World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Allec

Anul Herpes, newly diagnosed

Allec

Hi all,

I have been reading through the post since I was diagnosed by visual inspection 2 days ago. I thought what I had was a hemorrhoid, which was hurting so bad I went to the doctor, on visual inspection the doc told me it it was herpes. I was so afraid, and scared in the doctors office, I started crying, but managed up some nerve to ask some basic questions. My doc is a family physician, so I don't believe knew in detail, or for sure some how to answer some of the questions I had. She started me on antiviral meds (Valtrex).

I know it's hard to tell when you got it, but this is my first outbreak ever, I was in a long term relationship for 5 1/2 yrs with my fiance and had two children with him. We broke up 9 months ago, and in that time frame dated a guy for 7 months, untill about a month ago, when I got back with my Fiance. He also had a girlfriend in that time frame.

I started off with a yeast infection, though there wasn't much discharge, it was very itchy and a little bit of burning. Got a pill from the doctor which cleared the itching and burning up, but was then left with bv, which I went back to the doctors and got more meds for, I still have one day left to take the meds.

Could the yeast infection, and bv really have been the beginings of an outbreak, or unrelated?

Those symptoms disappeared, but since 6 days ago, symptoms of itchiness, irritations, and swolleness started in my anul opening. Now I have a small cluster of about 5 to 8 (hard to tell) small open sores, right on my anul opening. Having a bowl movement was horrrible in terms of pain, walking around all day like I had crapped my pants. Just discomfort and in such pain. Also I had my pubic bone hurt, my lymph nodes were swollen size of peas near my thighs/pubic area, and a general feeling of being rundown, sick.

Are these symptoms considered mild or severe?

My questions are? How common is anul herpes, most post I read or on vaginal herpes ( I know its the same, just different location), but why would mine show up there. ( I did have anul sex with the guy I dated). Will I break out in different places, say my vagina during my next outbreak? Also I have been trying to be very careful going to the bathroom, but the anus and vagina are so close, I'm afraid to spread it there.

Also since me and my fiance thought it was just a hemorrhoid we had sex everyday. If he doesn't have it is it a definate he will get it?

I am going for a complete check up blood test for herpes, so not sure what type I have yet. I already know I have oral herpes, had for years. I get sores inside my mouth, never on the outside, and pretty frequent, some outbreaks better then others, but they never really bugged me to much just dealt with it. Not on my tongue, just on my gums by the teeth. But I'm afraid perhaps I could have spread it. Neither my fiance or the guy i was dating had any visable lesions.

kel0329

No one can say if your fiance will/did definitely get it. And, you don't have to have an OB to know if you have it or not. You can go years with herpes and never know it! The virus can just sit in you forever until something triggers it to pop up!

I've read that it's tougher for a female to pass it to a male then a male pass it to a female. Which, in our case, sucks! But, that's the way it goes. I have had 5 OB's in the past 5 months I've had hsv-2 and all of them have been on the vagina and one OB was the vagina and anal area.

You're right about those areas being close. You can probably be very careful when using the bathroom as far as not letting toilet paper touch both areas but in all reality I think one blister can open and the fluid may travel! I don't know for sure. But, you can't control everything.

Also, if your fiance or ex-bf had hsv-1 and possibly went down their while they had a coldsore-they could have passed it that way.

Your fiance should really get checked and not wait for an OB to go to the doctor.

I am sorry you have this and I hope you don't have OB's often! If you do, even if you don't, I hope it doesn't spread!

Good luck!

regret

when first diagnosed it is common to get yeast infections and or BV, it can come on when you get your monthly..also with you being on valtrex that shouldhelp, i would take it daily if you feel your ob's are severe enough...if it causes alot of pain,,then yes that can be severe ..the longer you have it the fewer outbreaks..i statred out on valtrex my first 6 mo and then i switched to acylivor,,now im not on anyhting after a year..and yes i get outbreaks, but nothing that bad..thierpretty mild now..

luckyCat

I feel your pain

Having had outbreaks that occurred in that area I know what youre going through and how painful it can be. Here's what you can do to alleviate it until it heals.

