World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
kel0329

FYI-What to eat vs. what not to eat!

kel0329

I was searching around online when I discovered that what we eat has to do with OB's! I had no clue. Yuck. So, I wanted to share this list of what to eat and what not to eat to help prevent OB's.

Foods which can be benefical - High in Lysine and low in Arginine:

• Milk and dairy products (including ice-cream, cheese and yoghurt)
  • Eggs
  • Papaya (pawpaw fruit)
  • Beets (beetroot)
  • Mango, Apricots, Pears, Apples, Figs
  • Avocados
  • Tomatoes
  • Fish, Chicken, Lamb and Beef
  • Brewer’s yeast
  • Baked Beans

Foods which can trigger an outbreak for some people - High in Arginine and low in Lysine:

• Nuts (including peanut butter and other nut products)
  • Chocolate
  • Oats and Oatmeal
  • Caffeine
  • Beer
  • Brown rice
  • Coconut
  • Whole wheat bread
  • Raisins
  • Seeds
  • Gelatin
  • Some multivitamins, protein shakes and body building supplements contain Arginine, which should be avoided

Apparently, the bad foods can trigger the virus and cause OB's. The good foods can prevent OB's. Of course, the 2nd list of foods are more of what I eat. Hope this helps people!

(I found this at http://herpes-answers.org/12/herpes-diet-advice/)

catiesmom

There's also similar information contained in the links on the right hand side - in the Fight Back section.

JBnATL

Foods affect people differently

I seem to have no problems eating the foods you listed as unhelpful. It really depends upon the person.

Good luck!

JB

asdf123

i drink tons of orange juice, and i think it contributes to all the outbreaks ive gotten recently

I heard something somewhere about the acidicity being bad for the sore.

Shayna
i drink tons of orange juice, and i think it contributes to all the outbreaks ive gotten recently

I've read (and experienced) if you squeeze your own orange juice and sip it, it breaks down and is digested without causing too much acid.

Juice from concentrate doesn't digest well and causes a lot of acid. I can't drink the stuff, it gives me indigestion, which I usually never have.

Try some fresh squeezed ;) it's really good stuff.

GntiNh

Hi, I take lysine and vit b, and try to eat a balanced diet. I still eat chocolate and drink tea, so I think it's a case of getting to know your body.

NHguy111

Wow, this was a good read. I just recently got a cold sore (2nd time) and I havent had one in 3 years. Guess what? I had recently started eating Oatmeal, peanuts, gelitan, and some choclate and a ton of caffine. The oatmeal, nuts and gelitan were just new snacks to be healthy. The choclate was rare, I dont really like choclate. Very well could have contributed to the cold sore that I got

aknel

food details

Hi hi everybody, would like to get some more info about food. Somewhere is writen tomato is good, somewhere that tomato is bad. Where is the truth?:} and also about citrus fruits... Generaly eat it but during OB not? Does anybody know more details? Probably it depend on person...But this is higer on arginin, isnt it? And what vegetables you can yeat? it seems to me almost none:} witch i foond are Sprouts, brocoly and potatos?

Misty67

I drove myself mad when I was first diagnosed with HSV trying to figure out what to eat and what not to eat. It truly does depend on the person....I was terrified to eat oatmeal and nuts. Now I eat oatmeal every morning...in fact I eat what I want. I have not found food to be a trigger. Now that is not saying it is not a trigger for some.

I was confused about tomatos as well, read somewhere they were good for you, an other place not so good for you. Now I have read that broccoli and potatos are good for HSV...broccoli is a super food and very good for you in general.

Try keeping a food journal...see what your triggers are.

Good luck!

rosalie

Orange juice isn't acidic (citrus fruits are technically acidic but they cause alkalinity in the body) but it IS high in fructose which is very bad for your body's hormone balance. Could be the trigger. See if other fructose containing foods have a similar effect.

rosalie
Hi hi everybody, would like to get some more info about food. Somewhere is writen tomato is good, somewhere that tomato is bad. Where is the truth?:} and also about citrus fruits... Generaly eat it but during OB not? Does anybody know more details? Probably it depend on person...But this is higer on arginin, isnt it? And what vegetables you can yeat? it seems to me almost none:} witch i foond are Sprouts, brocoly and potatos?

Hi Aknel,

Here's the thing...the diet for herpes isn't much different than what a "normal" healthy diet should be. Start with a base of green leafy vegetables. Try to get 5 cups a day. Add to that your lean protein of choice. If you eat meat, go for grass fed and free range beef, lamb, chicken, turkey and buffalo. If you're veggie, stay away from soy unless it's fermented (miso, tempeh, natto) b/c it's really high in estrogen and can mess up your hormone balance and cause your liver to have to work overtime. I love hemp, pea and rice protein for vegans/vegetarians. Try to get all the colors of the rainbow on your plate each day. Eat fresh, whole, raw foods whenever possible, especially those in season. If you notice a consistent trigger for an outbreak, avoid that one thing. But don't drive yourself crazy trying to "figure it out." You won't get it right b thinking about it, just by going about your day and eating as healthfully as you can, taking note of how you feel after your meals.

debonair399
I seem to have no problems eating the foods you listed as unhelpful. It really depends upon the person.

Good luck!

JB

JBnATL..... what is your secret?

I see you on these forums talking about how you don't ever get outbreaks. Unfortunately, I get multiple outbreaks every month.

Did you get outbreaks when you first got infected and then your immune system gradually learned to defend itself? If so, how long did it take for that to happen?

Or did you never have outbreaks even after initial infection?

shewriteslove77

I had no clue certain foods could trigger my outbreaks. I've ate a lot of chocolate and brown rice lately and I'm curently in the midst of a breakout. Thank you so much for the info. I will keep it in mind for future reference.

NYC10017

Oatmeal seems to be a big trigger for me. I've had genital HSV for about 15 years, with a recurrence of pain every year or two. I've never gotten sores since the first OB. But, I started eating a very hearty/authentic Irish steel-cut oatmeal every morning for the last two weeks and had recurrence. I suspect the oatmeal.

Brookie

I've had the virus going on 5 years now. I try to live life to the fullest not cutting out anything because if I did it would be a constant reminder that I have this damn virus and would always be miserable - eat up!