World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
HSVcurious

Vaccine from Xenova/GSK

HSVcurious

I came across this from the WHO site:

http://www.who.int/vaccine_research/diseases/soa_std/en/index3.html

A novel, live attenuated HSV-2 candidate vaccine has been developed by Xenova/GSK using a replication-impaired virus mutant that lack the gene of the essential glycoprotein gH (ICP8 gene mutation) as a disabled infectious single cycle (DISC) virus vaccine. The vaccine was tested in Phase II trials in the USA as a therapeutic vaccine in HSV-2 seropositive symptomatic patients. It was well tolerated and induced neutralizing antibodies and CTL in 83% of the vaccinees, but no difference in time to recurrence and no difference in virus shedding were observed as compared with controls. The development of the DISC vaccine has been refocused towards its use as a prophylactic vaccine.

Whats up with this vaccine? Has it been shelved or are there works to bring it into phase 3?

ihaveherpes1and2

If im not mistaken, this vaccine is still undergoing some research, i think it will be release soon. But it only works for gals and does nothing for guys.

HSVcurious

This vaccine is different then the Herpevac/Simplirix the one you mentioned in your post. Apparently there is no news about this vaccine except in the WHO website, I am assuming it has been shelved for some reason.