World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
unlucky4life

blood tests

unlucky4life

So, apparently 10% of people w/ HSV1 don't show antibodies in blood tests??? That's a large amount of error! Is this true? My viral culture from June said positive for HSV1 and now blood tests show zilch. I'd rather believe my blood tests. But I don't know......Got a blood test last week. Negative. I got a blood test 3 months ago too (upon symptom display) and it was negative. And before that, I got a blood test 9 years ago and it was negative. My culture was done in June. So, how long has this virus been in me?? I find this very disturbing! I can deal w/ having it but consistency would be nice and it'd be nice to know how long it's been brewing. If I lack antibodies, does it mean I have very low grade form of virus (so it may never recur)?? Does lack of antibodies and lack of sores mean I am not contagious?? Thanks for your help. Tests were IgG Hsv 1 & 2 specific. Not sure about blood test type 9 years ago.

hopeless78

i was going to ask the same thing. apparently, the culture would be the sure fire sign over a blood test. can blood test be false negatives indefinitely for some people?

bee54

negative antibodies

My understanding is that the viral culture is the most sensitive. If your viral culture was positive, you have the disease - you simply haven't yet "seroconverted." In other words, your body hasn't started making antibodies. Immunodeficiency, ie AIDS/HIV, can cause this.

Here's my story...

I haven't seroconverted either, and its very disturbing. In February I had two new partners right after Brazilian waxing. Since February I have been getting white painful blisters in my genitals that pop and become ulcers. Sounds like herpes, no? My doctor said it was herpes and wanted to start me on valtrex. Wait, though, it gets complicated. I had laboratory testing. IgG, IgM, and viral cultures were ALL negative! The rash went away. The rash came back. I went back to my doctor. She tested me again. IgG, IgM, viral cultures - all negative! So, back to receiving oral sex, again with new partners (not a bright idea, I know). The rash came back. I went to a dermatologist. She said try two weeks of an antifungal cream, two weeks of a steroid cream. The rash went away, I went back to receiving oral sex. Now, my rash is back. It's been 6 months - I must have seroconverted by now! I go to the doctor's tomorrow. From the research I've found, most people seroconvert after @ 45 days. I'm not sure why I didn't.

I just can't think of anything else this could be besides herpes.

Herpes often goes along with HIV infection. It If you have HIV, you may not mount an antibody response. So, I got tested for HIV - negative two times. I've been tested for syphillis -negative. I'm on an antifungal for a toe fungus (terbinafine) - that should eradicate any vaginal yeast, no? Argh! I want resolution. I also want this burning irritating rash to go away.

gotitsowhat

Just some facts

You did not say what type you have but you implied by your question that it's hsv1. Do you realize that around 80% of the north American population has hsv1? And the percentage of hsv1 infected is higher in parts of Europe. In other words, having hsv1 is, statistically, NORMAL. Of course, most people do not have any symptoms and therefore do not go to a doctor and get diagnosed. So most people who have hsv1 do not know they have it. Most people get it in the form of cold sores, usually in their childhood from a family member who kissed them or shared a glass with them. Some people who have hsv 1 get cold sores but many have it dormant for years with no outbreaks of any kind.

Hsv1, genital herpes, is getting more common every day due to the popularity of oral sex. It is more stigmatized in general than the cold sore type of hsv1 but it is basically just the same virus.

unlucky4life

I've been tested for HIV 4 times since April! I do not have it. But now I'm afraid that hasn't seroconverted either! I just wonder if I have HSV 1 & 2. I tested positive for HSV 1 by culture. So, I just want to know what is going on w/ my body so I don't always assume it's herpes. I've been to MD numerous times. And apparently had no OB since June. Unless itching counts. But in that general region one may itch. I'm seriously paranoid about it. I do have HSV1 genitally. I tested negative for all other diseases (syphilis, HIV, hep even HSV) so does that mean I could really have those too?? I was going to get my annual pap 11/30/09 & ask for another series of blood tests. My MD said it's very unlikely to have HIV if it hasn't showed up by now. But I'm surprised HSV hasn't shown up by now. But someone told me 10% of people w/ HSV 1 never show it in their blood. So, I either haven't seroconverted or just 10% of population.

WTF