Get plenty of rest and drink LOTS of water. Try to cut down on caffeinated drinks and alcohol for the time being. Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies as well as whole grains like wheat cereal and oatmeal. these will bulk up your stool and make it soft so it will be easier to pass.

For the duration of your outbreak try taking an over the counter stool softener to help ensure easier bowel movements and wipe with disposable wet wipes...this will help cool and soothe the area as well as make it cleaner than dry toilet paper. When having a bowel movement, try not to push but just let your body do its thing naturally. I know it hurts.

Take sitz baths at night. This is done by getting into a tub of warm water that barely covers your legs. The warmth will help calm the inflamed blood vessels in that area and bring down the swelling. And if you need to be seated for long periods of time get a donut (a soft or inflatable pillow that you place in your chair that will take the pressure off the anus)

Lastly, see if you can get a perscription for a cream that has a combo of Lidocaine and Hydrocortisone. It comes with a special applicator so you can apply it to the outside and just inside the anus to help bring down the swelling and kill the pain.

As hard as it sounds try not to stress over it too much as this can often make things worse. Concentrate on just getting through this episode and things will get better as your body develops antibodies.

Things will get better. Good luck.

gotitsowhat

Get a better diagnosis

A visual diagnosis would not be good enough for me. Be sure to get the blood test after enough time has gone by, about three months, and get the kind of blood test that tells what type of herpes you have. And you can get a swab test on the outbreaks at the height of an outbreak to be accurate. Since herpes is a life changing diagnosis, I think it is best to be absolutely sure.

Allec

thank everybody for the responses. I know it's herpes having oral herpes inside the mouth for a very long time, I know how they look, and it really does look quit similar. I am getting the blood work done though.

I still have questions though. Do most women get it on the vagina instead of the anus? Since it is on my anus, is that were I could have gotten the infection, from anal sex?

Also, would you consider my outbreak mild or severe?

my fiance (father to our children), is just being great about it. He said he doesn't care, and if anybodies going to make a big deal about it, it's me, and I'll only have myself to blame. That it's no big deal. He loves me either way, and wants to die with me, so what does it matter if he gets it (that's what he says).

I thank him for his supportivness. I was so deppressed about it that first day, and second even, but that realized that it is to late to do anything about it, so can't really dweal on it, just get knowledgeable about this disease. I'm happy the initial shock as worn off. But I still don't agree that this virus is no big deal, and who cares, like some of the post I've been reading. Ugly, painful, itchy, swollen, pussing lesions on my vagina (in my case my anus), the most private of my body parts, or not all that pleasent at all, and it is a big deal. Screaming in pain from pee getting on the open sores, or having a bowel movement (in my case) and wanting to cry from it, is a big deal Not being able to walk beacuase the pain, and having to take off work because you can't walk, is a big deal. Just because the virus is so common doesn't mean that it's no big deal, hopefully my ob won't be bad or common, but who knows, and I can't imagine having to go through what I'm going through all the time. Maybe it's no big deal for u guys that don't get outbreaks often or that are severe, but what about the people that do, no this isn't a pleasent virus at all. Does the virus effect your personality, your lovingness or kindness, your funniness, who u are, no, you are still just as great as a person u were, and this will still only be one small portion of my life, but when I have an ob, this pretty much takes over my life.

JBnATL

Yes you could have gotten infected from anal sex

Friction is key for the transmission of the virus, and having anal sex could have caused enough friction for you to get infected.

The good news is (well if there is any) that this initial out break will probably be your worst. As you grow older your body will adjust and you will probably notice a decrease in the amount and duration of your outbreaks. And since you already have antibodies for HSV1 this might help as well to keep the outbreaks to a minimum.

Talk to your doctor about going on suppressive meds. When I am dating someone I take 1000 mg of Lysine, and 400mg of Acyclovir to help prevent transmission.

And as someone else mentioned tell your fiance that it is more difficult for men to get it from women than it is for women to get it from men. Through the years I have had plenty of unprotected sex and never passed it along. I have also been on other chat sites where people have said they have been married decades without infecting their partner.

Good luck!

