World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
simplysweet

Full STD Panel?

simplysweet

Ok so I'm sure a lot of people wonder this but: why isn't a herpes blood test standard on most STD screenings?? I mean, they test blood for syphilis and I'm pretty sure that one isn't anywhere near as common.

I realize that it takes 3 months to build up antibodies...but shouldn't sexually active people be tested at least once a year? Or at least encouraged to? I think the lack of proper testing is what fuels the stigma and the fear. I went for my blood test 3 days ago and I won't find out for at least another week, but I'm pretty convinced I've been exposed.

Anyway, is there anything that can be done or that is being done to bring attention to this? Is there a petition I can sign??

If most people that have herpes don't know it, then why aren't more people being advised to take this simple test? I bet half the people that fear herpes are carrying the virus themselves.

justmyself

From my understanding, the blood test is quite expensive, so the doctors don't automatically order it, even when you request a "full STD" screening. It is even harder to get in other countries, from what I hear.

Guest Seatortuga

For a variety of reasons....it's not life threatening, it's not necessarily sexually transmitted(Some people on here got it from their Mom, for Christ's sake), most people do have it anyway, the test is expensive, blah blah blah.

So, the ones who are vigilant and find out their HSV status like you and me, get screwed. This is what I get for being f-ing responsible.

SpaceGoat

I think the main reasons are it is not life threatening and unlike many other STD's it does not endanger your reproductive capabilities. Just my thoughts. I was really surprised it wasn't a standard test.. AND I was really surprised about what herpes actually is. The reality is far better than what most of us feared when we heard "herpes".

Lionheart1982

My PCR Herpes Simplex test cost me the same as full HIV and Chlamydia, Hepatitt B,C, Gonorrhea all combined, so I guess it's due to costs.