World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
BEAUTIFULLYDAMAGEDMAMA

Positive for hsv-1 and never a cold sore?

BEAUTIFULLYDAMAGEDMAMA

My results showed up on positive for HSV-1 with 3.10 and HSV-2 with 1.17. I have never had a cold sore out break. Is it possible to have the virus and never have an outbreak? My Mother gets cold sores, but neither my Brother or Father have had any out breaks. Also my doctor relunctantly wrote me script for acyclovir for daily suppression. She told me that I didnt need it since my HSV-2 which is Gential was really low, but I insisted since I want to protect my current partner.

TinyCHILD

There are many of us that have the virus but never in there life time had an OB, and we are refer as CARRIERS. but still have the ability to spread just like everyone who as it.

ntdc

Your HSV-2 is possibly a false positive unless you have actually had symptoms. I would get retested using HSV-2 biokit , or western blot test.

yes it is possible not to have had an outbreak

BEAUTIFULLYDAMAGEDMAMA

I'm guessing that my hsv-2 is a low number due to testing a month after my encounter. I have only had one outbreak with only one bump and have been itchy. I wish it was a false positive, but I have had two of the symptoms.

jericho
I'm guessing that my hsv-2 is a low number due to testing a month after my encounter. I have only had one outbreak with only one bump and have been itchy. I wish it was a false positive, but I have had two of the symptoms.

You might be right, but the only way you'll know for sure is to get a test result that is above the low positive range prior to 3 months past your last encounter, or to wait 3 months and retest, or to swab any future sores.

Another possibility is that you have genital HSV-1, and your HSV-2 result is a false positive.