World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
lifeistoshort

new to this

lifeistoshort

i just got diagnosed with hsv2 last week two days after my 22 birthday. im so confused and don't know where to go from here. i've read everything possible to ease this pain. the doctor said it could have been in my system for years and when i got really sick it became active. i need some emotional support please anyone give me great advice and help me make friends through this experience.

JBnATL

Welcome to the club!

Hi, I know this might be hard to hear, but it will get easier. In fact I am at a point in my life where I think nothing of this virus. I live a healthy and full life and have dated many non h women.

If you live in a large city there probably is a herpes support group near you. The one here in Atlanta really helped me out. Also search yahoo groups, there are over 1500 groups with the name 'herpes' in them.

PM me if you want. I am on this site to offer positive support to those who need it.

Good luck!

JB

lifeistoshort

thanks

thank you so much for some of the advice. i live in a small town so there are no support groups. this is the only place i have found comfort in. i just went through shock and was asking a lot of questions. im not going to die from this am i?

FLSingleFemale

You are definitely not going to die from this! You have a skin infection that is going to periodically flare up and is going to require you to be careful in your sexual relations to reduce the chance of spreading it to others.

This is an excellent website which provides good information on managing your herpes and is a great place to ask any and all question or just plain vent.

WarriorKing

I have had this going on 31 years now. It is just going to be like the poster above said. You will be modifying your sexual activity so you don't spread it to others. You can and I expect you will live a full and active life.

AmyAngell1

Hi there

You've come to the right place by coming on here everyone is really nice and helpful! Please don't worry, herpes isn't fatal! You can live a happy normal life and also still have a great sex life. It's important to use condoms so you don't spread the infection to your partner and to protect yourself from any other STD. I know you may not be feeling very sensual right now, but once you get over the initial shock your libido and love life will get back to normal.

Here are things I do to help prevent outbreaks:

Drink lots of water and eat a relatively helathy diet

Avoid all nuts and shellfish as they can trigger an outbreak

Don't smoke cigarettes

Do yoga and meditate as stress can be a trigger for an outbreak

When I have an outbreak I use lavender oil on the sores to help dry them out and stop them itching.

I'm new to this site too and so far I have just been reading all the threads and haven't really posted much. Have a read of all the different threads and answers from ppl who have been on this site for a while as this will help you put everything in perspective and realise you can live a normal life, you just have to take a few extra precuations.

I'm also following a new diet to see if I can stop getting outbreaks altogether. I'll let you know how I get on and if it's any good I'll send it to you.

Amy xx

gotitsowhat

One comment

You are definitely not going to die from this! You have a skin infection that is going to periodically flare up...

Although what the poster describes is very common--that is what I live with, an occasional mild outbreak--that is not necessarily what happens to all herpes infected people. A LOT of people NEVER have more than ONE outbreak! In fact, the symptoms of herpes are so mild and so infrequent for most infected people, that most people who have herpes don't know they have it. With any luck, you will never have another outbreak. Or you may be like many of us here, with occasional flareups.

lifeistoshort

helpful

i really am truly grateful for all the advice yall have given me. it truly means alot knowing tht there are ppl in the world who r willing to help others. the information on this site has been great. please keep me going by your up lifted spirits. thanks and god bless