World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
BeautifullyBroken

could there be a cure?

BeautifullyBroken

so ive been googling a lot trying to find the silver lining to this and ive read a lot that there is already a cure out there but that they wont make it public until like 90% of the population has herpes...

is this all just optimism or is this for real?

i just dont see how there could be a cure and eeveryone wouldn't know about it...

sorry if this is a stupid question. i just want to get facts straight

FaithfulOne
answer is no cure.

That is also ehat I have read.....But, I have also read they are currently workign ona cure, but they are everything else too :twisted:

jacksprat

No virus has a cure, so it's pretty optimistic to suddenly expect one for HSV.

Our best hope is a drug or treatment so potent that it completely suppresses the virus in the ganglia with no OBs or shedding. This is all the cure I need or hope for.

redyellowpurpleblue

so ive been googling a lot trying to find the silver lining to this and ive read a lot that there is already a cure out there but that they wont make it public until like 90% of the population has herpes...

is this all just optimism or is this for real?

i just dont see how there could be a cure and eeveryone wouldn't know about it...

sorry if this is a stupid question. i just want to get facts straight

great! i better start spreading the love some more then!

MissPandora
great! i better start spreading the love some more then!

Too funny. But really, wouldn't life be easier if 90% of the population DID have herpes??

HITBYHSV

.....it would ...... but it would not - if we wont admit we have H.......then the stigma is still there......what I would like to see is that we talk H - as if we did this then it would be easy to find a partner in life.....a normal life could be secured - its up to ourselves to make H "normal"......

MinerT
.....it would ...... but it would not - if we wont admit we have H.......then the stigma is still there......what I would like to see is that we talk H - as if we did this then it would be easy to find a partner in life.....a normal life could be secured - its up to ourselves to make H "normal"......

Thats your opinion on the subject, but people without H are going to find it pretty hard to see H as "normal" as you said. Social stigma will always be there and you cannot break that. Im just hoping for a cure, not really in a hurry to tell the world I have H tbh.

Ripley Scott

I just want all the asymptomatic people to now they're infected...

I mean, we all know the "1 in 4 infected but only 90% of that 25% know it"--if you break that down, that means 25 out of 100 people have it, but only 3 out of 100 KNOW it.

I think it would be a huge step in the right direction if people were just aware of their sexual standing.

HITBYHSV

so right! - we need STD tesing including HSV testing....then loads more would know.....

MissPandora

Two things:

1) I know this has been asked before so bear with me, but if 90% of those with HSV don't know it, how did they get the statistic? Only God would know that these people had it. If the medical field knows about these 90%, then these people must have been diagnosed.

2) HITBYHSV, I got improperly diagnosed with H 2 weeks ago and initially I didn't care so much because I thought the stigma was mostly gone. Then I told 2 guy friends about it and by their horrifying reaction, know that it still strongly exists. This experience has made me not want to be so open about it.

Ripley Scott

1) I know this has been asked before so bear with me, but if 90% of those with HSV don't know it, how did they get the statistic? Only God would know that these people had it. If the medical field knows about these 90%, then these people must have been diagnosed.

I often wonder this, too. But perhaps 90% is hypothesized based on... fark, I dunno. It has to be a hypothesis based on some sort of statistic, like how often a case is exceedingly bad versus how often it's asympotmatic, or how many partners the diagnosed had, or something along those lines.

Seeing as it's impossible for that 90% figure to be concrete, we have to accept that it could also be wrong.

But something tells me it's not too far from the proper figure.

chilla

where the 90% comes from

I believe I read that in 75% of new diagnosed herpes cases the person who they contracted from didn't know they carried the virus. So based off that n other factors, I would image they got that number through extrapolation of that data...I'm not sure but that's where I figured they got that number...it's prolly not accurate as much as in the ball park.

Was23
...if 90% of those with HSV don't know it, how did they get the statistic? Only God would know that these people had it.

