World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ihaveherpes1and2

Good Read

ihaveherpes1and2

HI fellow Herpes-Haters,

Hi, i was browsing through the net and i came across this article, this article discusses 2 innovative approach scientist are researching to get rid of viruses (Herpes being 1 of them). Bavituximab is one of the research discussed. The other research is also very interesting and might go into clinical trial next year(they are applying for permission to begin clinical trials of the antibody). Interesting read, this.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327200.100-how-to-cure-diseases-before-they-have-even-evolved.html

redyellowpurpleblue

HI fellow Herpes-Haters,

Hi, i was browsing through the net and i came across this article, this article discusses 2 innovative approach scientist are researching to get rid of viruses (Herpes being 1 of them). Bavituximab is one of the research discussed. The other research is also very interesting and might go into clinical trial next year(they are applying for permission to begin clinical trials of the antibody). Interesting read, this.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327200.100-how-to-cure-diseases-before-they-have-even-evolved.html

is it a cure? i really hope they go into clinical trials soon and it works. hopefully the swine flu outbreak will push this. how long do clinical trials take and all that?

beautifulandbrainy

trials

HI fellow Herpes-Haters,

In this article I saw something about FGI-101 but not much about Bavituximab. Any idea if either will be tested on herpes soon? Herpes wasn't mentioned in this article but the maker of the drug, functional genetics inc. did mention submitting an IND application to the FDA in 2010. Anybody have a clue what that means?

ntdc

FG101 has shown activity against herpes

http://www.functional-genetics.com/sections/Product-Pipeline/FGI-101.html

IND means they file paperwork stating their intent to do testing or trials on the drug. If the FDA approves it the company can begin pre-clinical research and eventually clinical trials. These processes take ten years or more.

redyellowpurpleblue

FG101 has shown activity against herpes

http://www.functional-genetics.com/sections/Product-Pipeline/FGI-101.html

IND means they file paperwork stating their intent to do testing or trials on the drug. If the FDA approves it the company can begin pre-clinical research and eventually clinical trials. These processes take ten years or more.

ok slightly off topic. is hpv a virus? does it kill that?

do they have funding?

Searchingforacure
ok slightly off topic. is hpv a virus? does it kill that?

do they have funding?

Yes HPV is a Virus. It is the Human Papalloma Virus. That is the virus that causes gential warts and cervical cancer.

Do they have funding?? I believe so, or Guardisil would not have been invented. Guardisil is the vaccine that was created to prevent from contracting certain strains of the HPV virus.

redyellowpurpleblue

Yes HPV is a Virus. It is the Human Papalloma Virus. That is the virus that causes gential warts and cervical cancer.

Do they have funding?? I believe so, or Guardisil would not have been invented. Guardisil is the vaccine that was created to prevent from contracting certain strains of the HPV virus.

no i mean does this herpes killer have funding? and will the same thing kill hpv (dont have hpv just curious)

ihaveherpes1and2

From what i understand, this article is about innovative host-targeted antiviral therapy. 1 of the method is to target the proteins in the human body that are vital for the virus to reproduce. According to the scientist, this would work against a variety of viruses, Herpes, HIV and HPV included. Another method is a drug called Bavituximab which have been discussed in this forum. Both of these drugs have the capability to target several viruses and reduces the chances of the virus mutating.

No idea when Bavituximab will be tested on Herpes, but they are already being tested for Hep C and HIV co-infection. Prosetta Bioconformatics hopes to begin negotiating partnerships with big pharmaceutical companies later this year while Functional Genetics plans to apply for permission to begin clinical trials of the antibody next year.

RedYellow, in theory these drugs should work against HPV as well. If im not mistaken HPV is dangerous, yes because they can cause a variety of cancers (cervical, throat, penis, anus etc) but unlike Herpes, they dont stay with the host forever because usually a healthy immune system can get rid of them, although im not sure how long it would take to get rid of them.

BrainyandBeautiful, i think you missed the 2nd and third page of the article.

Looks like all these super virus are pushing the scientists to look for better ways to deal with viruses and 1 of these research might translate to a cure/vaccine for Herpes.

redyellowpurpleblue

im confused. its a cure or a treatment?

ihaveherpes1and2

What i dont understand is, why dont the government have an elite group of scientist working for them and doing research of their own ? you know, like in the movies :). Dont the government understand that viruses are a real threat to us humankind ? like the H1N1 case, rumours have it that there will be a second wave of attack from this virus only this time they would have mutated into a different deadlier strain like the Spanish Flu.

I know the government have elite scientists working for them producing super weapons and all, but i think medical research is wayyy more important than producing nuclear weapons in my opinion, naive as they might sound.

ihaveherpes1and2
im confused. its a cure or a treatment?

