World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
That1guy

Whats safe now?

That1guy

So I'm aware i can get handjobs with washing and no cuts...but whats happens when i want sex? I'm asymptomatic HSV2. I have no clue when my break outs are and where i shed from. I know I can't just use a condom.

Are there any devices/strategies for covering the infectious areas? I'm debating using a condom while poking out through boxers and ideas like that.

I have a history of sleeping with friends in open relationships and I can't put them at a risk or simply hope i'm not viral shedding at the moment. I need a to have a barrier of some sort...will a female condom provide the needed protection?

alltheabove

female condoms are effective, but NEVER use them with a male condom. talk with your partners about your situation. education is the best protection. if you get frequent outbreaks you can take medicine such as valtrex, which will also help with not spreading. never have sex on an outbreak and always use condoms for sure.

That1guy

Well im asymptomous...I don't outbreak.

I don't know when i'm safe. They can still get infected with condom or a female condom right?

MsLucy

Realistically, if you're asymptomatic, chances of passing it are slim. Use a condom, inform your partner that there's a SMALL risk (no precaution is 100% All the time), and let them decide. That's about all you can do.

Was23
Realistically, if you're asymptomatic, chances of passing it are slim. ...

How do you know this? The reason I ask is that in a study of shedding, people who had no OB's had just as much asymptomatic shedding as people who had 1 to 6 OB's per year. The take home lesson I got was that asymptomatics are as likely to transmit the virus as someone who has OBs, but avoids having sex during them. But of course they only measured shedding, not transmission, so it's only an inference.

Is there some study that looked at transmission rates in asymptomatics vs symptomatics? (I can't find one, but am very interested in reading it if one exists.)

ntdc
How do you know this? The reason I ask is that in a study of shedding, people who had no OB's had just as much asymptomatic shedding as people who had 1 to 6 OB's per year. The take home lesson I got was that asymptomatics are as likely to transmit the virus as someone who has OBs, but avoids having sex during them. But of course they only measured shedding, not transmission, so it's only an inference.

Is there some study that looked at transmission rates in asymptomatics vs symptomatics? (I can't find one, but am very interested in reading it if one exists.)

Now whatever is that you saw, did it measure % of days virus was detected

or did it measure viral load. This is important. The lower the viral load

the lower possiblity of infection is.

Both may have virus detected 18% of the time, but i'd wager someone

who is truly asymptomatic will have lower viral load at the skin. This is important because there must be sufficient quantity of virons present to cause infection.