrets but this is one that my husband and I will take to the grave.

Now that I have done the research, I hate that there is this HUGE stigma attached to a skin condition. The only education ever given is the worst case scenario pictures, which is why people are usually repulsed by the mere mention of Herpes. Looking at my outbreak, you can't even see the sores and my doctor said that I can totally expect to never experience an outbreak again after my pregnancy. But I am scared he is wrong.

The doctor called me in a prescription for Valtrax and when I picked it up, the price was $246 for 20 pills. THAT IS A COMPLETE OUTRAGE and almost sounds criminal. Because I am pregnant, I am going to have to take those HUGE horse pills for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy to suppress an outbreak before delivery. Does anyone know if insurance will cover it if it is mandatory to keep my baby safe?????

Amen to that!!! :)

Thats exactly what I thought! I come from an extremely educated background/family and I never knew how easy it was to get infected. I never knew that it could be carried onto others when it was 'dormant'.

I knew of it as this scary thing that looks like your vagina is about to rot off or something! hahahaha!

I also only got 4 tiny pimples and 4 days later is was gone. Nothing like the pictures one sees when doing research.

I would def look into Lysine and getting your system more alkaline, keep the acidity levels lowered reduce the amount of nasty breakouts.

There are also very skilled homeopaths that are great for this kind of aid, they know what will work for you, the baby and the herpes.

Check it out!

Please keep us informed! x

gotitsowhat

Accyclovir is the same thing as Valtrex but you have to take more capsules. You might consider taking that instead of the more expensive Valtex.

Also, you can usually get an exemption for the prescription from most doctors, they just have to sign a paper saying you need that type of medication; I got an exemption at Kaiser but I had to fight them on it. It took me 3 months and they gave me a lot of trouble over it. Their main weapon was embarrassment; they kept asking me a lot of very personal and embarrassing questions about my sex life, love life and/or lack of same. The lady at the pharmacy insisted I could not find out by phone if my exemption had come through but had to come in and ask in person (I later found out that was wrong, she just said it to get me to go through more trouble). So I would go in every couple of days and she would talk to me about my "GENITAL HERPES" on the top of her lungs, as loud as she could talk. It was awful. I begged her to talk quietly but she ignored me and kept on talking so loud people at the other end of the pharmacy turned around to listen. This is an example of the harassment I got at Kaiser when I tried to get a Valtrex exemption. I was told by a more sympathetic pharmacy lady that Kaiser almost never gives Valtrex exemptions to older ladies like me because they don't believe we will ever get a date anyway.

They could be right. But I got the exemption. I persisted. I kept calling and coming back even though it was incredibly humiliating and eventually they caved in. So now I get cheap Valtrex.

If I had it to do over again, I would just take the Accyclovir!

Yes, a lot of us were amazed at how little we knew about herpes until we got it. There is very little clear reasonable education about this virus. Doctors will obscure it rather than being forthright and honest about it--they love to avoid the misery of a diagnosis. Most "full STD screenings" do not include herpes.

Good thing you have a good husband. That can make all of this a lot easier to endure. He sounds like a winner.

stlc
Accyclovir is the same thing as Valtrex but you have to take more capsules. You might consider taking that instead of the more expensive Valtex.

Also, you can usually get an exemption for the prescription from most doctors, they just have to sign a paper saying you need that type of medication; I got an exemption at Kaiser but I had to fight them on it. It took me 3 months and they gave me a lot of trouble over it. Their main weapon was embarrassment; they kept asking me a lot of very personal and embarrassing questions about my sex life, love life and/or lack of same. The lady at the pharmacy insisted I could not find out by phone if my exemption had come through but had to come in and ask in person (I later found out that was wrong, she just said it to get me to go through more trouble). So I would go in every couple of days and she would talk to me about my "GENITAL HERPES" on the top of her lungs, as loud as she could talk. It was awful. I begged her to talk quietly but she ignored me and kept on talking so loud people at the other end of the pharmacy turned around to listen. This is an example of the harassment I got at Kaiser when I tried to get a Valtrex exemption. I was told by a more sympathetic pharmacy lady that Kaiser almost never gives Valtrex exemptions to older ladies like me because they don't believe we will ever get a date anyway.

They could be right. But I got the exemption. I persisted. I kept calling and coming back even though it was incredibly humiliating and eventually they caved in. So now I get cheap Valtrex.

If I had it to do over again, I would just take the Accyclovir!

Yes, a lot of us were amazed at how little we knew about herpes until we got it. There is very little clear reasonable education about this virus. Doctors will obscure it rather than being forthright and honest about it--they love to avoid the misery of a diagnosis. Most "full STD screenings" do not include herpes.

Good thing you have a good husband. That can make all of this a lot easier to endure. He sounds like a winner.

Holy Moly your experience with Kaiser is shocking!!!! :mad:

So glad you stuck it to the plate and refused to back down! Brilliant.

and I totally agree, your husband is a winner :)