No one knows for sure yet. But Dr. Philip Thorpe, lead researcher of the Bavituximab theorize that Bavituximab might be able to deplete the pool of virus during the active phase of infection and if the latent pool of virus can not be replenished then it will die out. Thus equating to a cure.

im afraid we will only know the answer when they commence clinical trials for both drugs.

HITBYHSV

There are 3 disease n this planet that are causing concerns to government health care systems:

1. Diabetic - a real killer in our part of world as it is a life style disease; - as such stem cell research has been enabled by Obama and US10 billion has been set free for research a cure herefor is ready in 6 years they say.

2. Herpes - 3 billion infected world wide - but no threat to health (mortally) so it seems as if funding is difficult to move.

3. HIV - around 100 million infected - mostly in Africa and Asia - as such not high on governments priority lists.

Summit: Anti-viral research is not important to governments as its either "dumb" people that cant look after themselves that gets hit and they can eat tablets - or people in the 3rd world that cant afford to pay for treatments anyway.......

The truth sucks...............

Cure Coming Soon
No one knows for sure yet. But Dr. Philip Thorpe, lead researcher of the Bavituximab theorize that Bavituximab might be able to deplete the pool of virus during the active phase of infection and if the latent pool of virus can not be replenished then it will die out. Thus equating to a cure.

im afraid we will only know the answer when they commence clinical trials for both drugs.

Earlier I emailed Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, Inc. regarding their Bavituximab research. I asked if they plan to research HSV with Bavituximab.

beautifulandbrainy
Earlier I emailed Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, Inc. regarding their Bavituximab research. I asked if they plan to research HSV with Bavituximab.

I called functional genetics inc. this morning and spoke to someone who was extremely rude. She stated that functional genetics did not run clinical trials but their affiliates did. She kept asking me why I was calling and when I explained, she said that they were not and would not be testing FG-101 on herpes. When I asked her about the IND that they are submitting in 2010 she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. I will try emailing as well so maybe I will get a better and more intelligent response from FGI. Has anyone else tried to contact them?

Cure-Please post when you hear something about Bavituximab from Peregrine.

ihaveherpes1and2

Beautiful, she prolly thought ur some spy from some rival lab, forget about her, all this research brings us hope, its too bad you had to run into someone so rude. Hopefully your email will brings better response.

I dont think they will test on Herpes anytime soon tho.

i have taken the initiative to email Prosetta Bioconformatics, i asked them whether would they be testing on Herpes, hopefully they will post a positive and encouraging reply. Will post an update.

ihaveherpes1and2

A Reply from the good Doctor

Hi all,

Dr. Lingappa from Prosetta was kind enough to reply to my email, im afraid even his team of researcher could not avoid the funding obstabcle. This is wht he wrote :-

"Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your kind words. I am very aware of the suffering of you and so many others. The problem is quite vexing: current drug development funding sources (both government and pharma) are so conservative that they are afraid to take a chance with any thing new — but without something new, how can they possibly hope to solve a problem that has been insolvable by old approaches?

We have found small molecules that are excellent drug development candidates, that are extremely active against the herpes viruses, and appear strikingly non-toxic. What we need are the funds to advance our drugs through the remaining preclinical hurdles and then into human clinical trials. My guess is that it would cost US$ 20M to complete all of this through phase II, at which point it would be very easy to get a large pharma company to complete the phase III human trial. We have even offered to make our drugs available to the poor at no profit, if we could find some foundation or wealthy individual to take the risk and fund the completion of the drug development program. So far, no success, but we have not given up. If you have any leads on organizations or individuals who would be willing to consider our proposal, please do not hesitate to contact me, or to refer them to me.

Best regards,

Vishu

Vishwanath R. Lingappa, M.D., Ph.D.

Chief Technology Officer and CoCEO

Prosetta Bioconformatics, Inc.

670 5th St

San Francisco 94107

phone: 415 346-8866

fax: 415 908-3976

email: vlingappa@prosetta.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail and any attachments contain information from

Prosetta Bioconformatics, Inc., and are

intended solely for the use of the named recipient or

recipients. This e-mail may contain privileged

communications or work product. Any

dissemination of this e-mail by anyone other than an

intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not a

named recipient, you are prohibited from any further

viewing of the e-mail or any attachments or from making any

use of the e-mail or attachments. If you believe you have

received this e-mail in error, notify the sender

immediately and permanently delete the e-mail, any

attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or

storage media and destroy any printouts of the e-mail or

attachments. "

His reply made me kinda sad ... i dont know what to reply. Anyone wana write a reply to the good doctor ? i dont know if im even allowed to post this, the last part of the mail said something about CONFIDENTIALITY

vtamnl

It states clearly that you're not supposed to allow anyone else to see it...

oopps.... i say you wait a day or two more.. and then delete it... just so you won't get in any kind of trouble. Thanks for posting it though :)

Hi all,

Dr. Lingappa from Prosetta was kind enough to reply to my email, im afraid even his team of researcher could not avoid the funding obstabcle. This is wht he wrote :-

"Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your kind words. I am very aware of the suffering of you and so many others. The problem is quite vexing: current drug development funding sources (both government and pharma) are so conservative that they are afraid to take a chance with any thing new — but without something new, how can they possibly hope to solve a problem that has been insolvable by old approaches?

