World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
teenie12

herpes and army

teenie12

okay so i just found out i have herpes..still havent been to doc (no health insurance), but ALL symptoms..its freaking awful..and the kicker is I used protection. Eugh, anyways, Im supposed to go to MEPS to take a physical. DOes anyone know if they test for STDS? Someone who actually has experience would be mucho appreciated at this time...

this really sucks, i want to kick the guy in the nuts really hard and spread around that he gave me herpes, but that would just mean they would know i have it

Guest Seatortuga

I'm about 99% sure they don't test for herpes. But, don't go while you are having an outbreak because a doctor does do a visual exam of your genital area. Plus you also have to stand in your underwear for a good while with other girls. Assuming you are a girl.....

devastatedbythis

hi

They will test for STD's but not herpes and if I were you I would never have that placed in your records if the wrong person found it then it would be over. The military is very free with medical records and they will follow you to every unit and you never know who is looking through it. It will not stop you from getting in one of my roomates had it and she was very ashamed. Keep it to yourself if you can see an outside doctor or something I would pay extra to do that but not the military records.

Guest Seatortuga

An extra piece of advice: don't go while on your period, I made that mistake when I went! And devastated is correct as well.

teenie12

thanks so much for your responses, its given me a little hope in my situation...all i wanted to do was join the army go to med school, have a family..really wasnt anticipating this happening, then again im sure no one is

devastatedbythis

teenie

you will be fine and if you need to know anything let me know. Make sure you wear fresh new underwear when you go to meps and take everything seriously they will make you do all kinds of weird exercises and stuff but flow with it.

breckgirl
They will test for STD's but not herpes and if I were you I would never have that placed in your records if the wrong person found it then it would be over. The military is very free with medical records and they will follow you to every unit and you never know who is looking through it. It will not stop you from getting in one of my roomates had it and she was very ashamed. Keep it to yourself if you can see an outside doctor or something I would pay extra to do that but not the military records.

I don't know about that. Don't scare her like that, c'mon. I had herpes when I joined the Navy and I disclosed this at MEPS. Every year I did a PAP or whatever, I disclosed it. It was NEVER the topic of conversation outside of the doctor's office. I never worried that someone who worked in medical would talk about me that way. Besides, the shit would hit the fan if my or anybody's medical information got out like that. HIPAA laws apply to the military as well as the civillian communities. They might delay your departure tho until your OB clears up.

devastatedbythis

breck girl

I am not talking about medical I am talking about the unit. The UA section they have to have a copy of those medical records. What would HIPPA law have to do with someone peeking into your records? what is that anyway?

I was never in the NAVY I am talking about the ARMY that is all I can tell this young lady about and if I were her and they did not ask about it I would not bring it up because into her medical records it goes even the 1SG can peek into those records if they want to trust me on this.

teenie12

thats pretty scary to know that people can peek into your shit..so should i let them know at MEPS that i have it? what do you think i should do

breckgirl

devistatedbythis...All I am saying is this...admin in all the branches works pretty much the same way. Your records are private, especially your medical record. Why would your medical record be anywhere BUT medical? Why would your 1SG need a copy of your medical record? I can see your personnel record, but why medical? As you know, records are chronilogical. It would be in the very back and the chances of anyone seeing it are very slim. Is the ARMY really so petty they would look for stuff to give you shit about? Besides, if herpes is as prevailant as we are led to believe, I am pretty sure it would not be the first time someone saw that.

teenie12...withholding your medical condition is completely up to you. But I would hate to see you sign a statment that says "Everything on this form is true to the best of my knowledge and belief" and then get burned for withholding. Another way to proceed may be to act surprised when the doctor goes down there for a look see and says "were you aware that you had a small legion that may be herpes?" You could say "wha-wha-WHAT!!!???" and then see what they do from that point forward. When I went to MEPS my resting pulse was over 100 beats per minute. That almost kept me out, so they delayed me for 30 days and made me go home and relax, drink NO caffine, and they retested me in 30 days and proceeded from there. Worst case scenario, they will delay you until your OB is completely gone simply for health reasons because it may affect your performance in bootcamp. Another thing, ask your recruiter to delay your trip to MEPS for a month if you really don't want to go there in the throws of an OB, Just tell him something came up and you need to take care of some personal business. They are there to help YOU. Tell ya what I will do...I will go see a recruiter TODAY and ask what the deal is and let you know. Sound good?

teenie12

breckgirl

omg that would be so amazing, i tried calling my recruiter, but hes kind of a dick, so i figured asking him this question lol

devastatedbythis

LOL Breckgirl

This is not funny but now you are asking her to lie. I beg you to trust me on this although everyone cannot get into those files anyone who is in the office such as the UA or anyone else can have access to your medical and dental records are well as your personnel 201 file. I dont remember herpes even been on your records anyway.

