World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
endless2008

Confused about symptoms and test results.

endless2008

I have been in a monogamous relationship for 8 years. Februray I went down south, on my second day (Feb 15), I spent a full day on a beach wearing a new bathing suit trunks. I did swimming in the ocean, sun tanning, and a lot of walking on the beach and in town. That evening when I was taking a shower I felt a stinging sensation on my penis. I looked down and noticed small cuts/sores (like erosions) on my penis shaft. The sores/erosions were just below the glan, ie: on the shaft (I am uncircumcised) and small paper cut like cuts were noticed a little lower on the shaft (halfway down my penis). I have never seen this before. I rubbed some antiseptic gel on my penis. I also put polysporin on. For the next couple of days when I went in the water (bath, pool, ocean) it would burn slightly and at times it would itch (I thought it was the healing sensation). The sores healed immediately, some slight scabbing was seen on the shaft where the skin is thicker - just like a paper cut would heal and not other scabs were seen where seen on the more delicate ski as you approach the glan. Six day later nothing was visible Note: had no other symptoms, blisters and pain.

Note: I had just recovered from a flu over a week ago that was going around. After I had the flu a few days later had slight soreness on the right cervical neck (lympho node) that went a way a few days later. I was also on antibodies (Ciprofloxacin) because for some odd reason I had diarrahea that would just not go away (January 13 to February 11). DR said there was some nasty flus and gastro going around and all this was due to that. Started taking the antibodies on February 11 to Februray 17.

Next day my diarrhea was going away - February 12.

So I dismissed the event as some sort of event related to:

a) new bathing suit reaction - I thought it was weird - never wore the bathing suit again

B) wearing a wet bathing suit all day and doing a lot of walking (this I thought was unlikely for me because I have done this many times in my life and have never seen this)

c)was takling antibodies - reaction or reaction with sun? (I thought likely not)

d)I also had spent the previous day in a river in the water with a whole bunch of people doing boating - did I catch something there? (likely not - nobody did)

e) STD - (likely not - how ??)

Recently, I went down south. On the second day (July 1) I decided to wear a new bathing suit (note this bathing suit is from the same company as the one that I mentioned above that I wore in February, they were bought at the same time/location, style the same, colour different, lining exactly the same). My second day was spent like the first day - in the sun, sun tanning, in the water. On the second day I also did a lot of walking on the beach - also wore the bathing suit all day. Later that evening in the pool I felt a tingle/itch, I looked down a noticed what looked like little erosion like sores, paper cuts on my shaft. Went into the shower and felt a slight stinging but not a lot. The sores / cuts were similar to what I saw in February and in the same area - not sure if exactly spot - but area for sure. I treated the area with ploysporin. The sores / cuts healed the same way as the first event and six days later were gone. Again no other symptoms were present - blisters and pain.

Two weeks later went to the doctor described my events and he said it sounded like genital herpes. Since there were no lesions present he sent me for a blood test (note I am in Canada) the test said: serology: HSV 1 & 2. I had to pay for this test and it was 140$. He also offered me to go on suppressive dosage 500mg VALTREX since I was sexually active with my partner and since my partner never had any symptoms all his life (but was never tested - and I know about being asymptomatic). I took the medication and on the third day I went for blood tests. The test was taken July 16. On July 20 I decided to stop taking the medication, I figured that I wait for the test results. The results came back July 30 and it said I was negative for both HSV1 and HSV2.

I called the lab that perform the tests and they said for HSV testing they use Elisa and Immunoblot. Not sure what method was used for me

So now I am confused about the occurences and the test results.

Could being on 500 mg Valtrex a day for 3 days scew the results?

I should have been able to develop antibodies since my first occurence in February?

I have heard of false results - could these testst have given a false result ie: Elisa and Immunoblot

What do you think of all this, is it herpes, and what should be my next steps.

To summarize the events:

Jan 28 to February 2 - had a bad flu that was going around the house and city

January 13 to February 11 also had diarrhea and was put on Cypro for a week on February 11 - started clearing the next day after antibodies

February 15 - 1st event after being on the beach wearing new bathing suit

July 1 - 2nd event after being on the beach wearing new bathing suit

July 13 - DRs visist - subscribed suppressive

July 16 - blood test

July 30 - results

I have also post this thread on medhelp for an expert opinon.

Thanks for all your help.

JBnATL

Take the western blot blood test

That is the most reliable test out there. And enough time has passed for your body to develop the antibodies that it tests for.

Good luck!

JB

endless2008

I thought the Western blot was the most reliable test? The lab performs Elisa and Immunoblot - I am not sure what they used for mine? How does it compare to Western blot ?

JBnATL

I know little about the tests

However I have read here and other places that the western blot was the best.

Good luck!

JB

ntdc

If you waited 12 weeks between symptoms and test (seems so) results of ELISA and immunoblot are quite conclusive. you most likely do not have herpes and no further testing is needed unless symptoms persist. Did valtrex relive symptoms? If not you def dont have herpes.

endless2008

Then I am confused as to why I had sores on my penis....especially in the same location. Some people say it could have been sea lice..but why would it affect the same location and not other areas in the genital area???..and why would this occur when I was in the sun in 2 different countries..... Kind of suspicios to me..???

By the way I took Valtrex....but I did not have any symptoms at the time...was only suppressive....and I have read people cmplain about burning sesnsation...shooting nerve pains in legs....when taking Valtrex...and that is what I had when i was taking it for a week. I stopped it and those sensations went away.

Could I have had a false negative????

I am not paranoid...I just don't want to pass it to my partner...

jacksprat

I don't think taking Valtrex for 3 days would reduce your antibodies to undetectable levels. I think you're fine, and I personally would take the results to mean I'm negative.