World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
psychosis

Wow, is that what has been going on?!

psychosis

I have been completely miserable the past three months, april 28th to be exact. I was having some serious vulvar problems (constant burning and pain in the labia minora) and jerked around by a bunch of doctors (no insurance). I was diagnosed with 3 different bladder infections in only a month and a halfs time and also trich . . this was all mind boggling to me because I am extremely clean and faithful to my boyfriend of 3 years. I've been on 6 rounds of antibiotics and my system is just all messed up. Having horrible stomach pains and sharp nerve pains.

I went to a free clinic to get tested for STD's, in the beginning, and they said everything tested negative. I was still having increasing pain with only 4 days relief between flare ups and no answers. Finally when I talked to an oby gyn that was visiting my free clinic was the first time herpes was mentioned. Apparently that certain test never came back from the lab. This place was completely unreliable because they told me I did not have an STD and didn't even run all the tests! Anyhow this doctor put me on acyclovir which I immediately started taking. About three days into the medication I was still in an extreme amount of pain and went to the emergency room where I was given elavil for nerve damage. The elavil or the acyclovir or the combination must of kicked in the next day because I have felt so much better since then.

I went for a second opinion today at an oby gyn and paid $570 for an exam and herpes culture and blood test to find out for sure. I'll probably get the test results within a week but he was almost 100% my symptoms are that of herpes. I don't know what kind of herpes. Unlike others I am just relieved to finally have some sort of diagnosis and not cancer or something really horrible that causes constant pain. I feel like it is rediculous that it took so long for a diagnosis for something like this because I have had uteran ultra sounds and many doctors poking around at me down there it has been extremely taxing and uncomfortable. Easily the worst 3 months of my entire life.

Emotionally, I have been up and down. My mood constantly changes throughout the day because I have been in a relationship for 3 years with my boyfriend who has never shown any symptoms of the virus but he has been with alot of women and never tested for STD's. He feels terrible because I have been having panic attacks and losing my hair over the pain from this and been to multiple doctors, most of which could care less about me. He is going to go get tested on friday.

My name is heather and I am 21 years old, and I'm happy to join this community. I feel like I'm coping with the diagnosis pretty well because I have been expecting terrible things like cancer or interstitial cystitis, endometriosis, and etc.

It feels good to rant...

Butterfly of the Moment

Hi Heather I'm 23 years old.....you're very strong to be having such horrible symptoms and yet take the news of a possible diagnosis of herpes...i was a wreak at first and am still a little sad on most days...but I try very hard to not be irrational...always take your vitamins and eat healthy, and work out and it should boost your immune system. I'm glad your boyfriend is manning up and getting tested himself...you may need to support eachother at first but hopefully you'll come to live life normally as you once did before...

psychosis

I've got a lot of research to do. I'm not sure what kind of vitamins to take, yet. I was working out pretty regularily before all this happened because I was trying to lose weight. I'm 5'9 and used to weigh over 300lbs. I've gotten down to 240 and my eating is pretty much under control, at least calorie and beverage-wise. I've got a nagging sweet tooth and hate veggies! I don't know if that will ever change along with my smoking cigarettes. Its so hard to make all of these changes.

I do get depressed on a daily basis, but only because of the nerve pain. I really hope that over time the pain will subside . . . I've come here to hopefully find a way to cope with it.

Butterfly of the Moment

I really hope that they find out what is going in with your body...i'm sure it's terrible to be in a state of not knowing what's wrong and not having any relief...just keep strong. I don't have any health insurance right now at the moment either so i can't imagine racking up that many medical bills.

gotitsowhat

Sounds all too familiar

When I suspected I had herpes, I had to go to SIX doctors at Kaiser before I was diagnosed. Later, the doctor who diagnosed me told me that Kaiser has an unofficial policy of avoiding a herpes diagnosis. Lots of doctors and clinics have this policy, officially or unofficially. They just do not like to diagnose herpes because the effects of the social stigma are so strong that they negate any medical benefits of the diagnosis for most people who have herpes (since most people who have hsv do not have any symptoms or have very mild ones). So they avoid it. At one point during the time I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me, one of the gynecologists actually gave me a cancer biopsy just so she could call me back and say, "Good news! You don't have cancer!" I knew it was unlikely that I had vaginal cancer and, in fact, she had told me there was almost no chance I had it I asked her why she wanted to do the biopsy and she said, "It's the only test you haven't had." That was not true since I had not had a test for herpes. All of the doctors kept saying that I did not have herpes so there was no point in doing the test--when I asked them, "How can you be sure I don't have it if you don't do the test?" they said, "Because you don't have herpes."

I assumed they knew what they were talking about and that they would not lie to me. NOT!!!

To learn more about this, read my post Doctor Dictionary (you'll have to search for it, I think it's under Personal Experiences), all about all of the various ways doctors avoid giving a herpes diagnosis.

Also, it's typical for doctors or nurses to tell you that you could have something else that is not herpes while you are awaiting test results. That way, they think, you will not worry about it as much.

psychosis

Wow brainy blonde that is nuts. I will check out your doctor dictionary post.

The two gynos that I've seen were pretty sure I had herpes. At the free clinic, somehow my bloodtest was lost. I know it does not take 2 months to get the results back and even the visiting obgyn was curious as to what happened to it. But, they have also lost urine cultures..I don't even know if they got the results for my HIV test back yet.

It is really the only place that I can goto, though. I have another appointment on sept 15 and I don't see myself getting into another place w/o paying a bunch of money which I don't have. I don't have a credit card or anything there is no way any one else will see me.

butterfly - It was a lot harder about a month ago. I was literally weeping everyday because I had no idea what was going on and doctors were telling me that I am just fine. I was very angry and I still am although I have had some relief since starting on acyclovir, elavil, and finally my last antibiotic flagyl. I take acyclovir everyday now but I still have sharp pains and a problem with recurring yeast infections.

Brookie

I'm with all of you as it took over 3 MONTHS for me to be diagnosed and only because I asked to be tested for it at a local clinic. And they say you can have it and not ever know it - BULLSHIT! All the pain and everything I went through (and all of you) was just awful. One doctor, OBGYN, told me Herpes don't burn and that I did not have "classic" sings of the disease. I think he needs to get just a tad bit more educated in his field! Hang in there.