World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Herpes Awareness

Ciprofloxacin?

Herpes Awareness

I don't want to get people worked up about this, but does anyone know if ciprofloxacin has been tried as a herpes suppressor? It has mild helicase-inhibiting activity apparently.

Apparently it has been used to try to control chronic polyomavirus infections of the kidney because of this.

Beware that this is a pretty toxic broad spectrum antibiotic (i.e. its principal purpose is to treat bacterial infections), and people can suffer a large range of adverse reactions depending on their makeup. A bunch of people who took it preventatively for an anthrax scare became quite ill and sued Bayer over the side effects and lost.

Shayna

Cipro is Big Guns antibiotic! I was on it when I had my first and only outbreak. I truly believe had I not been on it and in intense sun exposure at the same time, I would have never had an ob.

ntdc

Aside from the side effects long-term use of ciproflaxin is not intended as a first-line antibiotic. long term use can lead to bacterial resistance to cipro which is quite dangerous if you get a serious infection down the line

mods -should this be moved to treatment forum?

Herpes Awareness

yeah, it should probably be in the 'treatment' forum mods, although maybe it's a terrible idea for treatment.

however, I found some research concerning treating polyomaviruses with cipro or other quinolone antibiotics, due to its helicase inhibiting ability, and it seems to 'cross over' to being an antiviral to some extent for this reason.

of course there are issues with long term antibiotic use, and this family of antibiotics in particular. obviously better to go with the BAY or BILS research on HSV-specific helicase primase inhibition, but that research seems permanently underfunded and foundering... they already have effective compounds with low side effect profiles, but they never quite seem to get to human trials or market...

ntdc
yeah, it should probably be in the 'treatment' forum mods, although maybe it's a terrible idea for treatment.

however, I found some research concerning treating polyomaviruses with cipro or other quinolone antibiotics, due to its helicase inhibiting ability, and it seems to 'cross over' to being an antiviral to some extent for this reason.

of course there are issues with long term antibiotic use, and this family of antibiotics in particular. obviously better to go with the BAY or BILS research on HSV-specific helicase primase inhibition, but that research seems permanently underfunded and foundering... they already have effective compounds with low side effect profiles, but they never quite seem to get to human trials or market...

The Astelles drug has completed phase 2 human trials.

I don't know about the Boehringer drug but I had read about 30% of HSV-1 strains showed some resistance to the Bayer drug. Though these drugs may be useful against acyclovir resistant strains I wonder if any drug company would consider them worth major investment when acyclovir resistance is limited to less than 1% of isolated strains.

Shayna

Hi guys!

The thing is, this is neither a treatment, or a cure. Maybe it should be in the chit chat lounge? I don't know that it matters much at this point.

Herpes Awareness
The Astelles drug has completed phase 2 human trials.

I don't know about the Boehringer drug but I had read about 30% of HSV-1 strains showed some resistance to the Bayer drug. Though these drugs may be useful against acyclovir resistant strains I wonder if any drug company would consider them worth major investment when acyclovir resistance is limited to less than 1% of isolated strains.

good to hear about the estelles. i wish we could have a central table of info put up somewhere on all the proposed cures and their progress, apart from mcm's Top Ten list -- i'm too busy with a million and one projects this year to do much.

the bayer people were originally saying their drug treated more resistant strains than acyclovir , in fact, and obviously with far greater efficacy - 4 orders of magnitude greater. they may have been talking about HSV2 and not HSV1 strains, I'm not sure now. depends how much resistance vs the effects of acyclovir, as acyclovir isn't really very effective. further, the researchers also found a single simple mutation rendered the BAY drug far less effective as well, a constant problem for antiviral and antibiotic designers, which means that many pharma cos have almost given up on new antibiotic research due to rapidly emerging resistant strains.

the one exception appears to be the VN-180 drug which supposedly targets more 'essential' proteins in the entire HHV family, and is therefore less likely to go 'out of date' as resistant strains mutate around it. That drug has incredible potential as it now seems EBV could be the primary culprit in causing MS and other auto-immune disorders like lupus.

update: this paper reports resistant HSV-1 strains to a number of HPI compounds, but the mutations are in tiny quantities: http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/dkm182v1

Hi guys!

The thing is, this is neither a treatment, or a cure. Maybe it should be in the chit chat lounge? I don't know that it matters much at this point.

well, neither a treatment nor a cure, just a question based on new research in treating polyomaviruses with quinolone antibiotics. jeez, the ignominy of the chit chat lounge!? don't the preceding notes salvage the topic at least?

Herpes Awareness

anyhow, with further research, I'd recommend against anyone taking any of the quinolones unless absolutely necessary, as a lot of cases of tendonitis and even ruptured Achilles tendons have been found in people taking quinolones, including cipro -- and the docs have no idea what the mechanism causing the damage is. It's far more likely if you're older, but it's not a good side effect for anyone, and not worth the risk.

I have a hunch many docs are no longer prescribing this drug at all in any setting -- the risk of harm is too great, and there are plenty of other antibiotic candidates around.