We have found small molecules that are excellent drug development candidates, that are extremely active against the herpes viruses, and appear strikingly non-toxic. What we need are the funds to advance our drugs through the remaining preclinical hurdles and then into human clinical trials. My guess is that it would cost US$ 20M to complete all of this through phase II, at which point it would be very easy to get a large pharma company to complete the phase III human trial. We have even offered to make our drugs available to the poor at no profit, if we could find some foundation or wealthy individual to take the risk and fund the completion of the drug development program. So far, no success, but we have not given up. If you have any leads on organizations or individuals who would be willing to consider our proposal, please do not hesitate to contact me, or to refer them to me.

Best regards,

Vishu

Vishwanath R. Lingappa, M.D., Ph.D.

Chief Technology Officer and CoCEO

Prosetta Bioconformatics, Inc.

670 5th St

San Francisco 94107

phone: 415 346-8866

fax: 415 908-3976

email: vlingappa@prosetta.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail and any attachments contain information from

Prosetta Bioconformatics, Inc., and are

intended solely for the use of the named recipient or

recipients. This e-mail may contain privileged

communications or work product. Any

dissemination of this e-mail by anyone other than an

intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not a

named recipient, you are prohibited from any further

viewing of the e-mail or any attachments or from making any

use of the e-mail or attachments. If you believe you have

received this e-mail in error, notify the sender

immediately and permanently delete the e-mail, any

attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or

storage media and destroy any printouts of the e-mail or

attachments. "

His reply made me kinda sad ... i dont know what to reply. Anyone wana write a reply to the good doctor ? i dont know if im even allowed to post this, the last part of the mail said something about CONFIDENTIALITY

ihaveherpes1and2

No worries, i asked for his permission already, he replied

" Yes, by all means, please feel free to post my reply.

Best regards,

Vishu "

beautifulandbrainy

Thanks

Thanks for sharing 1 and 2! I agree its sad news. I feel like we could have a cure so quickly if the funds were only available. I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel so powerless. :(

redyellowpurpleblue

Thanks for sharing 1 and 2! I agree its sad news. I feel like we could have a cure so quickly if the funds were only available. I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel so powerless. :(

me 2!!!!!! so powerless!!!!!! so are we just waiting till the recession is over and then even hoping then aswell?

so medical science is at a complete standstill? its great they offer for the poor at no profit aswell i can't believe they aren't taking it up!

powerless is exactly the word.

bella303

Grassroots Movements Give People Power

This is why raising money for research is extremely important. Unfortunately, the masses don't agree with pooling our resources together whether it be to help establish a non-profit organization such as PFG or raising the necessary amount of money to help the researchers along.

We will never see a cure or a non-gender specific vaccine that is 100% effective because the HSV community does not feel the urgency to do something about this disease.

The masses have been waiting around for decades of a cure. The masses have been waiting for the government or private sector to help. The mases don't realize we must help ourselves in order for mainstream to take this disease seriously.

This is why we all feel helpless.

HSVcurious

Is there a way that we can ask Mr.Lingappa to appeal for funds from Bill & Melinda Gates foundation, if we can put across that someone infected with herpes will increase his risk of aqcuiring HIV based on the most recent research, and for a fact that they are willing to offer the drug for no profit to the poor. Perhaps that can strike a chord for Bill and he might decide to give this drug a chance.

ihaveherpes1and2

"if we can put across that someone infected with herpes will increase his risk of aqcuiring HIV based on the most recent research"

Rather than focusing on Herpes, I think telling Bill that this is a broad spectrum antiviral research, would sound better. You know how low Herpes is in the medical community priority list.

HSVcurious

Thats an even better idea, most of the HSV funding given that I know of is because of the anti-viral approach which is linked to HIV. And surely this study does qualify for an anti-viral drug, basically we need to create the awareness its all about how we market it to the big guns. I think anti-viral will be an excellent approach.

beautifulandbrainy

working together

Right on Bella! That's why I joined PFG. But I still feel like I am not doing enough. But hey, something is better than nothing right? We are disorganized and disjointed and the medical community has no reason to take us seriously. I think we really need to come together and network. We need to create a list of people to contact pharma companies, media outlets, celebrities, millionaires, and the research labs. If we all work on a different task and approach it from a different angle something will eventually have to work! How many thousands of members are on here? If each one just contributed just $10 that would be tens of thousands!