World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
goddit22

herpes research

goddit22

HITBYHSV

Interesting to see that someone finally is talking that HSV-2 is a further step in direction of the higher risk in getting HIV infected. HIV infections are increasing would be interesting to know how many who have HSV get infected...

I think its a good argue to get funding to create cure for HSV.

BrownhairBrowneyes

goddit22, i sent an email to bryan cullen at duke university last week and havent heard anything since. i assume you've heard of him, i was just wondering if you knew anything about recent research hes done? everything ive found is with regards to articles about him from 2008.

would love to hear from you x

jackang
Interesting to see that someone finally is talking that HSV-2 is a further step in direction of the higher risk in getting HIV infected. HIV infections are increasing would be interesting to know how many who have HSV get infected...

I think its a good argue to get funding to create cure for HSV.

So it means that HSV is a not priority than HIV,it is sad.The attention of HSV must dependent on HIV,and HSV can affect your life and psychology so much.The fact HSV people will be easy to contract HIV is that the mucous membrane of HSV people have a higher level of CD4+ cell than healthy mucous even the herpes has gone.CD4+ cell is the first target of HIV virus,that the scientist 's new discovery in research.So HSV people must remember it and protect yourself in serious.

Cure Coming Soon
goddit22, i sent an email to bryan cullen at duke university last week and havent heard anything since. i assume you've heard of him, i was just wondering if you knew anything about recent research hes done? everything ive found is with regards to articles about him from 2008.

would love to hear from you x

This is an email I received from Dr. Cullen on July 23, 2009.

"Current research status

Currently, we have completed our work on identifying small regulatory

microRNAs encoded by the genital herpes virus, HSV-2, and it turns out that these are very similar to what we see in HSV-1 (oral herpes). So, a similar treatment approach may succeed with both viruses. We are continuing our efforts to test new “antisense” drugs in mice, and this work is moving rather slowly at present, given the cost of animal experiments. However, our initial data are promising. It will certainly still be years until we have a drug candidate ready for clinical trial. I am sorry that we cannot move faster, but am hopeful that a new grant proposal, which we submitted on July 5, 2009, will be funded and will allow us to proceed more rapidly.

Please be assured that we are continuing to work on the problem of

developing novel HSV-1 and HSV-2 treatment approaches. We do not have a website or mailing list for research updates at the moment, but we are

considering starting one and will certainly include you on it when we do.

This is an email I received today from Dr. Cullen:

"The study section meets on Oct 6th. I should hear my score within a week or so after that, but the final funding decision is made in council in January."

HITBYHSV

Why dont we get together at a seminar like I have suggested so many times - a weekend some place in the States. A cure is only about cash guys - we need to meet to find the funding and get working groups together taking the right actions......when can we meet?