World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
GURLYGURL

worried

GURLYGURL

Hello everyone,

I am new to this. My boyfriend has herpes we just found out. I have been tested and am coming up negative. Im not sure how to feel about this but am a little scared. Does anyone have advice?

JBnATL

Learn as much as you can about the virus

And don't think that just because he has herpes does not automatically mean that you will get it too.

I have dated many non h women and have never passed it along. I have also chatted with several people who have been married decades without passing this along to their spouses.

Use common sense and suppressive meds and you can reduce the chance of submission greatly.

Read all you can about this disease and you will see that it is an almost insignificant disease.

Good luck!

JB

bella303
Hello everyone,

I am new to this. My boyfriend has herpes we just found out. I have been tested and am coming up negative. Im not sure how to feel about this but am a little scared. Does anyone have advice?

In order to make an informed decision

1. Research this disease. Do not look at the photos. Most people do not have symptoms that look like the photos on the internet.

2. Consult with people who share different views -

a. those who have accepted the virus

b. those who have not accepted the virus

c. those who have rejected someone who has the virus

d. those who have accepted being with someone who has the virus.

Get several point of views.

3. Refrain from consulting your primary care doctor as most doctors feel that having this disease is not a big deal.

4. Envision your future without your partner having the disease (if you were to acquire it) as the situations you will encounter (rejection, mockery, etc) can take an emotional toll on you. Remember that relationships are not forever.

5. Gauge your comfort level. If you feel that you have educated yourself enough to make an informed decision, then make the best decision for you. Do not let anyone talk you into staying with your current boyfriend. If you are having second thoughts, then go with your gut feelings. You may not forgive yourself if you catch the virus.

Remember that women have more surface area that can be affected by HSV. We are more prone to catching the virus. Also, remember that if you choose to have children, and women with HSV do procreate, think about how it can possibly affect your newborn, etc. Some women have been through child birth without any issues. And others have not been so positive.

These are things to consider and not to scare you or anyone else. In order to make an informed decision, all sides and situations must be considered.

Remember that it is your body. And you only have one body and one health. Don't feel ashamed or feel that you are being selfish by wanting to protect your body and your health.

Bella303

Butterfly of the Moment

Yes, as long as you do your research and take the necessary precautions with your boyfriend...you have a very slim chance of catching the virus. This virus is only a minor inconvenience to most people but the emotional toll is greater...and only a rare number of women infect their children and is is almost always women who don't know they have the virus or who catch herpes WHILE they are pregnant...so generally it's not a great concern of mine. At the end of the day, it's your choice as to whether your boyfriend proves worthy enough to take the risk.

gotitsowhat

What type?

Hello everyone,

This is a pretty common virus. What type does he have? Most of the north American population has hsv1, usually as cold sores, sometimes as genital herpes. I have had type2GH for 14 years.

Consider that about one in five men have this. And most of them don't know it. And some of them know they have it but are not ethical enough to disclose it before sex. So if you break up with this guy, it's not like you won't find the possibility of catching herpes out there. With this guy, you can take precautions and the chances of you getting it is fairly small. If you remained with him for many years, the odds of your catching it would go up, of course.

But it is a chance, one you'd be taking knowingly. So you do need to consider if he is worth it. Most relationships do not last very long. If you caught it from him, how would you feel about moving on out into the dating world with hsv? How serious are you about this guy?

We always take a chance when we get involved with another human being. The greatest chance we take is having our heart broken, a much more serious condition than herpes. And we take a chance of catching something worse than herpes. We take chances just by being involved. Herpes adds on more thing to consider.