JB

Iunderstand

newly diagnosed and still suffering

thank everybody for the responses. I know it's herpes having oral herpes inside the mouth for a very long time, I know how they look, and it really does look quit similar. I am getting the blood work done though.

I still have questions though. Do most women get it on the vagina instead of the anus? Since it is on my anus, is that were I could have gotten the infection, from anal sex?

Also, would you consider my outbreak mild or severe?

my fiance (father to our children), is just being great about it. He said he doesn't care, and if anybodies going to make a big deal about it, it's me, and I'll only have myself to blame. That it's no big deal. He loves me either way, and wants to die with me, so what does it matter if he gets it (that's what he says).

I thank him for his supportivness. I was so deppressed about it that first day, and second even, but that realized that it is to late to do anything about it, so can't really dweal on it, just get knowledgeable about this disease. I'm happy the initial shock as worn off. But I still don't agree that this virus is no big deal, and who cares, like some of the post I've been reading. Ugly, painful, itchy, swollen, pussing lesions on my vagina (in my case my anus), the most private of my body parts, or not all that pleasent at all, and it is a big deal. Screaming in pain from pee getting on the open sores, or having a bowel movement (in my case) and wanting to cry from it, is a big deal Not being able to walk beacuase the pain, and having to take off work because you can't walk, is a big deal. Just because the virus is so common doesn't mean that it's no big deal, hopefully my ob won't be bad or common, but who knows, and I can't imagine having to go through what I'm going through all the time. Maybe it's no big deal for u guys that don't get outbreaks often or that are severe, but what about the people that do, no this isn't a pleasent virus at all. Does the virus effect your personality, your lovingness or kindness, your funniness, who u are, no, you are still just as great as a person u were, and this will still only be one small portion of my life, but when I have an ob, this pretty much takes over my life.

Hi Everyone-

I have never, ever written on a blog or anything but I felt that I needed to take some time to post here because this thread and website really helped me diagnose my problem.

And particularly, I want to thank Allec. I was already pretty sure I was suffering from anal herpes but then when I read her descriptions and pain above, it was pretty much confirmed. I agree with Allec that it IS a big deal. I'm trying not to get worked up about it psychologically (What am I going to do? Am I a bad person? etc) but physically it is a big deal and has disrupted my past week tremendously. I'll describe my symptoms throughout the week as best I can and hopefully help someone else that might be questioning their diagnosis or just needs to understand that others have gone through their pain.

I started feeling a tingling, almost like what I think a rash would feel like, around my anus on a Tuesday. It didn't change much until Thursday when I had a difficult time falling asleep b/c of the pain around my anus. The next morning, I was with a friend and described the burning and tingling feeling I was feeling. She thought I probably had a or some painful hemorrhoids. Sure enough, I looked down there and it was quite swollen on one end, red and irritated. For the next two days the burning feeling became more severe and started getting knife-like pain there as well. Throughout the weekend, i used suppositories (which didn't make it feel better), some benzocaine (also didn't seem to help much) and those moist, sanitary wipe things which only made it hurt more. On Saturday, and this is important, my left, groin lymph node was very tender and swollen. And I didn't feel very good- like I was fighting off the flu or something. By the time Sunday came around and I had a b.m., the pain was so bad that I cried on the toilet and didn't know how to make it better. I think "passing glass" is a good descriptor. It was awful! I thought to myself "it has to be more than a hemorrhoid, this is way too painful". I called an on-call consulting nurse, who was great, and because my pain was so severe (an 8 out of 10) she thought I might have an anul absess and told me to go to the ER. 5 hours later, the ER said I had 3 hemorrhoids (one thrombosed) and an anul fissure. They gave me IV pain meds which only took a little edge off, prescribed 5% lidocaine ointment and sent me home. It only got worse from there. The pain from applying the lidocaine was so awful that I decided it really wasn't worth it. I tried some 2.5% hydrocortizone cream which didn't hurt to apply but didn't provide any relief from the knife-like stinging. I was getting no relief and didn't see an end in sight.

