World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Can you catch Herpes twice?

Travis

My girlfriend and I are both infected by the same strain of HSVII. She gets outbreaks near her butt and I have them on my shaft. If we have sex and my outbreak comes in contact with her vagina, could she start to have outbreaks there too or will it just trigger an outbreak in her usual area?

regret

,but to be on the safe side if your having an ob during that time of wanting sex i would wear a condom just in case?

JBnATL

Yes you can catch herpes twice

You can infect your gf even though she has the virus.

I would abstain from sex while you are having an outbreak. Just use your common sense.

JB

redyellowpurpleblue

so you can have more than one gshv? i thought it made me immune?

sassynstrong

It is possible...

From my understanding, the virus can spread to different locations if contact is made...not highly contagious in that manner but possible. You can even infect yourself in other locations if the you have a cut or abrasion and the active virus is spread to that location for entry into your body. So whether it is yourself or a positive partner, it is possible.

As for the getting of two different strains 1 and 2...it too is possible. If you have a cold sore (1)...someone else has genital herpes (2) and they are active, you have sex it is possible for you to get genital herpes (or vice versa). There was research that showed a possible increase "immunity" from contracting an additional strain if the antibodies were built up in a person's body. If a person has genital herpes and receives oral sex with someone with an active cold sore, the same study showed ... I don't remember all the details, but I believe...that two strains could not reside in the same area together. But I don't believe it was completely conclusive.

Travis

Thanks for all your replies. Sassynstrong, I read that there are different strains of HSV2. We probably have immunity to different variations but it still makes you think twice about dating another positive.

talesofagirl

You cannot be "reinfected" in the same location where you already have it. I have read that having sex with someone who is having an outbreak can cause an outbreak in you, but it cannot "reinfect" you. Also, the virus can spread on its own within its region--you don't need contact with someone else to cause that.

You can have more than one type of herpes. But if you already have type 2 genital, you cannot catch type 1 genital. (It can happen the other way around.) You can get type 1 oral.