World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
NHguy111

3 years later WTF?

NHguy111

(short version is that I just got a cold sore 3 years later from my first cold sore. What do I do? I cant get rid of it.)

Man........I dont even know where to start and dont know if this is the correct area on the site for this but here it goes--- I had chicken pox when I was about 8. (chicken pox stays in your body forever after you have it). I had shingles (chicken pox again) when I was 21. The shingles lasted 2 years and was basically just a painful spot in my back, it went away and I got through it with some great massages.

In 2006 I got a cold sore on my upper lip. I dont know why. I had never got one before. I had kissed an asian girl that i was dating about 2 weeks earlier and she gave me oral sex. We had dated for a few months before this, soo dont think I was with a hooker or anything. Anyways.......... I have no clue if the cold sore was from her but I do vaguely rememver that her lips were chapped but she didnt have any cold sores that I could see. Well I ended up getting a cold sore weeks later (Oct 2006) and it sucked!! I blamed it on my shingles but later learned that it was probably from kissing someone and that the shingles was just chicken pox and had nothing to do with cold sores. I got through the cold sore thing and rememver using aclovir ointment (which didnt seem to do jack), a chap stick called Super Lysine, and taking high does of L-Lysine. It took about 10 days and it was gone. Out of fear and wanting to prevent getting another cold sore, I dianosed myself and prescribed L-Lysine 500mg a day. It has been 3 years and I havent got another cold sore until last sunday!!

This really really sucks...... It is soo embarassing!! I ended up popping the blister by accident and then fresh out of the shower I tore it off. Well its almost been a week now and I have messed with the sore alittle to much and I think it is more of a healing issue now than drying out a cold sore issue. I have an extremely public job and it has been tough to go to work like this. I took some sick days but was forced to go to work eventually because I had to do some stuff there.

What am I going to do. If it were only a few days and the sore was gone, no biggie.. But I cant deal with this shit. How do I go 3 damn years without one and now I have one. What the hell!! Last sunday I took some sports enhancment pills that contained L-Tyrosine 50mg. That and some peanuts are the only new things that I have introduced to my diet and I think that they triggered this cold sore. I have been under stress but no more than the last few months. Each day I have taken 3,000mg of lysine and then some pills here and there through the day but I dont know if its helping. I will tell you one thing, this Abrevea crap, doesnt do a god damn thing. If anything it makes it worse and look worse. I started this outbreak using alittle ice (should have done it more), washing with antibac soap, using rubbing alcohol, using hydrogenperoxide, I have stopped using that stuff since it isnt getting better. I am now just using a chap stick ointment called Super Lysine and still taking L-Lysine.

Can any of you help me? Should I be using an anti-viral cream? It seems as though my main issue now is that I kept taking the new skin off the sore and that it hasnt been able to heal. Soo I am being very easy with it now and making sure I dont disturb the sore. The super Lysine works good but I am thinking maybe I should be using Neosporin to help create new skin. Should I get on Valtrex, would this help me for future issues. Ohhh man, I am a tough guy but I dont like going through this stuff alone. I have been changing tooth brushes, soaps, towels, not leaving cups or bottles around. I dont want anyone to get a coldsore cause of me. Washing my hands alot etc etc.. I feel soo bad and feel like a loser. What funny is I want to break up with my girl friend now cause of this and I think I want to be with someone who gets cold sores. I DO NOT want my girl friend to catch this from me. She knew that I got one in 06 when we had just started dating and it wasnt a big deal to her but I know if she ever caught this it would destroy her.

Any suggestions or info is appreciated. thanks for listening to my rant.

NHguy111

Oh and it really sucks not being able to kiss my girl friend. HELL I wont even kiss my dog or cat. Talk about being paranoid. I told my gf that I will wait till I think I am normal again, and then I will wait another week before I go back to kissing. Man :( I feel crappy about myself and thats not like me at all. I am handsome, in shape, have a great career, love my job, make 85k a year, house, the whole nine yards, but I feel really bad about myself since last sunday. This sucks,,, wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

smiles2004

I'm sorry this has really affected you, definitely not a self-esteem booster.

