World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
snowfairy

Make-Up

snowfairy

Hey Guys and Girls,

I'm probably not searching properly, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this paranoia. It had been eons since I had an outbreak and the past year I've gotten into makeup hardcore. I love nice things and I've invested in good makeup. This past week or so I've had lowered immune function because cold sores are popping up again. I got one last friday, . I thought it was gone. And was happy and used some lipgloss and then shazam I had one on my lower lip, and then back again on the upper lip on the other side.

THis brings me to my point, I try to avoid using lip products if I think I am going to have a breakout. I am PARANOID about my foundation brush being used close to my lips too during such because I don't want to infect it. The Brush I KNOW I can use alcohol to disinfect and then wash it with brush cleaner or shampoo. The Lipsticks I can probably wipe them off with alcohol.

But I'm not sure what to do about lipglosses. Any tips or tricks for getting gloss out of tubes that come with doe-foot or brush applicators, rather than squeeze bottles. I'm just paranoid about infecting the glosses in between applications I don't share my lip products with anyone else, but it still bothers me.

Maybe its just me overthinking things, I obviously stay away from lip makeup during outbreaks because lipstick and gloss only draw attention to and I imagine would irritate a cold sore too.

I know its a superficial thing to worry about but, we all have guilty pleasures and makeup happens to be mine. LOL :)

Wasn't sure where this would fit so posted here, if its the wrong place. Sorry :)

Shayna

I think this was a good place for this post ;) no worries.

Personally, I think you're over thinking it on the lip gloss. If you're not sharing it, there shouldn't be a problem. Most people keep their makeup much longer than recommended. There is always a chance of bacteria growing after a while and 6 months is when we're supposed to toss the old. (I usually keep mine at least a year)

For personal use, I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to the forum, Snowfairy!

clover

Hi snowfairy,

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in the makeup paranoia department. I'm always worried about whatever I'm using getting infected with the virus and having it spread on my skin through the application process. I know it's ocd but I can't seem to stop being scared about it. I hate it.

MonkeyDance

Would getting a Q-tip and using it to apply - either dipping it directly into the bottle or rubbing it on the lipgloss applicator work?