Teenie if they ask you tell them if not I would strongly suggest you not have that in your records. Soldiers that have HIV have a special number stamped on the OUTSIDE of the records(on the folder)anyone that sees that file lets say you get your records and have and appointment in which you signed then out whoever looks at it will know. They test for this so of course this will be a part of the record. It is ultimetely up to you and since you cant claim you got it while on duty you will not be covered if there arer complications. I dont know what else to say.

Ktown

Question about disclosing

I am in the same situation as you are Teenie. I go to MEPS next Wednesday for my physical. I am trying to enlist in the Air Force. I have had herpes for 6 years now. I haven't had a OB in year or more. I don't take Valtrex daily I only have it just in case of a OB. I understand about the don't ask don't tell because I certainly wouldn't volunteer this information. However, I found the medical form DD Form 2807-1 that you apparently fill out at MEPS. On this form it specifically asks if you have had or have a STD and herpes is included in parenethesis. So in this situation you would be lying if you said no and I am unsure what to do. Having herpes does not affect my day to day life at all. I have very few outbreaks. I've maybe had 3 or so in the 6 years that I've had it. Do I say no and hope the they don't do a herpes STD check? I am definitely not having a outbreak and they would not know unless they tested for it. I wouldn't have to go through the military either to get medication. The only time in the future I would see it coming up is when I have a child, I would want my doctor to know.

teenie12

yea see my thing is, i still havent been to the doctor for it yet.. (no insurance), so technically there is no trail saying i do have it...i hate lying but i neeeed to get into the army, im hoping for the best and no future outbreaks because the first one last week was god awful

MartinChen

hi, Ktown

I am in the same situation as you are Teenie. I go to MEPS next Wednesday for my physical. I am trying to enlist in the Air Force. I have had herpes for 6 years now. I haven't had a OB in year or more. I don't take Valtrex daily I only have it just in case of a OB. I understand about the don't ask don't tell because I certainly wouldn't volunteer this information. However, I found the medical form DD Form 2807-1 that you apparently fill out at MEPS. On this form it specifically asks if you have had or have a STD and herpes is included in parenethesis. So in this situation you would be lying if you said no and I am unsure what to do. Having herpes does not affect my day to day life at all. I have very few outbreaks. I've maybe had 3 or so in the 6 years that I've had it. Do I say no and hope the they don't do a herpes STD check? I am definitely not having a outbreak and they would not know unless they tested for it. I wouldn't have to go through the military either to get medication. The only time in the future I would see it coming up is when I have a child, I would want my doctor to know.

hi ,Ktown. I think you can pass the MEPS physical test ,but I want to know , can u pass the bloodtest at bootcamp ? and where are u now ? u have join the air force? my friend got the problem same to you ,please tell us how to do ? thank u so much,.....

DStunnerSD
omg that would be so amazing, i tried calling my recruiter, but hes kind of a dick, so i figured asking him this question lol

Here's a simple solution don't provide the recruiter or paperwork with your health insurance. Because that would show RX's for valtrex, the correct answer is that you don't have medical insurance ;). I did this recruiting thing with the Army for awhile in terms of trying to get enlisted. Remember the right hand doesn't know what the left does sometimes. If you provide them with that information they can't access you'll only cause more pain for yourself despite what others might say.

The military doesn't want to take care of enlistee's with prior medical conditions. The Navy denied my friend due to " earwax" or " Surfers ear" he passed the asvab but in order to get enlisted he had to have surgery. Just keep your mouth shut and if you a outbreak during your time in service it happend while your " in service" that way you'll stand a better chance. Don't create another wall for yourself... best of luck.

devastatedbythis

God this is three years old but I say no do not disclose unless they ask

devastatedbythis

three years later but I stand by what I said if anyone new is reading this do not disclose your herpes dx to anyone unless you must your records go whereever you do and anyone can look through them I am telling you this from experience of seeing it happen to other people.