THEN, I saw a rash. It started on both sides of my anus, about 1/2" from the opening. By the next morning, I felt 4 bumps on my laybia. I was hoping and praying this was some kind of a heat rash or possibly a reaction to the lidocaine. By Monday night, the bumps on my laybia looked fluid-filled and the ones around my anus were just red. I decided to stop eating on Monday morning b/c that was the only relief I could see on the horizon- having NO b.ms. Tuesday, I had an appt with my doctor. He also saw 3 hemorrhoids and a good sized fissure. He prescribed Percocet for the pain, told me to add fiber (Metamusil-type stuff) to my diet daily and to take a stool softener so the narcotic wouldn't make me constipated.

I got home and, 4 hours after taking the Percocet, I had NO relief from the sharp, burning, knife-like pain. I felt hopeless. I couldn't go on like this much longer. That's when I took a GOOD look down there. I spent 30 mins looking, feeling which areas were the most painful, etc. That's when I noticed the most painful areas weren't really around the hemorrhoids and I noticed what I thought were sores IN my anus. I had had small amounts of pussy discharge since Sunday as well. So, sure enought, I went to this website and a couple others and I matched almost every sypmtom of anul herpes.

ok, I know this story is long but I'm hoping this is helping someone, somewhere. So, end of story is that my doctor agrees that I probably do. I say probably b/c doing a swap culture while you're suffering from the symptoms has a 40% chance of coming back a false negative (meaning you might have it but the test says you don't). A better test is a blood test drawn (I think it's at least) 4 weeks after the outbreak. This is a more accurate test so that's my next step. In the mean time, I hate to say it, but I still have fairly severe pain and it's now the following Friday. I have eaten very little for fear that I will have to poop out anything (no matter how soft it is). Advil, believe it or not, seems to provide some relief. Take at least 800mg (same as a prescription dose). And I'm just waiting it out. I'm hoping that by the time I have to have a b.m., some of these sharp pains will go away. I'm tired of walking weird, smelling weird and wincing from pain. Oh, and by the way, the sores in the anus can manifest as fissures too so it actually felt like I had about 6 fissures down there. I broke my arm (ulna) clean through 3 years ago and I think that was less painful.

All of this to say...UGH, I understand and I hope this is helpful. I'm not sure how this works but if you reply to this, I'll hopefully be notified and am happy to answer any questions

dio1979

I've been dealing with ass herpes for years. I have found a couple things that help. Desitin (diaper rash cream) the maximum strength version. It's 40% zinc oxide which helps to keep the area dry and help healing. My ob's are fissures and the excess heat/moisture down there can really exacerbate things, so the zinc oxide definitely helps and it's the only thing I've found the actually relieves the itching as well. Also, warm tub baths with Epsom salts. Just throw a handful of salt in and soak for 10-20 minutes, it really helps.

With regards to having herpes down there I believe the virus can go any where in the boxer shorts region. I'm a straight male and have never had any cause for it to be there. It started about 2 years in. I went from having a pretty typical experience of outbreaks on the shaft of my penis every 3-4 months, each one less severe than the one prior, to chronic anal herpes and prodromal leg pain. The sores themselves have changed over the years. Now, they are fissures and sometimes an actual small sore but they haven't looked like traditional herpes sore for a long time. which makes getting treatment even harder as most doctors don't believe it's herpes. You'd be surprised how little the docs actually know about this virus.

Anyhow, hang in there. Everybody is different and experiences herpes differently. I really believe some new drugs are coming out that will help us all a great deal. Take care.

Iunderstand

Thanks for your response. I'm at my wits end b/c it doesn't seem to be getting any better and it's been 9 days. My anul area feels like an open wound that someone has poured salt on. I am going to try the Disitin- thanks for that tip. I tried the Epson salt bath a few days ago and cried for 30 mins afterwards it was so painful. I'm a straight female and also have no good explanation for this torture. I had an outbreak on my cheek in college, several years ago, which is the only connection I could think of.

movieloverhere

I thought I had a hemmorhoid, too! It wasn't until I got swabbed and my doc told me that she was 99.9% sure it was herpes, that I put 2 and 2 together and realized that it wasn't a hemmorhoid ~ that I had the damn herepes THERE too!! I am sorry, but I had to laugh out loud at the phrase "ass herpes". I think it is the first time I have found any of this funny. Thank you!!