World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Searchingforacure

When Will Herpes Be Taken Seriously?

Searchingforacure

I am sick and tired of people saying herpes is not a big thing. Studies have linked people with herpes are 5 times likely to get HIV. Herpes has also been linked to Alzheimers.

Honestly, I question people who say herpes has changed their life for the better. How can an illness make your life better?!?

Not for anything, people are saying now they eat right and exercise because of herpes. My question to you is YOU needed an lifelong virus to tell you to take care of your body?!?! If you did, that is truly sad in my opinion.

I want to be cured bottom line! Sick of herpes being seen as a big joke!

Guest Seatortuga

I feel ya,searching. I have no room to talk because I have never had anything but mild symptoms.I couldn't imagine how I would feel or what I would do if this was destroying my physically.

My beef with herpes though,is of course the psychological end of the deal,as it is for many. If there wasn't a stupid,malicious stigma surrounding it, I probably wouldn't give a sh*t at all. As far as herpes making me a better person, well, I am guilty of that, because it really did force me to take a looooong look in the mirror and confront my shortcomings,however unrelated to herpes they may be. I was just going blissfully through life until the day I was diagnosed, and since then, I've improved substantially.

I know you are having some major problems since your diagnosis, and I'm sorry.

JBnATL

You must be newly infected

Yours is a typical reaction for someone who just found out they have a disease that has considerable social stigma attached to it. Hopefully you will pass through this anger phase and learn that you can live a normal healthy life.

I have had herpes for many years and it has not stopped me from doing anything that I want, and that includes dating non-h women. I have given the 'talk' many times and have never been rejected.

I have known a few people have told me that herpes has changed their lives for the better. I will not prejudge their former life as 'sad', but if they feel that way then all the better for them.

One good way of looking at the Alzheimer's Herpes link is now maybe more funding will be devoted to finding a cure for herpes.

Good luck!

JB

Searchingforacure
Yours is a typical reaction for someone who just found out they have a disease that has considerable social stigma attached to it. Hopefully you will pass through this anger phase and learn that you can live a normal healthy life.

I have had herpes for many years and it has not stopped me from doing anything that I want, and that includes dating non-h women. I have given the 'talk' many times and have never been rejected.

I have known a few people have told me that herpes has changed their lives for the better. I will not prejudge their former life as 'sad', but if they feel that way then all the better for them.

One good way of looking at the Alzheimer's Herpes link is now maybe more funding will be devoted to finding a cure for herpes.

Good luck!

JB

It is sad that someone needs a lifelong illness to realize that they need to take care of their body.

I will never get over this and far as I am concerned my life is pretty messed up because of this....Nothing normal about herpes...I will never see this as 'normal'

Now18
It is sad that someone needs a lifelong illness to realize that they need to take care of their body.

A lot of people become stronger due to negative events. None of us are perfect, and there's always room for improvement. Maybe some of us don't take care of our bodies, maybe some of us are judgmental, maybe some of us are overly pessimistic and depressed. I take care of my body, but I have low self-confidence when it comes to men. I really think herpes is going to force me to get over that. Change is hard, and a lot of times people do need a big event to give them a wake-up call. Whatever it is, if a negative event causes someone to change for the better, what's wrong with that?

angellady

Herpes really changed how I looked at life. It just reminded me how much WORSE things could be. How something even worse could happen to me, and even though I am not happy I contracted herpes, at least it wasn't something worse and to appreciate what I have now. Even if it's a life filled with herpes.

Kind of a perspective thing. It has made me more positive overall, but I do get upset over things. And it's not always about herpes.

MsLucy
I will never get over this and far as I am concerned my life is pretty messed up because of this....Nothing normal about herpes...I will never see this as 'normal'

Your post reminds me of my wedding. We had been living together for a few years, owned a house, and decided to get married in our back yard, under the rose arbor. We had a large dog, so of course, we did a scrupulous "doggy detail" the morning of the big day. When the big moment arrived, we gathered under the rose arbor and the preacher began the ceremony. I happened to look down and discovered, to my horror, that we'd missed a big pile of dog dirt, only about a foot away from where the preacher's feet were planted! Sooo... I spent the entire ceremony staring at, and angsting over that stupid dog turd. When it was over, I realized that I'd missed the whole beautiful ceremony because I was too busy concentrating on a pile of dog shit. How stupid was that?

Don't let yourself become so focused on life's turds that you miss the whole beautiful ceremony going on all around you every day. Life is too short to waste worrying about shit.

lifesstillgood
Your post reminds me of my wedding. We had been living together for a few years, owned a house, and decided to get married in our back yard, under the rose arbor. We had a large dog, so of course, we did a scrupulous "doggy detail" the morning of the big day. When the big moment arrived, we gathered under the rose arbor and the preacher began the ceremony. I happened to look down and discovered, to my horror, that we'd missed a big pile of dog dirt, only about a foot away from where the preacher's feet were planted! Sooo... I spent the entire ceremony staring at, and angsting over that stupid dog turd. When it was over, I realized that I'd missed the whole beautiful ceremony because I was too busy concentrating on a pile of dog shit. How stupid was that?

Don't let yourself become so focused on life's turds that you miss the whole beautiful ceremony going on all around you every day. Life is too short to waste worrying about shit.

I love it!!

gotitsowhat

Thank, MsLucy

Your story says it all. Thanks for the wisdom and the laugh.

justmyself

A good poker player will tell you it is not the cards you are delt, it is how you play the hand. In my poker game of life, I am not going to fold! Am I happy that I got herpes? Hell no! I'd be a total liar to say I am. I can't change the fact that I have this. But I also have a lot of positive things in my life that herpes can't take away from me EVER! Therefore, I am not going to let herpes take away my happiness from these positive things. Life has its ups and downs, with or without herpes.

E2F83

Doesn't matter to me

I'm still not 100% sure if I have Herpes or not, I went back to the doctor at 3 months and he said doing more blood work isn't going to help, I guess at this point the odds of getting a false positive is just as high as a real positive so there's no point in getting another test.

Anyway, I'm so tired from school and work that I just don't care about herpes anymore. As long as it doesn't affect my career it's OK. It wasn't like I was getting alot of dates before so even if I have it, it doesn't really change the situation. Besides, I joke with my friends at school and we just laugh it off. I mean, there are things much worse in life.

BTW Herpes is only linked to alzheimers if you carry a certain gene. Second, most people are asymptomatic so it's OK. It's like getting chicken pox, we carry it for life. Third, all of my buddies and I have recently opened up and figured out that our biggest problem is not herpes, but being able to ejaculate without using our hands. I thought I was the only one having this problem, it turns out that many guys can't jiz unless they use their hands. It's a big problem!