World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
doll111

Can strenuous exercise cause outbreaks?

doll111

Ok I am a runner and I have been training for various events over the summer. It seems like every time I go out for a very long run (13-17 miles) I come home from the run with an outbreak.

Here's the weird part. I have had genital herpes for years. I was on Valtres for years, but stopped taking it because I had no symptoms for 2 years. Unfortuantley I quickly passed it on to my finace as soon as I stopped taking it. I then got an outbreak myself in the usual place, but I also got it on the right side of my low back/upper butt area. Very strange! I looked it up and it seems like some other people also get it in that area. Anyway now when I get these outbreaks after a long run it is always in that low back area. I don't notice it until I get in the shower and as soon as the water hits it it burns so badly. I feel like this has to be triggered by the run.

Help! any advice? Experience. Should I go back to the doctor and show them this low back outbreak. I never did go in to show anyone these types of outbreaks.

Thanks!

luckyCat

Hi

I do rigorous exercise on a regular/semi regular basis. Sometimes I'll go cycling for 20 to 40 miles, or swim laps, or go blading. Today I rode 20 miles and then did 20 laps in a pool after.

I dont run and I dont get OBs anywhere other than the vaginal area so Im wondering if maybe your OBs are coming because of chafing or heat buildup in that area?

How often do you go for very long runs? Maybe while your joints can take it, your immune system is having a hard time deal with the added exertion.

Do you take supplements, Lysine or any immunity boosters like vitamin C?

WarriorKing

I work out regular and to exhaustion but it is not a trigger for me. I guess there's a chance that you cross some threshold where your body is weakened but the extensive run, but that is just conjecture.

Inquisitor

Both sunshine exposure and exertion can lead to outbreaks and viral activation.

You may have a weakened immune system which can create even more susceptability. You do take a multivitamin and extra C right? You might also try improving your diet and adding Kombucha and probiotics, and adding 1,500 mg of Lysine daily.

JBnATL

Try Lysine

And also look at Acyclovir, it is much cheaper than Valtrex. Walmart carries acyclovir for $4 for a 90 day prescription.

Good luck!

JB

doll111

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am not currently taking Lysine. I seem to go through phases with vitamins. I have never been very good at remembering. I actually am currently taking Acyclovir instead of Valtrex becuase my insurance wanted me to change.

Looking back this has happened to me 3 times after long runs, but there have been just as many long runs that it has not happened. It really is odd. Who knows, maybe it has something to do with the shorts I chose to wear. I will try to wear a different pair next time and see if anything changes. If it really is a herpes outbreak I can't imagine it will make a difference, but who knows!

LivingLife77

Lysine

Is chicken hog wash. It did absolutely nothing along with other chicken hog wash like red marine algae. Get back on your Valtrex. Sorry to here that you spread it. At least you can go on a run. I can't even go in the sun for 30 min without the virus attacking me and my butt starting to ache. I stay out of the sun.

Joperty

Running

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old post but just wandering if anyone else struggled getting back into running after first ob, I'm not mega fit but have been running at least three miles 3-4 times a week for past few years, during my first ob I couldn't runn too much pain and too tired, for three weeks, but that's all cleared up and I felt pretty much normal again so started running, and it's so hard, I've had breaks before and found it hard to start again but this is different, if I even manage a full three miles I can barely walk afterwards, during first ob I had pain in legs, and I'm wandering if that's related, I ache all over! I was worried I was gonna have an ob again but nothing yet, this has been happening past two weeks, has anyone else had this?! Should I take something for healthy joints?! I feel so frustrated I've not been in pain after a run since I first started!!!

WarriorKing

I think it is unrelated to herpes. Fitness often has to come back slowly. Running is rougher than most other exercises.

Athlete15

I made another post then I found this one & since I have some athletes here I'll ask again. I just had my first outbreak & I'm on acylovir (sp?) and even though my doctor said it's a moderate outbreak I never got sick just itchy & painful. I'm going to do suppressive therapy, I'm taking zinc & lysine. I'm an endurance athlete (3 marathons & 2 100 mike bike rides with a third one planned) I had symptoms after unprotected sex with my current boyfriend (I've only been with 2 guys both commited relationships). He has never had symptoms & although I won't know until I get bloodworm back it seems likely that since this is my first ob I git it from him. My actual question is help about getting back to exercise, I'm terrified that H will really interfere & it's a huge part of my life!! Thanks for any help, support, or ideas!

WarriorKing

It might not effect that part of your life at all. In reality, most people that carry herpes have very minor ongoing symptoms. If you should have symptoms and have a run or bike ride planned vaseline can help as a temporary solution. You might be more likely to have an outbreak when you are drained and exhausted and your immune system is low after a mammoth effort, or it might not come on at all. Also the suppressive medications often keep the whole thing away.