World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
dr102

Acyclovir just not working for me :(

dr102

I take 400 mg of Acyclovir 2 times a day for suppression and it does NOTHING. While they are mild, I get an outbreak every 3-4 weeks! This has been going on for months. Please someone tell me when Valtrex goes generic, and I switch to that, things will get better. Or maybe things get better as time goes on, and my immune system learns to fight it? Just feeling hopeless right now.

ntdc

Depending on how your compliance is (are you not skipping doses always tkaing at the same time) valtrex may not have any high efficacy for you.

I agree the time you have been infected may also play into it. I would stick with it obviously it is having SOME effect since your outbreak symptoms are less. You can also work with your doctor to make sure he/she thinks you are getting a doseage that is both safe and effective, there are possibly higher doses that can be given, consult a doctor if you think its not working well for you.

How long have you been infected?

JBnATL

Try Lysine

Many people claim Lysine helps them prevent out breaks. Look to the right and click on "What is Lysine" to learn more.

Good luck!

JB

dr102
Depending on how your compliance is (are you not skipping doses always tkaing at the same time) valtrex may not have any high efficacy for you.

I agree the time you have been infected may also play into it. I would stick with it obviously it is having SOME effect since your outbreak symptoms are less. You can also work with your doctor to make sure he/she thinks you are getting a doseage that is both safe and effective, there are possibly higher doses that can be given, consult a doctor if you think its not working well for you.

How long have you been infected?

I have been infected for about 8 months. My compliance with the medication is near perfect- never a missed dose, although sometimes the doses aren't at exactly the same time every day, but they are within a reasonable 1-2 hour window, which should be fine, I think?

regret

when you first get the virus the first year is the toughest..you may have to increase your dosage..ask your dr..valtrex i feel is some what stronger, but regardless of what you take taking suppressive medications does not mean you will go outbreak free..it means it is less severe... i quit taking medications after a year and use it only if i have an outbreak which has been few... after a year... aclyivor is what i switched to after using valtrex for about 6 mo..

inspired83

First year was the worst for me. I've had hsv2 for 2 years now. I only take acyclovir as needed. Stick with it. Like ntdc said, it is doing some help. Find out what triggers you: food, stress, menstrual cycle (not sure if you are female or male, sorry).