Unfortunately, if God knew it, he/she nonetheless didn't tell us. Fortunately, a good scientific study yielded the answer. They tested blood from a large number of people (>10K) to determine if they were seropositive. They also asked them if there were ever diagnosed with genital herpes. In the most recent study (covering 1999-2004), 17% were seropositive for HSV-2 for the 14-49 yo population as a whole (but there were significant differences in the incidence based on sex, age, and race). Only 14% of the people that were seropositive for HSV-2 had said they had been diagnosed with genital herpes.

writeaway

Cut it out saying that viruses can't be cured. Polio, a virus that caused physical handicaps and impairments, has been eradicated, and smallpox, a virus that caused, oh, DEATH has been cured as well. It's one thing to be pessimisstic, it's another to speak in ignorance, so there's some knowledge for free!

ntdc
Cut it out saying that viruses can't be cured. Polio, a virus that caused physical handicaps and impairments, has been eradicated, and smallpox, a virus that caused, oh, DEATH has been cured as well. It's one thing to be pessimisstic, it's another to speak in ignorance, so there's some knowledge for free!

Neither polio nor smallpox can be cured. The viruses were eradicated through vaccination. If smallpox were to break out today many would die as there is no cure or treatment once you are infected. This is why there is a lot of interest from governments in drugs like bavituxiamb to potentially cure smallpox in the event of biological warfare/terrorism.

SiameseDream

Exactly, ntdc is right. Unfortunately there is no cure for viruses, just vaccinations.

Our best hope is to find a way to permanently suppress it, eliminating all viral shedding...or a vaccination.

Cure Coming Soon

Our best hope is to find a way to permanently suppress it, eliminating all viral shedding...or a vaccination.

I'd be happy with both :-D

talesofagirl

Historically speaking, we have not needed cures for viruses. With a few exceptions, we are able to eliminate them on our own. Even swine flu, which is very scary, can be "cured" by the human body.

I don't know why people think that a vaccine will come first. Or at all. They've been trying for decades and have gotten nowhere. In the meantime, the people who make bavituximab have formed a special group to examine/develop its use as an antiviral. I posted a link to the press release in another thread, if anyone is interested.

HSVcurious

Also the quest for finding virus cure's started after 1981 when HIV was discovered, before that there was really no need of finding a cure and instead the focus was more on finding vaccines which they have been successful for some viruses. If we are talking about cures, mostly our immune systems can rid the body of the viruses such as in the case of Hep B, and use of drugs to cure 50% of patients with Hep C which shows that by using drugs it can rid our body of viruses which in other words is still considered a CURE.

It is wrong to say that there will be never a cure for viruses because we are still early in our discoveries. The technology is way advanced now and there are now potential medical breakthroughs for cures as compared to the previous 3 decades. The whole reason that herpes vaccines have failed in the past is because they were vaccines made of outer protein coating or dead viruses. Technologies have changed since then, and they are using vaccines which delete 2 genes from the virus where this idea is totally new and was mooted in 2005 by david knipe. This vaccine has a strong potential of being successful. I am confident that we are on our way for a cure and vaccine and I can say 10 years is a very realistic time frame.

HSVcurious

In a way would it be right for me to say that saying something like "There will be never be a cure for viruses" is like saying "No car can ever reach 2.5 seconds from 0-60 mph) since no car in the past 10 decades have ever reached that much of accelaration. But in 2005, the Bugatti Veyron was able to reach that goal and suprised everyone.

So my point is, as technology advances and medical breakthroughs are discovered finding a cure is very realistic. Let us be suprised 10 years later with a cure for this disease.

Cure Coming Soon

Don't look in the past and it's behind us. You can only look forward and hope that good prevails. You as an individual can shape the future by voicing your thoughts and putting your words to action.

LivingLife77

Agreed

10 years we will see something new.

Knipe, Bloom, Cullen, Haliford and the Pharmas--something will come to help us more! That is what keeps me going people. If I only have 10 miserable years and then 40 good years before I die--I can live with that!! I just don't think I could handle it for the rest of my life without a better super valtrex.