Your OB sounds a little raw now, I would definitely let time takes it course and maybe only apply at night. I'm assuming you feel like people at work, your girlfriend... everyone is going to judge you, but in all honestly, I think you're being the hardest on yourself. Let it go, and try your best to just be you. The coldsore does exist, but there's no reason it should be getting that much attention in your mind. Try to focus on the positive, it could be in your eye, up your nose, Lol, etc. Life could be harder, and there is so much good around for you to enjoy. :)

NHguy111

thanks smiles, I actually know of quite a few people at work that get cold sores but they just get them right on their lip and its not soo obvious like mine is being directly above my lip. I do have a hobby that I am very into that is helping alot but lets face it everytime I have to go into work, I just dont want to.

gotitsowhat

Can you try aloe vera?

To work well, it needs to be the actual cactus plant aloe vera. Most nurseries have it. You break off a piece of the plant, cut or tear it open (the "thorns" on the plant are not actually thorns, they just look like it, it's soft and pliable) and put the clear gooey gel on the outbreak. At night, you use surgical tape to hold a piece of the aloe, gel side down, against the outbreak all night. You will be amazed at how fast this can heal anything. It's good for cuts, small burns, irritations, insect bites and can help mild sunburn, too. I have some growing outside my apartment so I can use it when needed.

Groovaroova

I know a lot of people who get coldsores-practically everyone does. I would say stop being so vain and get over it, you sound like a teenager with a zit.

ObviouslyConfused

re: aloe

Personally, I don't get cold sores (I have GHSV-1), but I've read a lot of information that says it feels good if you put it (aloe piece) in the fridge and let it get nice and cold before you apply it as well :)

Groovaroova
I am handsome, in shape, have a great career, love my job, make 85k a year, house, the whole nine yards, but I feel really bad about myself since last sunday. This sucks,,, wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

You also sound a little bit too proud and dependent upon urself and ur looks-maybe this is karma for being so arrogant.

You know there are people on here with severe genital herpes who have uncontrollable outbreaks and simply can rarely have sex in the year, plus a lot of them have contracted it from cheating partners, and you have the audasity to come on here and moan about how much your life is over from a simple cold sore on your lip?

I cant believe you...plus the bragging about your lifestyle, and how this simply couldnt fit into your ideal perfection of a future. How sad are you?

NHguy111

Wow. Looks like I came to the wrong place for support and help. So much for reaching out and asking for advice. I knew I should have just kept everything in and dealt with this alone. Thanks Groovaroova, nothing like kicking someone when they are down.

SpaceGoat

I understand how this can effect ones self esteem. When a person goes through a bad bout of acne it can wreck their self esteem, this is pretty similar.

If you have not seen your physician (I don't see where you have), go see him/her. If it hasn't cleared up in this long, perhaps you need a prescription cream.

Butterfly of the Moment

Hey there, I've used dynamiclear on my oral herpes before and it works wonders. It turns the sore into a scab within a day. After the scab appears begin applying aloe vera gel onto it...I only get like one outbreak a year if that. A LOT of people who have herpes don't have symptoms. Chances are your girlfriend already has it so she needs to get a blood test. Don't let this fear end a good relationship. This is not the wrong place to come for support. It's helped me tremendously. This forum is full of real people and deal with a diagnosis differently...tough love isn't for everyone, but that shouldn't dissuade you from finding help on here or anywhere else. Everyone needs a little perspective. I wish I only had oral herpes. I feel I could live with that happily and not be afraid to date or tell people about it. It's less stigmatized.

stupidgirl23

I got a tip

VASALINE...it helped me alot....when i get coldsores i put vasoline on it and it sooths it to were it dont hurt and it helps it heal faster...just try to keep vasaline on it at all times...and i would go get checked or something to make sure it isnt anything like herpes or something.

later,

Deborah