World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
HSVcurious

Possible deadly form of HSV

HSVcurious

I came across this article from Science Daily,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080928210041.htm

Talks about a deadly and more verocious type of HSV, this needs to be brought to the attention of the medical community. A more serious effort is needed from them to save the sport from HSV infections. I think its about time more resources are put in to find a cure to eradicate this virus.

Searchingforacure

Wake Up Call

This is a wake up call to all people who think herpes is just a skin condition!:mad:

HSVcurious

The article also does not seem to make much sense, isnt Herpes Gladiorium the same as cold sores or caused by HSV-1. So if there is a deadly form it should be not only among sumo wrestlers but in the general public as well. I havent heard of many people dying because of HSV. This report could be misleading, the sumo wrestlers may have died because they could be immuno-compredmised. Anyhow only future research should tell what really is going on.

But I am dissapointed with the medical community, they had the technology to push for a vaccine or possibly a cure back in 2005, and until now all we hear is delays because of funding issues.

HSVcurious

Okay well after further research, there are actually 2 strains for the HSV-1 virus. The same story was caried out in an Austalian newspaper as well.

http://news.theage.com.au/world/virulent-herpes-hits-sumo-wrestlers-20080929-4pwf.html

Does anyone know if we are immune to it if we are already infected with the other strains such as HSV-1(cold-sore) or HSV-2(genital herpes)?

ntdc

HSV-1 is a type not a strain. If you have pre-existing HSV-1 infection it is unlikely you can infected again with HSV-1. The reason these guys died (likely) is that htey had very severe infections (see the picture). This kind of thing can happen in people with eczecma too. I would not worry too much about this the author is guilty of poor writing thats about it.

HSVcurious

Well they did a study and found 2 strains, the BGKL seems to be more virulent. Well further studies will be required to confirm this.

So far I have not been hearing of deaths from HSV, so thats probably the good news.

aliveandok

I noticed a few other virulent cases in the press.

What seems to happen is HSV 1 and Staph come out together completely overwhelming the patient. Here is a case in England. (pretty similar pictures)

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=529420

There needs to be better research and SOMETHING besides acyclovir!! There is a new strain that is resistant (see study below).

Abstract

Background

Acyclovir-resistant herpes simplex viruses (HSV) are commonly recovered from immunocompromised individuals who exhibit chronic and/or disseminated herpetic lesions.

Objectives and study design

The virulence and response to topical acyclovir therapy were evaluated in a mouse model of zosteriform cutaneous HSV infection using two HSV-1 isolates from the same immunocompromised patient (one susceptible and one resistant to acyclovir).

Results

The acyclovir-resistant virus, with a Thr63Ile change in the ATP-binding site of the thymidine kinase gene, produced almost as many skin lesions as the wild-type susceptible virus. As expected from in vitro susceptibility data, the herpetic lesions of the mice infected with the drug-resistant virus did not respond to topical acyclovir therapy.

Conclusions

Some thymidine kinase HSV mutants associated with drug resistance may retain their pathogenicity at least in the mouse model described in this study.

ntdc
I noticed a few other virulent cases in the press.

What seems to happen is HSV 1 and Staph come out together completely overwhelming the patient. Here is a case in England. (pretty similar pictures)

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=529420

Note in the text the patient had eczema. Herpes infection of eczema can have serious complications. This is well known. Poor guy

There needs to be better research and SOMETHING besides acyclovir!! There is a new strain that is resistant (see study below).

This is not new resistant strains have been noted since the introduction of acyclovir in the 1980s. In a recent study it was found that < 1% of strains showed resistance. There are several drugs which can be used in the case of resistance including cidofovir (topical) and foscarnet ( IV ) , though these are generally not first-line drugs because of toxicity. Hopefully the new class of HPI drugs will pan out so that resistant strains can be treated with drugs that have a better safety profile.