World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Smoresandchocolate

HSV-1 Oral moves to Genital

Smoresandchocolate

Hi-

My BF has recurring HSV-1 oral cold sore outbreaks. He never had HSV-1 genitally. He had a big oral hsv-1 outbreak 12 days ago and I noticed a sore on him genitally 10 days after that. I had given him oral sex last week before the genital one appeared.

I had HSV-1 genitally- but never developed anitbodies even 10 months later... believe it or not!!! And I had one outbreak 3 years ago and then nothing since... orally or genitally.

Is it possible this new genital sore just appeared randomly or he touched his mouth and then himself? We had sex with a condom only. why would it decide to appear genitally after years and years of only cold sores?

Arg---- Thanks.

Butterfly of the Moment

Hello there, the thing about Hsv1 is it thrives in the oral region while Hsv2 thrives in the genital region therefore you have more outbreaks in the respective regions that the virus seem to "prefer." He may have not had an outbreak until now because again Hsv1 is not typically a genital virus...but then again a lot more cases of genital herpes are due to Hsv1. Perhaps he had a momentary lapse in his immune system and the virus made an appearance....also, sometimes outbreaks can appear as rashes, razor burn, dried skin with cracks in it, pimples, or even like a yeast infection so he may not have recognized it for what it was at the time. Also, perhaps you were shedding without symptoms at the time you gave him oral sex...it is quite common to pass the virus on without symptoms.

talesofagirl
Hi-

My BF has recurring HSV-1 oral cold sore outbreaks. He never had HSV-1 genitally. He had a big oral hsv-1 outbreak 12 days ago and I noticed a sore on him genitally 10 days after that. I had given him oral sex last week before the genital one appeared.

I had HSV-1 genitally- but never developed anitbodies even 10 months later... believe it or not!!! And I had one outbreak 3 years ago and then nothing since... orally or genitally.

Is it possible this new genital sore just appeared randomly or he touched his mouth and then himself? We had sex with a condom only. why would it decide to appear genitally after years and years of only cold sores?

Arg---- Thanks.

He could've had hsv-1 in BOTH places this whole time, and never had a genital outbreak before. If he caught it in both places at the same time, that is definitely possible.

Or the sore could've been something else. Are you sure it was a herpes sore? Or is it possible it's hsv-2?

Your hsv-1 would not have caused this unless possibly you had an active sore, or you had just acquired it.

Oh, and I would not kiss him when he has a sore, because you could catch it orally. (When there's an active sore, supposedly the amount of virus can be too much for your existing antibodies.)

ntdc

Its likely you have antibodies the most common blood test is rather faulty when it comes to HSV-1 more sensitive tests (western blot, immunoblot) would likely pick up the infection. I assume you had a culture done to diagnose your ghsv-1