World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLife77

Is getting GHSV-2 on top of GHSV-1 Possible? Any research? Or Symptoms just changing?

LivingLife77

First 6 months leg pain, butt pain, frequency of urination, mosquito bites on sides of thighs and butt, swollen lymph notes side of thighs, itchy base of penis

Then slept with a new girl. She did the "I'll sit on top of you without a condom and it slid in half way and I quickly reached for and put on a condom."

After this happened..I had all similar symptoms as above--but more mosquito bite/welts on inner thighs and I had my first sore on my penis as well as now I get welts/red dots on my upper chest. Additonally my penis started getting more sore--like if you were to squeeze it and I started getting discharge. I went on Cipro and Z Pack with no effect I believe. I tested negative for Ghon and Clap. It seemed to go away. Now that discharge is back. However, in the 2.5 months since my symptoms changed I have never got another sore on my penis but this discharge and feeling like there is extra after urination continues. Also, this time the nerve pain has continued for over a month straight. Somedays worse, somedays less.

The doc says it was enough time to be exposed but unlikely I caught a brand new virus. Additionally, it could be the same virus changing as there are posts on here about the virus changing locations. I just don't know why I get spots on my chest and now all of a sudden discharge when I didn't have it before..So the question is is it possible to have both? How would I ever know? I mean I have HSV-1 oral not confirmed by tests and believe I had G-HSV1. If I test positive for HSV-1 and 2 I won't know where the 1 is and may never know if I have both in one area. The doc says it doesn't matter as they are both treated the same--however I am concerned I gave myself A LOT MORE PROBLEMS!!!! Any research on this? Or just my symptoms changing?

LivingLife77

Website

What does all this mean on a practical level? Let's look at some examples to find out. Say you have genital HSV-1 and your partner has genital HSV-2. If you have unprotected sex, there is a small but real risk that you will get HSV-2, resulting in more outbreaks and more shedding. "We have documented cases where a person acquires HSV-2 after a prior genital HSV- 1 infection," says Wald. "I don't think it happens often, but it does happen."

On the other hand, it's very unlikely that your partner will get genital HSV- 1 from you. "I've never seen a case of a person acquiring HSV-1 on top of HSV-2," says Wald. "It's possible, but it would be unusual."

http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html

JBnATL

Yes it is possible

I had a cold sore in high school which means I was infected with HSV1. Then when I was 26 I got genital herpes and was tested positive for HSV2.

So it is possible to have both types

Good luck!

JB

ntdc

Hes asking is it possible to have genital hsv-1 and genital hsv-2

LivingLife77

Yes Genital 1 and Genital 2 both in genital area?

Yes Genital 1 and Genital 2 both in genital area? Anyone have that? I mean how would you even know? You would have to have blood tests and show both and then never have an oral legion? I think even finding out would be near impossible. Perhaps better if you do have both to just treat it as "Genital Herpes" and move on.

trying

What were you doing not using a condom, even if only for a second? It seems like hsv weighs very heavily on your day to day, so I'd think you'd be more careful about unprotected sexual contact, for your sake AND for hers.

Do you know that this girl has HSV2, or do you just suspect so because of the change in symptoms? Have you told her she should also get tested now?

LivingLife77

I Did

I put on a condom the first time we had sex. The second time she was kissing me on top of me and I think she sat up and it slid in for a second, then I rolled her over and put the condom on. So 99.99% of the time I used a condom and meant to use a condom. As I said she was on top of me and I didn't know she was grinding down because I was kissing her.

I told her to get tested and she did. Negative for everything and told me she has never had any herpes symptoms in her life. Still in the back of my mind I wonder if her infection was new...I kept talking to her about it and she told me to stop contacting her...still I can't get it out of my mind that my symptoms changed after messing around with her.

talesofagirl

They say that having ghsv-1 offers up 30% protection from acquiring ghsv-2. 30% is less than 100%, so yes you can get 2 on top of 1 genitally.

In terms of treatment, 1 and 2 would be treated similarly. In terms of transmission risk, it is very important to know both what you and your partner have.

For now, I would address the symptoms you have. Months from now, you might want to get re-tested. If you test positive for both, you'll pretty much know you have hsv-2 genitally. It's the hsv-1 you won't know about.

And if you don't have hsv-2, I would make sure your future partners are tested prior to you having sex with them, so you don't go through this again.

talesofagirl

Also, how is it that you think you have hsv-1 both genitally and orally?

LivingLife77

Well

I already had issues described above before this contact. Meaning I believe I contracted HSV-1 genitally last year because I got all my partners tested and only one tested positive for HSV-1 (unsure if genitally). Then when I messed around with this new girl symptoms slightly changed as I described above and almost 3 months later it seems like things are just barely calming down. This just seem more severe now. I don't know if it is because more sun, more stress but it is taking forever for the nerve pain to go away in my right buttocks. I hope it is all the same virus.

I just did a PCR Swab of spot on Chest

PCR swab of butt zit

IGG Type 1 and 2

IGG Immublot

I got doc to run all those tests

and also HIV and Urine Bacterial Culture.

This should give me at least something. Ghon and Clap were negative. I am trying to figure out the urinary deal. When they spun the urine they said it has traces of an infection but they said that happens to people with no issues at all so they are sending for culture. As far as the HSV--if this latest one comes back negative either Famvir has slowed me developing antibodies or I am a true non-converter as it has been a year of hell.