World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
takemetotheriot

So I have it for sure. Type 1. Genital. Questions-

takemetotheriot

I'm pretty bummed but I'm trying not to let it get me too down. I posted here before when the doctor first told me he thought it might be herpes, but by the time I got my results I didn't really think I had it- so it was an unhappy surprise.

My boyfriend and I are assuming he gave it to me from his mouth, although he said he hasn't had a cold sore in years (I also didn't know he'd ever had them). Oh well though, you know? Life goes on and I can't change this in the slightest.

I was wondering what the outbreaks are like for anyone on here with GHSV-1. How often do you get them? My first one hurt to pee and the sores were difficult to see and on my urethra so peeing/wiping hurt. My doctor said that it's possible I could never have another outbreak.

Another thing: she said there isn't evidence to support me being able to give someone else HSV1 from my vagina. She said, theoretically it's possible, but HSV1 on the genitals isn't common to the extent that she's sure it can happen. Do you have experience with this?

Thank you.

TinyCHILD

try using daily med for a few months because the first few months a hard. then after that it will die down... sorry that all i have to say for now.. i'll give ya more input later...

Welcome to the site and i know that you will find lots of answer from different members here, but also realize that ::It only options, different method work on different people. we are not created equal::

breckgirl

Take heart that I have had HSV-1 on the vajaja for 22 years and have had no recurrance. I was married for 11 years and have been in several relationships and not (to my knowledge) passed it on to anyone else. I read this thing on Herpes.com that said because of "site of preference" your outbreaks "may" (I hate that word) be less frequent. It is nice to know that a doctor out there has said that the transferrance rate of HSV-1 from gentital to genital is possible but unlikely. My boyfriend is convinced that he has it and doesn't want to know the statistics. WE are waiting for the results now. Also, if your boyfriend tests positive for HSV-2 YOU DID NOT GIVE IT TO HIM. The virus does not spontaneously switch from type 1 to type 2 just because it is below the waist. Anyway...go to Herpes.com and try to find an article called Good Herpes vs. Bad Herpes or something like that. It was very informative and might make you feel a little better.

takemetotheriot

TinyCHILD - I used a medication for a couple weeks and it went away quickly once we realized what I had. The doctor said I won't need to be on anything regular for GHSV1 unless it becomes more severe and I get more than a couple outbreaks a year. Also- thanks for the welcome.

breckgirl - That's really great to hear. I was afraid a ton of people would reply saying they have ghsv1 and they have really horrible outbreaks several times a year. And yes, I've read a lot about herpes simples virus 1 and I know it can't change types or anything.

One question: how do small children get hsv-1 cold sores on their mouths?

breckgirl

Small children get them because they have been kissed by an adult/(or possibly another child playing post office/doctor or something hahahaha) who is either shedding the virus or they have a healing cold sore on their lip and just didn't know it was herpes and contagious (probably grandma/grandpa or distant cousin who thought "it was just a cold sore"). It is unfortunate, but it happens. When I have a cold sore on my lip, I advise my kids not to kiss me, don't share my drinks, or my towels. Stuff like that. When I had my second child I got a huge cold sore on my lip and he kept head butting me and whenever he would do this (like three times) I would get my husband to wash his head with soap and water so that the baby didn't get anything. Thankfully, he didn't.

ObviouslyConfused

Welcome to the forum! I got diagnosed with GHSV-1 a few months ago, and have been with hubs +/- 8 or so years. My boyfriend that I broke up with before dating hubs had cold sores, and ironically, our town was one of the seemingly endless list that misinforms people about HSV in general (as far as contraction, the fact that cold sores are HSV etc) Hubs was a virgin, and neither of us has cheated so I know I got it previous to our relationship. Not to mention he's STILL negative after all this time while I'm positive, with a recent diagnoses and no previous precautions. I've had one outbreak, and otherwise the only problems I have are semi frequent YI's, itching, etc. Not sure if it's related though, as I have a poor immune system to start with and am constantly sick. I've had 3 children, about to be 4, with no medications before delivery for the GHSV, and no complications whatsoever.

ntdc

HSv-1 causes a lot of problems for me but I am in the extreme minority. Almost half of all new Genital HSV diagnosis now are caused by type I. Most people have few problems and recurrences are rare. It is unlikely you will spread it if you avoid sex during outbreaks and use proper protection. Antiviral therapy can reduce you risk of spreading w/out symptoms but frankly it is thought to be very low anyway

beatrix856

Hi Breckgirl

do you take meds for your HSV? What have you done to help keep the OB's at bay? I had a random blood test 3 years ago and it came back positive for HSV1. at the time i didnt know if it was genital or oral. 1month ago i had my first Ob and it was on my vajaja. so my first ob was mild and didnt take any meds for that. i had another 3 wks later. even milder 2 tiny sores and itchiness in the area. I havnt seen my gyno because scheduling has been difficult. I went to planned parenthood to get the culture so that is why i know it is HSV1.

I hope i have your experience. I here that GHSV1 is milder then hsv2.

In the 22 yrs did you have children? thank you for joining this site. thank you for your help.